12ht coolant temp (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gday all,
I hope this is in the best section..
I have added a Redarc coolant temp gauge to my hj61 - the probe is in the top radiator hose about 100mm from the thermostat.
From memory the thermostat (genuine Toyota) is stamped 88 degrees celsius.
In normal driving on say a 20 degree Celsius day the temp sits on 86 - 89 depending on the driving / hills / wind / lost etc.
I am currently on holidays in 38 degree Celsius heat, towing my boat (about 1 tonne) with the roofrack loaded, and the temp has got up to 95 (where I have my alarm set - for no real reason apart from it sounded like a good number...)
So, my questions are - What temperature is it okay for the coolant to get up to, and to sustain for long periods??

At what temp should I set the alarm for?

Thanks heaps!

Drew

IMG_3136.JPG

I've seen my 1hz roll over the 100 degree mark while towing up hills. Probably not good for it though. It's had overheating issues for a while now though that I haven't been able to pinpoint.

My 12HT usualy run at 88°C - 90°C (190°F - 195°F). Rarely up to 93°C (200°F)...

Here on MUD, I have already seen temperature readings for diesel engines that I can not reach with my own vehicle, I mean, I would not allow my engine to reach these temperatures. Indeed, some say up to 116°C (240°F) !:eek:

If I had a coolant alarm, I'll set it at 95°C (205°F) as a base line to raise my foot ...

highest ive ever seen my 12HT was about 95 deg C. was off roading in low range and ambient temps were about 28 deg C, for about an hour and a half. normally driving around town she sits around 75-80

Thanks for all the replies! At 2:30 this morning we arrived home from the 1400km drive...
The first few hundred k's were in about 33degree heat, but with a strong headwind, and I kept the speed to about 85 - 90 km/hr to keep the coolant temp at 90 or below.... the further south I drove
, the cooler it got, and with temps in the high teens I could sit on 100 with about 88degrees Celsius coolant temp... but there were a few kangaroos around as it was night, so I could only do about 90 anyway....
I am very keen to hear other coolant temps - especially those with gTurbo's....

Thanks for all the replies! At 2:30 this morning we arrived home from the 1400km drive...
The first few hundred k's were in about 33degree heat, but with a strong headwind, and I kept the speed to about 85 - 90 km/hr to keep the coolant temp at 90 or below.... the further south I drove
, the cooler it got, and with temps in the high teens I could sit on 100 with about 88degrees Celsius coolant temp... but there were a few kangaroos around as it was night, so I could only do about 90 anyway....
I am very keen to hear other coolant temps - especially those with gTurbo's....
Did you notice slight power loss with those high temps, I've done some touring Hj61 with camper (1ton) middle of summer in NSW, 33-38deg C, my temps gauge normally would sit just under 1st line in gauge, towing or not, Once it tips past 32d I se my gauge rise, to max of half way 37d c, I have found a laser temp gun from my hoarding days., under normal conditions my thermostat housing sits around 74+ d C, Have not tested with full summer loading yet

I see that this thread ended a while ago, I have one question for all. Do any of y’all have any type of intercooler set up’s?
MT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom