1967 FJ45 Long Bed resurrection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The original gas tank is missing and they seem pretty hard to find. Does anyine know if a tank from a 1972 fj40 will fit under the seat i have a good one sitting in the shop.

Looks like there is some minor damage to the wiring by mice. See the pics below. What is my best coarse of action for this. Want to make and keep it as stock as possible.

Any suggestions on what I should go before i try to start it. Here is my list so far

Soak cylinders with oil
Clean and rebuild carb
Change all fluids
Clean all fuel lines and new filter
Figure out fuel tank. May keep one in bed for now
New plugs and wires.
New points, cap and rotor
Have radiator cleaned maybe replaced
Change all hoses.
New heater core
New thermostat

Anyone habe other suggestions. I will also need to jave the seat done. Any reccommendations on this. Have it done local or order online. This is jusy to get it started. Brakes and all hydraulics will need to be gone through. Thabks for all the help so far. Im extremly excited.

20180103_172626.jpg

received_1315840061853160.jpeg

Fuel pump may be toast. You could bypass for now with an electric. Either way turn it over (mechanical pump) with the fuel line in a cup/bucket. Don't let it fill up the carb. If you use the electric do the same with a switch. Make sure it flows clear before you hook it up to the carb. The old mechanical diaphragm can corrode and break into pieces and gum up the filter/carb.

Brakes will need to be done soon I'm sure. You'll go through all the work of getting it going and then you'll spring a leak in the brake system and you'll be docked again...

I had my seats done locally and they are amazing (in my thread). Don't do them twice. Spend the $$$ to have them done as nicely as you would like them. A good local place can source all the foam, etc. I did provide the paint for the metal. You'd be surprised how good new seats look with a patina truck. Doesn't take away from it at all. Good Luck!

Agree with Dom--safety items should be your first priority if you're gonna drive it--it's one thing to have a mechanical breakdown and coast to a stop; it's quite another to slam on the brakes and have no pedal. Brake SYSTEM, not just shoes--rubber hoses rot and decompose, brake and gas lines rust from the inside; tires, check everything for looseness and corrosion, filthy gasoline and brake fluid. And so on.

Where did you find this gem?

Crazy thing, it was posted on facebook for sale local to me. I was the first to go see it. They guy got 60 plus messages.

All the brakes are toast. Plan on doing all new brakes. Want ro get it started to makensure the engine is good. I will be the second owner and it has a little over 44k miles according to the owner. I will be doing all the work myself. I cant wait to see it all cleaned up.

Nice to see you scored this. Where in CA was this gem hidden? I guess if I went on Facebook more I would have seen this.......BUT.....this will NEVER happen because I will NOT cave in to it!:).

Last edited:
Ken, I hear ya.....never been on FB and never will.

This truck is another true gem. They are still out there.

Congrats on the insane score!

Id definitely peruse your local options for the seatwork and see whats availble closeby. Its one thing that doesnt have to be cruiser specific to be completed well.

Gas tanks are a bit different. I believe a 45 will not fit in the 40 without filler neck mods, not sure about the other way around but @S4Cruiser could shed some light as he went through this recently but hs sold the 45 tank already.

@Bear could say for sure but I'm fairly sure an early 40 series tank will fit under the seat but the tank filler neck may not line up perfect with the tub spout. The early 40 tank is still available new so cutting the neck to make work wouldn't be sacrilegious. I had a 45 series tank that I thought was a 40 tank and it wouldn't work in my 40 without cutting the neck...so I passed it along to someone that could use it as intended and bought a new oem tank.

Crazy thing, it was posted on facebook for sale local to me. I was the first to go see it. They guy got 60 plus messages.

Best and only reason I've seen to date re:doing Facebook. I might have to break down and join....

I bought the new 72' 40 series tank from Toyota and used it in my 78' 45. The filler neck and overflow return were correct but for the 78' I had to install vent lines.

Ha. One of mine came out of Oakhurst. Close.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom