12HT slight oil overfill (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FRQ

Threads
Did an oil change and overfilled the F mark by about 4mm, oil level comes up to the start of the F. Haven't run the engine yet and poured some oil in the filter before installing.

Overly cautious, probably unnecessary question: should I bother draining some oil or just run as is? No idea how finicky the 12HT is about this kind of thing.

YKj3Bri.jpg

Last edited:
I'd hate to be the one to say "no problem" and then boom, but I wouldn't personally worry about. The danger with overfilling the crankcase, is when the oil gets whipped up by the crank. I think your a long way from there. It'll probably drop a little when you run it, even if you prefilled the filter.

Last edited:
Not sure about a 12HT, but I've filled my 2F that high many times. More oil gets splashed up by the crank off road on bumpy roads when the dipstick is at Low, than will be splashed around on a paved road when the oil level is a little High.

I duplicated this thread in the diesel tech section, figured it belonged there in the first place, consensus seems to be it's not a big deal at all.

Even if it would have been an issue, false alarm. After a drive the level settled below max, despite pre-filling the oil filter, I even added some oil. I suspect mister Toyoda is very conservative with the low/full markings on the dipstick.

I always overfill, start a few seconds and drain black sludge, somehow that settles at the drain plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom