1964 FJ45 LB “RB1” Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BTW, this was not the original plan, but I am considering selling this vehicle.
If anyone is SERIOUS about purchasing, hit me with a PM and I'll respond when I can.

Summary:
California title
1964 FJ45 Pickup
Was originally a long bed. Bed was shortened and narrowed.
Wheelbase shortened about 6" (I'll have to get a measurement but I think its 110")
1971 Chevrolet 4-bolt 350 block, bored .040 over, all block work and rotating assembly installed by machine shop/engine builder
New Eagle 383ci balanced rotating assembly, 12cc dished pistons, new bearings, new oil pump and pickup, new timing gears and chain, new pushrods, new self-aligning 1.5 roller rockers, new fuel pump, and all new tin
New ARP head bolts
New Howards retro-roller cam #110225 and roller lifters .450/.465 lift Dur@.050" 207/213
(Howards states "Great daily usage, smooth idle, great fuel economy")
New Howards valve springs #98438New Cast Iron Vortec 67cc heads, checked/surfaced for flatness
Compression ratio should be about 9.8:1
New Aluminum duel plane intake
New ARP Intake bolts
New Quadrajet 750cfm carb. Manual choke conversion.
New Reusable air cleaner element
New Headman "tight tube" headers
New HEI distributor
New Gear reduction hi-torque starter
New aluminum water pump
Large mechanical clutch fan and new custom fan shroud
All new belts, hoses and clamps
New Taylor Spark plug wires
New Aluminum "finned" tall valve covers
Trans pan skid plate
Engine oil pan skid plate
Professionally rebuilt 1992 GM 700r4 4-speed "K-case" 4x4 Transmission with upgraded "brute" shell and other parts
New TCI selectable lockup (off - 4th only - 2nd, 3rd, 4th)
Toybox 2.28:1 doubler with 23 spline "Total spline" Marlin input gear
New Orion 3:1 transfer case
Mid-70's front and rear FJ40 axles (30 spline)
Mini Truck Large Patttern Knuckles with new studs
Rebuilt Aisin Lockouts
3.73:1 Ring and Pinions installed with all new bearings
All new FT and RR axle bearings and seals
Front diff is open, rear has a New Yukon grizzly locker
All new brake hard and flex lines
4 wheel disc brakes, fronts are Toyota Land Cruiser with vented rotors, rears are GM metric
New FJ80 master cylinder
Mini-truck booster
FJ55 rear springs
FJ40 front strings
All new poly spring bushings
Spring over axle configuration
Anti-torque bar
Saginaw Power steering w/AGR steering gear
New Marlin high steer arms, FJ80 Rod ends, Marlin pitman arm
Marlin DOM Tie rod and Draglink
Marlin 25mm knuckle bearing and pin upgrade
New Champion 2-row aluminum radiator
New, very large trans cooler and cooling lines
New Drivelines front and rear
Front driveline uses long travel trail-gear creeper joint
Front knuckles have Trail Safe Knuckle Ball Wiper Seals (Trail-gear)
Rear of frame was boxed
Front of frame boxed
Front of frame had an added cross-member
Entire frame stitch welded
Once all fabrication on frame was complete, frame was media blasted and coated in 2-part epoxy chassis black
New Blue Top Optima battery
New wiring harness and fuse box
New WeatherPack connectors used throughout vehicle
New Toyota turn and park lamp assemblies
New Hella headlamps
New Hella horns
New LED tail and backup lamps
All new weatherstrip and seals in doors (OEM where possible)
All new weatherstrip in windshield, corner and rear glass (OEM where possible)
The paint is single-stage PPG Concept. Color is 2006 Ford "White Suede".
Bed cargo area, under bed, under cab, cab floor, under front fenders are sprayed with Monstaliner (2.5 gallons used)
New door latches and strikers
New door window cranks
New Lokar trans shifter
New Lokar throttle cable and pedal
New VDO gauges, electronic speedo (pulse type), 5000 rpm tach, oil press, water temp, volt, fuel level. Custom gauge panel.
New GM type tilt column
New Grant steering wheel
New Borgeson steering sector shaft and joints
New Smittybuilt reclining suspension seats
New 5-point harnesses
Seats mounted on New sliders
Refurbished OEM heater and blower
New defroster hoses with custom fabricated elbows at heater box
Many, many fabricated or modified parts: transfer case skid plate, battery tray, side steps and guards, front bumper, gas tank, cab floor bracing and roll cage, cage to frame tie-ins, exhaust, engine mounts, transmission mounts, rear bumper, gage cluster, column mounts, RDB brackets, shock mounts, u-bolt spring plates, spring mounts, side steps, etc, etc...

This thread does a decent job of showing the work/modifications that went into the vehicle.

Last edited:
I dont know how you could sell after all that hard work, but I do understand when vehicles are not always the top priority in life. That was one heck of a build, congrats on finishing it. You need to at least drive it for a few weeks!! You might change your mind!

Ya Hoooooo, NICE TRUCK, you got to drive a few mile off it at least.
Congrats

:bounce:

Hard to finish anything - even harder I would think with the level of workmanship you put into everything you do. Truck looks great - how does it drive?

Hard to finish anything - even harder I would think with the level of workmanship you put into everything you do. Truck looks great - how does it drive?
Thanks Gus.
I need to get registration and insurance in place before driving it and getting any sort of impression on the handling. I expect it to drive well having a longer wheelbase than the 40 with the same basic suspension and steering setup (minus the ram). I have no issues with the fj40 at highway speeds although the hydro steer assist on the 40 means you do need to pay close attention.

I am curious about fuel mileage the 45 will achieve with the 3.70 gears and the overdrive of the 700r4. I expect the cruising rpm to be very reasonable although these are not the kind of vehicle that slips through the air with ease. ;) I figure anything above 12mpg is good mileage and if it can get 14-16 then its doing excellent. Heck, I'm happy when my fj62 gets above 15mpg for a tank of fuel.

The truck is now registered amd insured. Still doing some small things. Installed the pocket door shifting instruction plaque. Installed the right and left door weatherseals. Picked up some wider rear flares that cover the rear tires better. Have an oil leak at the speedo cable. Plan to get that fixed by this weekend. The todo list is getting pretty short. :)

Test drive went pretty well. Will need some carb fine tuning and I believe the 700r4 TV cable needs a little adjustment. The tranny shop said they would check/do the TV cable adjustment for me.

Except for just a few small things like windshield wipers, transmission shifter boot, and a rear view mirror (on order), this FJ45 project is complete.

Just for the record, here are a few pictures outside of the finished vehicle. Forgot to get one of the engine bay so I might add a shot of that later.
20151010_180004.jpg
20151010_180016.jpg
20151010_180032.jpg

it does not get much cleaner than that.

Happened to have an event going on at work that included a car show for employees. Entered the FJ45. I was humbled to win the fan favorite vote. I think there were a few vehicles more deserving like a 68 RS/SS number matching convertible Camaro, a very nice 67 Malibu, an over the top green mustang, and a nice GTO.

20151014_103336.jpg

20151014_103411.jpg

Mike, I still have my 67 rs ss camaro from high school, and my 45's have always been more popular,they are just so unique,and not seen too often. Still cant go anywhere without someone asking about the 45! So..... you going to keep it!!

Mike, I still have my 67 rs ss camaro from high school, and my 45's have always been more popular,they are just so unique,and not seen too often. Still cant go anywhere without someone asking about the 45! So..... you going to keep it!!
I did hear a lot of people say thay had never seen nor heard of a land cruiser pickup.

Still no final decision...

Looks Awesome Mike! I, as well as Whitey, still have my high school car. Its a 67 Mustang Fastback GT w/ a 390 and a 4sd. Picked up a 427 for it last year. Someday Whitey and I will race and he will get smoked!:hillbilly:
All kidding aside, it was surprising to hear you may consider selling it. That's the thing with these damn things. We always want more. Or at least I do. But once its gone, you will be regretting it. It would be nice to see you enjoy it for a while considering all the hard work you put into it.

Looks Awesome Mike! I, as well as Whitey, still have my high school car. Its a 67 Mustang Fastback GT w/ a 390 and a 4sd. Picked up a 427 for it last year. Someday Whitey and I will race and he will get smoked!:hillbilly:
You better give plenty of notice before the race. I want to be there to watch. :D

All kidding aside, it was surprising to hear you may consider selling it. That's the thing with these damn things. We always want more. Or at least I do. But once its gone, you will be regretting it. It would be nice to see you enjoy it for a while considering all the hard work you put into it.
Still no decision but I plan to put a few miles on it and work out any issues so that might help me decide. Do have one issue I've discovered. The 2wd/4wd shifter lever is too close to the side of the trans tunnel and "clunks" against it on quick deceleration. Hope to figure out how to resolve that this weekend without to much redo of the shifter or tunnel cover.

Couple of other things to tidy up:
Anyone know the best source for wiper arms and blades for these early dual wiper motor setups?
Anyone had a key made for a early driver door? I have the lock but no key.

The decision is made. So what's next Mike?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom