12HT Engine won't start, VSV working as it should. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.n-que.ca
Hey guys, My 89 62 has been running great but all of a sudden two days ago the engine cut out as I was driving home from work. Then when I tried to start it again it would start and then immediately cut out. Turns out the the shut down VSV was not working properly or so it seemed, as it was allowing vacuum suction through to the shutdown valve every time the engine started. So next day I another VSV and... same issue. It looks like the VSV's are receiving a current when the ignition is in the ON position where as this should really only happen in the ACC position. What should I be looking at next, haven't changed anything in the wiring that would cause this. Any help would be appreciated as I don't want to continue stalling/opening the hood everyday as this is my daily driver.

Thanks

VSV solenoid must be activated at all times when ignition is ON.
Spent a few hours on this last week, turned out that the STOP (I believe that what the fuse cover called it) fuse was blown. Are your dials on the dash working? same fuse.

I just went through this last week and found when I blew the valve with compressed air a big chunk off crap came out from inside unit. I would pull the vacuum hoses and try blowing them out with compressed air in case something is blocking one of the lines.

Last edited:
Thanks ozcrusier, I tried and it's still the same, I checked and the vsv is staying open with or without power. The second VSV I got works the opposite way, i.e. opens when provided power, so it may not work on my rig. Looks like I have to head out to the junk parts market again.

I just brought a new one from Amayama $70 deliverd from Japan p/n 90910-12014 for the 12 volt unit.

Hey guys, just wanted to update you and close out this thread. The problem was resolved by replacing the VSV with an original from Toyota. Thanks for the Amayama link, will be ordering a spare from there as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom