1976 FJ40 South American - Adding Brake Booster, Spacer, 3 Hole Firewall, Conundrum. Can You Identify This Booster/Master Combo? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

not sure if you got your answer but the one you posted from the fj company looks similar to my first gen tacoma that i ended up using in my 48 willys. works great.

booster.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks @Ozpall appreciate you posting up the image. I think the Tacoma first generation booster is still larger than the tiny booster used by the @The FJ Company. As shown.

1658511718762.png

We had a 76 with this configuration in the shop for a booster/dual circuit conversion this week, I had seen this thread before but only grazed over it and didn’t realize how much closer the clutch master is to the brake master then a booster-version firewall, so basically any Toyota booster is too big.

So I sourced the smallest brake booster I could find with the stud configuration I liked. I would love to find one with a 4-bolt master cylinder pattern so the Cruiser MC could work. This one is 4runner 1” bore so a touch on the big side but should be ok.

drew up and CNC’d an adapter, drilled the three holes in the firewall and put studs in the adapter and nuts on the inside of the dash like the normal booster configuration.
I wish we could have cut/welded the pedal bucket and firewall skin but this truck actually has a pretty nice paint job I didn’t want to deal with. On a patina truck or full restore from the beginning I would cut/graft the later style pedal bucket

DDDC7918-F73E-4BE4-A325-8A04A114903B.jpeg
714C7E5C-A2FD-4888-BFCC-C01CFE582925.jpeg

53AFBAC6-6D3E-4FD6-B870-1123C45974A1.jpeg
77F7BD68-D4D6-452A-90D2-756B6F5F738B.jpeg

Oh yeah, happy to make more of the adapters as well as provide booster and MC if anyone needs to tackle the same project as soon as I test drive this one.

That looks great. I don’t think that booster will work with a stock firewall accelerator linkage bracket?

off topic, something looks odd with the steering shaft going into the box

That looks great. I don’t think that booster will work with a stock firewall accelerator linkage bracket?
This truck has a cable, 73 bellcrank and 69 carb conglomerate for whatever reason. I’ll find a throttle linkage bracket and hold it up, I think the bolt holes are still there and visible

This one, right?

31C15456-74CE-4724-8A7E-3053F33D63A1.jpeg

Yes, that’s the linkage firewall bracket.

I think a lot of the SA trucks have a cable setup instead of linkage. Some 3F setups are like that too.

@cruisermatt , is That truck disk front or all drums? Cool solution! How many inches does the adapter, booster and MC assembly come from firewall?

Yes, that’s the linkage firewall bracket.

Excuse the poor picture and throttle cable in the way but I don’t think it should be a problem.
I think this is the same booster FJCO used on that orange 40.
We are reinstalling everything now.

FA22FD7C-8EA9-4EF4-9F54-695B9475FB8E.jpeg

I think a lot of the SA trucks have a cable setup instead of linkage. Some 3F setups are like that too.

@cruisermatt , is That truck disk front or all drums? Cool solution! How many inches does the adapter, booster and MC assembly come from firewall?

Correct but this truck is pretty obvious it’s a early style gas pedal and cable retrofitted to a linkage- type firewall.

Oh yeah, happy to make more of the adapters as well as provide booster and MC if anyone needs to tackle the same project as soon as I test drive this one.
Is this a compact Geo conversion? Would this setup work for early US 40s with the 3 hole single circuit MC with a cut rib (thanks to the PO)? Currently running w/o a booster with the JT outfitters 3 to 4 hole bracket

Is this a compact Geo conversion? Would this setup work for early US 40s with the 3 hole single circuit MC with a cut rib (thanks to the PO)? Currently running w/o a booster with the JT outfitters 3 to 4 hole bracket
It might be very similar sized but it’s not the geo metro booster.
Yes, these +70 non-US 40’s are essentially a pre-70 40 but without the firewall rib.

@MDH33

10-5/8” from firewall. Plenty of clearance to carb. This is a F carb but 2F manifold

9269E7E8-8835-492D-B8E0-CFFA53965273.jpeg
FC6F841B-25EB-41B0-ACF4-6BF1C785A383.jpeg

Well we test drove it, it works pretty good but there’s not a ton of pedal modulation, going to see if I can find a smaller master cylinder that fits this booster.

@cruisermatt can you confirm where the clutch pedal return spring is mounted on the 1976 green truck with three hole firewall? The four hole firewall with tandem master and booster bucket type indexes to the left fender a bit requiring the brake pedal to straddle the steering column as shown in the image below. With this, the dash spring hole aligns well with clutch pedal.

I’m curious where they mounted the return spring on the truck you are working on.

IMG_2206.jpeg

@cruisermatt can you confirm where the clutch pedal return spring is mounted on the 1976 green truck with three hole firewall? The four hole firewall with tandem master and booster bucket type indexes to the left fender a bit requiring the brake pedal to straddle the steering column as shown in the image below. With this, the dash spring hole aligns well with clutch pedal.

I’m curious where they mounted the return spring on the truck you are working on.

I’ll see if I can get a good picture.

We also changed out the master cylinder for a 7/8” bore, played with the booster adjustment and the brakes are working good now. It’s getting sent home after it gets a pan gasket replacement.

Nice work! Sounds like success to me. So booster and tandem master solution for a South American market 76 with 3 hole firewall.

Thanks for posting where they installed the spring. I’m in a debate with ToyotaMatt on the clutch pedal spring for markets with the single master pedal bucket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom