1969 FJ40: Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HemiAlex

Long live the 2F
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
yotaoilfilters.com
I may or may not have a project in the works. I've got a 60 that works, so its about time I got a 40 to match its rusty glory.

I'm starting to evaluate what I've gotten into, but first I've got a few questions.

1. What carb is suggested for a direct replacement to this mid 69 build truck?

2. I've got a spare 2F electronic distributor, should I swap it in?

3. Can a 2F fuel pump be used on the F motor?

4. Does anyone make a brass radiator? The stocker is too far rotten to work with.

5. Should I covert to a later style tank or buy the CCOT just for this model?

Thanks in advance for the beginner questions.

I may or may not have a project in the works. I've got a 60 that works, so its about time I got a 40 to match its rusty glory.

I'm starting to evaluate what I've gotten into, but first I've got a few questions.

1. What carb is suggested for a direct replacement to this mid 69 build truck?

2. I've got a spare 2F electronic distributor, should I swap it in?

3. Can a 2F fuel pump be used on the F motor?

4. Does anyone make a brass radiator? The stocker is too far rotten to work with.

5. Should I covert to a later style tank or buy the CCOT just for this model?

Thanks in advance for the beginner questions.

The correct early fuel Tank, Radiator and I believe 1F fuel pump are still available from Toyota. Give Beno or Cruiser Outfitters a call.

Carb - find a used one on the classifieds I believe the older ones use a cable vs mechanical linkage (not 100% certain). Check out Trollhole carbs he sells the cable type ones. Also Mark’s Off-road certainly has rebuilt carbs that will fit your needs.

Fuel tank 77100-60012
Fuel pump 23100-61011

I found this note for older cruisers (pre-73) - For the fuel pump you will need to install your old fuel line fittings in place of the ones on the new pump. They will thread directly into the pump body, as the thread pitch is the exact same.

Radiator might not be available - newer ones are, I’m not sure on the fit into an older cruiser. @Racer65 might now. He sells lots of parts that you may need:

City Racer LLC

Carb - find a used one on the classifieds I believe the older ones use a cable vs mechanical linkage (not 100% certain). Check out Trollhole carbs he sells the cable type ones. Also Mark’s Off-road certainly has rebuilt carbs that will fit your needs.

Fuel tank 77100-60012
Fuel pump 23100-61011

I found this note for older cruisers (pre-73) - For the fuel pump you will need to install your old fuel line fittings in place of the ones on the new pump. They will thread directly into the pump body, as the thread pitch is the exact same.

Radiator might not be available - newer ones are, I’m not sure on the fit into an older cruiser. @Racer65 might now. He sells lots of parts that you may need:

City Racer LLC

70-73 used the cable. Attachment changed during this time but still a cable. The 3/69-9/69 two barrel air cleaner did not clamp to the throat of one barrels before or two barrels thru 74 model. It had a stud. The 2F carburator used a stud but is a different height. Run a 70-73 would need to get a matching air cleaner.

Would need to get a different push rod cover to run the 60 series distributor. Not sure how much it would help a F145. If you don't care if it's stock would upgrade to a 74 or newer with the improved oiling system.

79+ fuel pump had a return line. Believe this was when a spacer was first used. Could cap off the return line but run without a spacer the pump would be short lived. My 79 fuel pump is stamped steel crimped together with soldered fittings. Not sure if it's stock or not but would require flexible fuel hose to use on earlier models.

73-78 gas tank used a different style fill neck. Not sure what CCOT sells, I've collected spares over the years. Easiest is a direct replacement. 69 will not have any extra fittings. Fill neck with vent next to it, Outlet to the fuel pump on side and drain on the bottom. 71 gas tanks had extra emissions fittings and all 72+ had extra fittings.

Never researched radiators since I collected a number of used radiators. Should probably have a couple gone thru before all the old school radiators shops are gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom