1971 Hilux (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just returned from a hunting trip out west and found(barn find) a 1971 toyota hilux that I can buy. It is a complete truck except for the radio and a few other dash items. I did google search and it is the green color.

There is no rust. frame is solid. Just wondering what these things are worth, parts sourcing, etc. Has a ding on the passenger door. Other than that, it appeared to have an 8RC motor? maybe, the decal was hard to read, but definately a 4 popper.

I asked a couple of moderators about this truck, but I figgered I would ask the massses.

Let me know
Scott

At that age and condition, it's worth exactly what you're willing to pay for it. My son paid $5500 for his '87 4Runner about 18 months ago. Most people would think he's insane for paying that for a truck that old, it had 220K on it at the time. But in mint condition, in New England, and for the right person, it was a bargain.

PICS!!! WE WANT PICS!!!

At that age and condition, it's worth exactly what you're willing to pay for it. My son paid $5500 for his '87 4Runner about 18 months ago. Most people would think he's insane for paying that for a truck that old, it had 220K on it at the time. But in mint condition, in New England, and for the right person, it was a bargain.

PICS!!! WE WANT PICS!!!

I did not take pix, however this is exactly what it looks like minus the restoration this person did to this one.
0709mt_07_z+1971_toyota_hi_lux+front_view.jpg

Just like this minus the restoration? That's a lot of help! :D If it runs, then 500-1500 depending on just how nice it... if it doesn't run then I'd only pay up to 500ish... But an old 2wd truck is not really on my radar, so I may not be the best person to give advice...

main thing is availability of parts, etc. Don't want to buy it , if parts are all discontinued...

If you're thinking a full on restoration, then I think some parts may be a bit of an easter egg hunt, but I don't think you'll have too much trouble. I'd go into a dealership some time when they won't be too busy, and see if they can get things like window and door rubber... etc.

I believe that photo is of the truck which Marv restored. He has a reasonable cache of parts for the old Stout/Hilux. I am not sure if the cost of shipping those parts to Europe would make it unreasonable for you though.

Sadly, Toyota is a terrible company when it comes to catering to enthusiasts. They simply do not produce that many parts for the old rigs.

If you like the truck and the lines speak to you, then I say get it and restore it. They are not making rigs like that anymore, and they should be loved and cared for. Personally, I think they are very cool.

Cheers,

Josh

I have a 71 with the 18rc motor parts are hard to find but they are there it will be an easter egg hunt but the thing is solid steel. mine needs some carb help and still gets 25mpg. I did find air oil filter and water pump at the local auto shop but brakes were difficult, we rebuilt them using the stuff that was in there and they work great.... not much room in the cab and its not fun to sleep in it either, drove it 700 miles with my son. tires are cheep tho
k

I believe that photo is of the truck which Marv restored. He has a reasonable cache of parts for the old Stout/Hilux. I am not sure if the cost of shipping those parts to Europe would make it unreasonable for you though.

I don't live in Europe. God's country is in Wisconsin.
OTH- I am still waiting for the call back on this thing. I will call Marv and see what he has for parts. Definately a unique rig tho.

Resto looks alot easier than my 40 series. IIRC correctly it did have the 8RC motor. Thought is said 18RC, but the decal was worn.
Best
Scott

I don't live in Europe. God's country is in Wisconsin.
OTH- I am still waiting for the call back on this thing. I will call Marv and see what he has for parts. Definately a unique rig tho.

Resto looks alot easier than my 40 series. IIRC correctly it did have the 8RC motor. Thought is said 18RC, but the decal was worn.
Best
Scott

Sorry Scott, no offence intended; the Norwegian flag in your Avitar made me think you were in Norway. I would never intentionally call someone a European who didn't deserve it:).

Cheers,

Josh

Sorry Scott, no offence intended; the Norwegian flag in your Avitar made me think you were in Norway. I would never intentionally call someone a European who didn't deserve it:).

Cheers,

Josh

No worries.
Called $or, and of course Marv is on vacation for 10 days. Still no contact from the owner of the hilux. I already have plans on pulling that motor and having Steve(poser) rebuild that thing....

Wise choice on the rebuild.

say........where you been an yway?

I have yet to hear back from the owner. Now I am ready.
Summer is my busy time. Now I have time, like restorations...
OTH- Indian summer is coming starting on Sat. , so back to work..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom