For Sale 1969 FJ40 No Title Houston, Texas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I acquired this 1969 FJ40 last year before starting school, under the delusion that I would restore it to concours-level perfect. Didn't take long to fully despise bodywork. Body is exceptionally rusty, frame has several holes, and there are no front seats. Drivetrain appears solid. Engine runs without any knocking or other bad sounds, and I never had the floor solid enough to shift the transmission. Column shift 3-speed with vacuum shift transfer case. More pictures will follow soon. As stated above, I do not have a title for this vehicle. USD 4000 '1000' Or Best Offer.

Last edited:
Anything of value seems to be gone or ruined already. Why is it you think this is worth more than a couple of dollars? The issue with "no title" alone makes it almost worthless. Shot body and shot frame doesn't help either. No one in their right mind is going to pay 4,000 for "the engine seems to run".

Anything of value seems to be gone or ruined already. Why is it you think this is worth more than a couple of dollars? The issue with "no title" alone makes it almost worthless. Shot body and shot frame doesn't help either. No one in their right mind is going to pay 4,000 for "the engine seems to run".
I don't have the equipment or the patience to fix the problems with the body and frame, but the drivetrain itself should be fine. This is more directed at someone willing to part it out or use as a parts car rather than something turnkey. The engine runs and idles after I rebuilt the carburetor. As for the price, $4000 is rather excessive, but I'm more than willing to negotiate. I figured that someone on this forum would have some use for this POS before I send it across the scales.

I'd pay $150 for the front bib if it's not rotten.

More photos, as promised. I can provide additional photos if y'all would like.

Robert, If you determine to part out the 69. I have an interest in a few parts. Mainly the long rear jump seats and "FD" under dash knob for engaging the 4WD. I am in Austin and have friends/ family in Houston. Thanks,

TIL from FJ40 Rear Jump Seat - $0.00 : CruiserParts.net, Toyota Landcruiser Parts

There are 7 total different Jump Seats. After pricing restoration on the seats, I don't know if they'll work for me. As I have a '71 and a roll bar.

1) - 1963-1969 - This is the long style that has 2 bolt holes per a leg. This style of Jump Seat is not meant for an FJ40 that has a Roll Bar. It will not fit correctly with the Roll Bar.
2) - 1970-1973 - This is the long style that has 1 bolt hole per a leg. This type of Jump Seat is not meant for an FJ40 that has a Roll Bar. It will not fit correctly with the roll bar.
3) - 1973-1975 - This is the short style for roll bar type FJ40. These have a bad tendency to brake at the joints.
4) - 1976-1977 - This is the short style for the roll bar style FJ40. These have been set up with a slightly better bumper design. They still have a tendency to break easily at the joints.
5) - 1978 - This is the short style for the roll bar type FJ40 that is an excellent upgrade for all the earlier year FJ40s. These are black and have a fold down support leg that help to prevent the breaking at the joints like the previous years and versions of the Jump Seat for the FJ40.
6) - 1979-1981 - This is the short style Jump Seat that is meant for the roll bar style FJ40. It is a bit updated from the 78 style with a steel bottom plate that is at the edge instead of the inset.
7) - 1982-1985 - This is the short style Jump Seat that is meant for the roll bar type FJ40. This has been updated to have a smaller fold down leg.

A thought on the title...Some states don't issue a title for a vehicle that age. Alabama is such a state. You shouldn't have an issue selling it to someone in a state that's not going to care about the title anyway. I have 8 vehicles, all older, and very few had a title when I bought them. The ones that did I kept in a file for history sake. The state does a VIN inspection, verifies that it's not stolen, and gives you your registration.

A thought on the title...Some states don't issue a title for a vehicle that age. Alabama is such a state. You shouldn't have an issue selling it to someone in a state that's not going to care about the title anyway. I have 8 vehicles, all older, and very few had a title when I bought them. The ones that did I kept in a file for history sake. The state does a VIN inspection, verifies that it's not stolen, and gives you your registration.
Thanks for the info; it definitely shouldn't be a problem if someone intends to use it as a trail rig. I've read about certain workarounds that involve titling a vehicle through Vermont, then transferring the title to their state. As I've said earlier in this thread, I'd like to cut my losses on this project and sell it to someone who will appreciate it, rather than send it across the scales for scrap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom