13BT into a FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am planning a fj80 to 1hz swap in the next year or so . I assume it will be no prob to get a/c bracketry and compressor for this because the Australian 80's with 1hz had a/c . I assume this swap has already been done as I am sure I have come across posts that people have done it . I may even just buy a factory diesel 80 from europe , as you all know we can do that here in Canada hehehehe , lucky we !
I just don't want a r/h drive , i don't see the point of it !
Daryl

So it's been awhile and about 3000 miles later and the swap works perfect. I still have the following to do:

1) Install the cruise control
2) Paint black/install the FJ62 electric mirrors I just received
3) Build the bracket for the hand throttle
4) Install 86 Toy Camry seats in the front
5) finish the 3pt conversion in the rear for the seat belts.
6) Build a front bullbar
7) Build a safari rack
8) Build a long range fuel tank
9) get a speedo correction box installed and dyno the rig

Tonight I installed the Walbro 24v external lift pump. Pretty straight forward install. I built a bracket for it about 3 mos ago and just haven't got around to installing it yet. I swapped all the fuel lines for biodiesel resistant hose and reinstalled the Racor and cheapo Napa fuel filter. The cheapo filter is just to catch all the gunk from the biodiesel letting loose 186k miles of crap loose from the tank.

I fired the pump up and away she went, started without a hiccup. I installed a pressure gauge on one of the empty ports on the Racor to see what type of pressure I'm sending to the OEM lift pump. I'm between 5-7 psi at almost every RPM. Since the pump is regulated at 10psi you can see that the Napa and Racor filters are causing a 3-5 psi drop which is good. I'd rather have the pressure a little closer to 3 psi when running since I've heard but there is no evidence to support it that if the IP gets too much pressure from the fuel it'll through the pump timing off. I'm guessing that since the walbro is pushing into the external lift pump and then it sends fuel to the IP i'll be ok. The other thing going for me is that this setup is common in Oz and you hear of very few problems...

we'll see... what happens...

-mike

fjbj40 said:
I am planning a fj80 to 1hz swap in the next year or so . I assume it will be no prob to get a/c bracketry and compressor for this because the Australian 80's with 1hz had a/c . I assume this swap has already been done as I am sure I have come across posts that people have done it . I may even just buy a factory diesel 80 from europe , as you all know we can do that here in Canada hehehehe , lucky we !
I just don't want a r/h drive , i don't see the point of it !
Daryl

Forget importing from Europe. Fly to Central America, buy a diesel 80 series here, have a blast of a holiday and drive home!

Couple things in the past several days done:
1) today had the speedo correction box made and the rig run on the dyno. pretty interesting seeing a cruiser go almost 90 mph standing still with BFG mud terrains on it. My speedo was 20% off. For $75 a box was built, screwed onto the t-case and now i'm within 1 mph of correct.

2) painted the 62 mirrors tonight with fancy trim satin black paint. we'll start working on wiring them up soon.

3) the walbro pump is awesome. today the temp was 40 deg F out, I'm running 75% biodiesel and I fired it up. As usual it takes a little foot on the acc to keep it idling until warm. There was no cloud or puff of white smoke this morning and there hasn't been any all day. i'm told the walbro will reduce startup smoke but don't really know why. All I know is that when backing out of my driveway now I don't have to stick the vent on Recirc and back through a small cloud. none now...

4) had the windshield leak fixed so no more floor mats full of water after a small rain storm...

-mike

that is a great idea cruiser guy ..... never thought of that . What is a good site to check out diesel 80's down there ? Now i will have to start planning this vacation .... the wife will scoff at this idea but to bad for her !!! You are going to be down there for another year or two ? if so great , maybe we could hook up if this happens .
Daryl

hey all look what showed up at my house today!
early.jpg

fjbj40 said:
that is a great idea cruiser guy ..... never thought of that . What is a good site to check out diesel 80's down there ? Now i will have to start planning this vacation .... the wife will scoff at this idea but to bad for her !!! You are going to be down there for another year or two ? if so great , maybe we could hook up if this happens .
Daryl

I plan on being here for a couple of years anyway. You could look at the Toyota web sites for Central America. They are not real helpful but it can give you an idea. There are no car lots of the kind we're used to in the states/Canada. Most of the buying and selling takes place by word of mouth and spotting something along the side of the road. I saw a diesel 'Cruiser pickup for sale a week or two ago. It looked good but it wasn't there when I had the opportunity to stop. I also saw an '80 a couple of days ago for sale but I haven't been by there yet again.

Driving down here is a blast. It's TOTALLY different to anything you have ever done before. Road signs (stop signs speed limits etc.) are suggestions unless there is an accident. It is as safe as you care to make it. Just drive as if everyone is out to get you and you'll be fine!

Can't see your pics?

Hey Stickboy... I'm about to swap a 3B with an H55F into my FJ60... from a BJ60, so I'm hoping less issues with differences in model. I'd love to see the pictures of your engine mounts. Also, I'm in Seattle and if anyone is near by and has experience with this type of swap I'd love to meet up and talk. Thanks.:cheers:

you resurrected an old thread, last posted was on Oct 3 2004......

Stickboy isn't on here a lot....But maybe he will see this thread back to life!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom