SOLD 1974 FJ40 FST with parts stash, Central Texas $25k obo - SOLD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Unfortunately, it's time to try to sell our FJ40. If you want to read more up on it and see pics (I'll post some more but I don't want to double post the same pics, go here: Putting out feelers on 1974 FJ40 Worth

In short, we can't store her anywhere close and I don't want to ruin her.

My wife and I talked about finishing out the bows and getting a top but then we'd just be asking more and, seeing how many people are selling tops now, the new owner can pick out their color.

When we got her about 5 years ago, she had 27000 miles (looks and owner claimed original but no real proof), her master cylinder was leaking all over the place and it took a full choke pull and a can of carb starter with a lighter to get her running. The electrical was all dorked up (they tried rewiring the lights for a little boat trailer). I don't know how long the original owners had stored it in a barn but all of the hoses were dried out and cracked.

She now had new hoses, replaced the aisin (sp) carb with another aisin (sp x 2), starts without touching the choke, and I figured out the wiring. I'm not a wrencher and thought this would be a could project to learn on. The 40 was stuck in our garage for at least 2 years before I was able to get all of that figured out. We had it towed to a real mechanic to get the brakes fixed, the master cylinder replaced, and to get it to run for more than 30 seconds at a time.

The rest is in the thread - basically we moved to a new town with an old house a year ago. No garage and we can't put in a carport.

So it's a 1974 FST. Surface rust only. I have 90% of the original bows. They are going to need a little work. I have a crapton of parts that I'm including:

• Kayline bikini top (on the 40)
  • Partial set of FST Bows
  • Set of Bestop Bows and installation hardware
  • Set of FST Doors, good plexiglass, no canvas
  • Set of Hardtop doors used for parts. Good glass. Was originally going to use them on the 40 but then I read the weight is bad for the FST hinges.
  • Set of custom half doors (on 40 - love these things, I haven’t seen a better done set).
  • 1974 Carb (scavenged for parts)
  • Original Toyota seatbelts (put in new ones and shoulder belts for the front)
  • 5 point Racing harness seatbelts (came with the besttop seat)
  • Original grill (replaced with another 1974 grill)
  • White besttop soft top
  • Original steering wheel (replaced with another 1974 steering wheel because the original was cracked)
  • Besttop rear seat (bought because my daughter wouldn’t ride in the jump seats. Didn’t install because I didn’t want to cut the truck)
  • Dizzy caps, hoses (I had to replace every hose because the 40 was locked up in a barn for decades and they had rotted or had mud-dauber nests in them)
  • Original side view mirrors (one was cracked, replaced with another set of 1974 mirrors)
  • Roll bar pads (bought extra incase I needed to replace the original)
  • Bag with some of the original hoses I replaced (in case I needed to size them… or I’m a part hoarder)
  • Carb gaskets & rebuild kit
  • Door limiters, carb insulator (hard to find), original turn signal switch, door parts, original shifter knob
  • Door latch parts
  • Steering wheel remover tool, extra fan belt, 1974 windshield washer (never replaced but needs to be), radiator cap
  • Original grease gun (I have a tool kit but it’s for a FJ60 so I’m keeping it)
  • Original carb fuel line, extra hoses
  • Reconditioned 1974 Master Cylinder (can never have too many, I guess)
  • More door parts
  • PCV Valve and an extra rearview mirror
  • Two 1974 seat headrests and another pad for rollbars
  • Steering wheel casings
  • Cigarette lighter that came with the vehicle
  • Manuals and wiring diagrams
  • Bag full of the buttons and stuff for besttop soft
  • 2 extra sets of door side FST hinges
  • Original eyebolts for the canvas door safety straps, engine light, rear holders for the FST soft top
  • Original FST door safety straps (bought from an old Toyota mechanic off of eBay. Never seen the light of day (until I took the pic).
We'd like $25k obo... We are in the Bastrop area of Central Texas and we would consider knocking the price down a little bit for cash and a decent golf cart. (Yeah, my life has come to this...)

I don't want to ship it, I'd like to meet the person that is buying her so you can drive her and be positive on what you are buying. I'm not in this to rip people off but I'm also not in this to be giving something away. The plan, when we found her, was to keep her forever. Unfortunately the house trumped the 40. If we can't sell her for what we are looking for, then we'll keep her and do the best we can to protect her from the weather.

I'm hoping whoever buys her will be somebody that will preserve her. She's an awesome little 40 and really deserves to be back hunting on a ranch or a daily driver somewhere where she can be enjoyed.

Pics follow...

IMG_1510.JPG

IMG_1511.JPG

IMG_1512.JPG

IMG_1513.JPG

IMG_1516.JPG

I like the patina and looks pretty clean. I have the same year and color. You might be a tad rich on the asking price, at least for this forum, but I'd imagine you could get your asking price via ebay. If you were able to prove those are actual miles, then you would have no problem at all selling. GLWS!
Thanks Pat. When we bought it, I wasn't too concerned about the miles. The price was right and she had the patina and zero cancer that I had been looking for. I should have asked if they had anything on the miles and there is a file around here that they gave me but I don't remember seeing anything in there. I did replace the brake and the accelerator pads, not because they were worn down but because, like just about every hose, they were cracked.

I just don't see the people going through the hassle to roll the mileage back or whatever but not fixing the hoses, replacing the master cylinder, fixing the carb and etc.

I may just have to bite the bullet and get a compression check done. If it turns out that it is officially the 27000 miles, I can up the asking price, right? ;)

Ugh, eBay.

The problem is it could have 127K or 227K since the odometer only goes up to 5 digits. I don't think there is a rollback issue. I have the same thing with mine. I bought it with 38K on it, but I think its probably 138K. A compression test won't tell you a lot as far as mileage, but it would tell you the condition of the engine. Granted the 1.5F is a workhorse, so even with 127K it would probably test pretty well if it was maintained.

It does look pretty clean under the hood though.

The problem is it could have 127K or 227K since the odometer only goes up to 5 digits. I don't think there is a rollback issue. I have the same thing with mine. I bought it with 38K on it, but I think its probably 138K. A compression test won't tell you a lot as far as mileage, but it would tell you the condition of the engine. Granted the 1.5F is a workhorse, so even with 127K it would probably test pretty well if it was maintained.

It does look pretty clean under the hood though.

I know - it's a freaking mystery. The original owner used it to hunt. There were shotgun racks under both rear seats (brackets still on the right side seat) and one drilled into the dash pad. He also had something rigged to the sidesteps because there are two holes drilled into them and an outline of a different color green that he rattle canned on whatever was there. I don't see him using it as a daily driver. Then you factor in the condition of the hoses and the thousand mud-dauber nests that were in it - it sat for a long time. The grandson who sold it to me had 4 other vehicles and sold it so he could put money into them.

Then the numbers - they are super straight. Most of the original mile cruiser claims that I've seen don't have straight digits.

Regardless, she runs great. I've accidentally squawked those back tires more than a few times. Very fun to drive. It'll make somebody (with a garage) very, very happy.

Is your 40 in Austin or Alpine? I imagine it'd be a lot more fun to drive in Alpine.

Mine is in Austin. It is a work in progress. I have a 80 series in Alpine, but eventually the 40 will be there when more road ready and once we move to Alpine full time. It should be lots of fun there for sure. My 40 was a ranch one as well, in Idaho, so had a gun rack too. It doesn't appear to have been abused, but it was very well used for sure. Yours will sell as long as you are are patient. You might consider Craigslist? I didn't see it on there when perusing yesterday. Too bad you don't at least have a carport! Or you could put a hardtop on it?

Mine is in Austin. It is a work in progress. I have a 80 series in Alpine, but eventually the 40 will be there when more road ready and once we move to Alpine full time. It should be lots of fun there for sure. My 40 was a ranch one as well, in Idaho, so had a gun rack too. It doesn't appear to have been abused, but it was very well used for sure. Yours will sell as long as you are are patient. You might consider Craigslist? I didn't see it on there when perusing yesterday. Too bad you don't at least have a carport! Or you could put a hardtop on it?
Alpine full time - that would be awesome! We moved to Smithville to get away from the city but Austin is growing so freakin' fast - and everybody else seems to have the same idea. I think Alpine is probably a safe city escape. The farthest west I've been is Del Rio - One of these days I want to load up one of the pros and see the Davis Mountains.

Anyways, back on topic.

I have put it up on the Austin Craigslist for $22k - just updated yesterday. Patience is something I definitely have. $20k is pretty much the agreed upon bottom line with the wife. If we can't sell it for that then we'll just sit on it and keep it out of the weather the best we can.

I thought about the hardtop back when we had a garage but I seem to remember reading that you had to do some modifications. At this point, we'd have to hang the hardtop from a pecan tree when we weren't using it. I'm sure that would be stamped "MUD-Approved" but I doubt the city would like that.

Wife still won't budge on modifying/adding onto or replacing the gazebo so old Bernie stays for sale.

I forgot to put in my opening diatribe that the title for the FJ40 is clear and in hand.

Price bump to $19500 obo - Price includes all the soft-top stuff (Best Top, Kayline bikini, bows & Factory Bows), the carb parts, the original straps, headrests, half doors in the pics, and all original parts that came with the 40 (includes the original FST doors, steering wheel, etc). I'll be keeping the hard donor doors and a set of the FST hinges (2 sets are included in the price).

I can't prove that it has it's original mileage but, after looking at some of the papers they included in the sale, I'm pretty sure it is. The original owner died in late April of 2008. In early May of 2008, his wife or somebody was trying to get a valuation on his 40. They printed out the form they were filling out on vintageoffroad.com and it cut off a lot of the text. But they listed the mileage as 27,189. The current mileage is around 27,280. Ultimately, it was left to his grandson.

There are papers printed from 2001-2003 from Cool Cruisers and places like that about the restoration process. Obviously he thought about it but never got around to it. That's all I got for any semblance of proof, besides the shape of the body itself.

Anyways, $19500 or best offer. I'm not doing it any favors by leaving it covered in the backyard. I can store the parts but not her. If you are interested in more than the parts I said, let me know and we can talk about it.
IMG_1701.JPG

Thanks - we need to look into that. My wife's notes from the sale said "Passed compression test" but we, of course, didn't ask for a copy of it. We never thought we'd be selling it so we didn't care. The body was in such great shape for it's age... Lesson learned.

It may be a sacrilege but I'd like a FJ in the physical shape of yours but I'd need to convert to a hardtop and wouldn't want all the extra parts body parts and tops you have.

It may be a sacrilege but I'd like a FJ in the physical shape of yours but I'd need to convert to a hardtop and wouldn't want all the extra parts body parts and tops you have.
I originally was looking for a hardtop 40 and then I laid my eyes on this one... I thought about putting a hardtop on this back when we had a garage but I thought I read somewhere that you have to do modifications. Add that to the fact that the heat index is about 400 degrees here 95% of year, and it didn't make sense to me.
I'm originally from the Petoskey area (a town about 10 miles east of it)- we are actually going to be heading up there in a few weeks to visit family. I love Traverse City - should have been the capital of Michigan.

$3k seems a little low imho- it should easily fetch $10-12k.
Ah, I was talking about him already owning two 40's. For 3k, I'd have to drive her to the top of a bluff overlooking the Colorado River, put her in neutral, and give an accidental nudge so I can collect the insurance money. ;)

Insurance will likely put you back to square one....$3k unfortunately. If your carb is tuned and will get you up the Colorado bluff to send it to the insurance adjuster.......its safe to say a well tuned FST should pull $9-10k and put you waaaaay ahead. :)

Last edited:
At least I would know who to call for restoration advice after I collect the insurance money and pull her out of the water - nice job on your 74.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom