1968 Fj40 locked up when starting. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought a used 2F from an '83 FJ60 with 160K miles that had the exact same thing happen - the valve seat cracked in half, fell down, and bounced around inside the cylinder. The PO drove it that way for quite a while. The piston top was, shall we say, brinnelled.

The engine would turn (with a wrench) about 300 degrees either way, but not go all the way around.

The good news is that I paid $100 for this fully loaded 2F and was able to salvage many useful and saleable parts from it.

Looks like the Man-a -fre header I run on my 72 FJ-40. Engine #2 came with the header. I made my own stepped washers from the base of 50 BMG brass instead of using 1/2 washers to shim the 1/4" difference in thickness between the aluminum intake and the steel header flange. I installed a double manny gasket "wet" and have longer studs to make up for my improvements. Header is now on engine #3, still using that same gasket set with like 100,000 miles so far. Engine #2 lost the top a piston.

Update spent some time last night at my man Cruiser Matt’s shop last night re assembling a fresh head he had laying around. And was willing to part with. You know this guy is one awesome individual. Not only is his shop a candy store for parts but he will give you the shirt of his back to help you out. I have seen him do it for complete strangers and he does it time and time again for me. If you need anything do yourself a favor and hit him up at info@cruisermatts.Com or his website www.cruisermatts.Com.

IMG_1273.jpeg

IMG_1270.jpeg

IMG_1268.jpeg

Update spent some time last night at my man Cruiser Matt’s shop last night re assembling a fresh head he had laying around. And was willing to part with. You know this guy is one awesome individual. Not only is his shop a candy store for parts but he will give you the shirt of his back to help you out. I have seen him do it for complete strangers and he does it time and time again for me. If you need anything do yourself a favor and hit him up at info@cruisermatts.Com or his website www.cruisermatts.Com.

View attachment 3379926

View attachment 3379927

View attachment 3379928

Today I spent some time cleaning my block and installed a nice head gasket from rock auto and new oil pan gasket. And mounted the head I got assembled last night. I did not change out the piston because I’m going to rebuild this motor. What I’m trying to do is get it back on the road so I can finish my LS swap on my daily.

IMG_1278.jpeg

IMG_1282.jpeg

IMG_1283.jpeg

Update so I looked at the top of the pistons some are oily so are dry no damage. I took the rocker arm assembly off and still no change. The motor is locked up and will only rotate 180 in either direction. I pulled the push rods all look normal. So the only visible thing is the Exhaust port on cylinder #4 is higher than all the rest!

View attachment 3359326

- Cylinders #3 and #4 have coolant Jackets on the sides ONLY ....

- Cylinders #1 and #6 have them on three sides

- Cylinders #2 and #5 benefit from the extra stable cooling of #1 and #6

- hence why every single F1.5 and 2F i have ever rebuilt / restored , needs Valve Seat work , New valves or Guiges or all three on #3 or #4 cylinders all the time

- this IS why that seat failed like that after 1/2 a 1,000,000k on it .....

- also , that WEBBER dumping all the added FUEL , creates well more , hotter Cumbustion Right ?

- some times MORE is TOO MUCH , Gas is one of those too much is BAD topics ........ :confused:

Today I spent some time cleaning my block and installed a nice head gasket from rock auto and new oil pan gasket. And mounted the head I got assembled last night. I did not change out the piston because I’m going to rebuild this motor. What I’m trying to do is get it back on the road so I can finish my LS swap on my daily.

View attachment 3379932

View attachment 3379933

View attachment 3379934

how do you know or not know 1 or more of the Piston Rings or the OIL scraper Ring is not been compromised , on that cylinder ?

how do you know or not know 1 or more of the Piston Rings or the OIL scraper Ring is not been compromised , on that cylinder ?

I except it will be fine since it was running fine before and the damage didn't occur while it was running. Which was very lucky.
We don't know though... the idea here is to just keep this thing running for a few months while we rebuild another engine the right way to be the long-term powerplant.

Hence the rockauto headgasket instead of OEM, etc

The "new" head is actually one I had fully rebuilt that ended up having a cracked coolant passage. I brazed the crack and then Austin smothered it in JB weld and hopefully it holds up

I like the “proving” you can get a nearly destroyed block, piston, and head running to get back on the road for a time! Fun project! The heck with those n’th degree rebuilds!

Oh I forgot to mention the best part I JB welded That is the best part It’s going to be fun as s*** driving it around town!
- Cylinders #3 and #4 have coolant Jackets on the sides ONLY ....

- Cylinders #1 and #6 have them on three sides

- Cylinders #2 and #5 benefit from the extra stable cooling of #1 and #6

- hence why every single F1.5 and 2F i have ever rebuilt / restored , needs Valve Seat work , New valves or Guiges or all three on #3 or #4 cylinders all the time

- this IS why that seat failed like that after 1/2 a 1,000,000k on it .....

- also , that WEBBER dumping all the added FUEL , creates well more , hotter Cumbustion Right ?

- some times MORE is TOO MUCH , Gas is one of those too much is BAD topics ........ :confused:

Oh yea i forgot the best part the as Matt said “New” but it’s new to me head. I used high temp JB weld to go over the the brazed hair line crack it’s mint!

IMG_1279.jpeg

IMG_1280.jpeg

hell yeah, I'm glad I didn't scrap that head! I love junk!

I love JB Weld--when all else fails there is no end to what you can do with that stuff. Just saw your work space--that plastic table can really take a whoopin'!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom