100 vs 200 series towing capacity... Will getting a 200 help me out (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had a 100 series since I joined the forum in 2010, bought it with 110,000 miles... now has 288,000 miles. Not only do I drive it every day, I'm an electrician, albeit for an apartment complex so I dont haul heavy stuff 95% of the time... it is a rolling tool box. Also garden and hobby farm. It get's dirty. There's stains in the carpet. I've replaced the engine... pulled off from a stop light and it just died one morning on the way to work. Replaced the muffler and catalytic converter. Needs a new O2 sensor right now. I've painted it once... and then drove it up a mountain logging road that was full of blackberry vines... may paint it again. My mechanic says a front wheel bearing is going bad. (It's a 2002 ) My wife says the steering feels looser to her... maybe they are both right? Ive had the drivers seat leather redone and then a screwdriver stabbed it... so it will need a repair and the leather on the shift knob is tattered. Every now and the radio just goes out.. drive a dew miles it comes back on. The last time I tried the sunroof switch and the back window switches they sort of bounced... I had to fight with them to get them to close. A little bit of body rust below the back doors... definitely going to get that fixed... and a little bit of rust underneath.
I use it to pull a 1900# trailer with a 3,000# tractor and a implement or 2... its an 800 mile round trip when I go to my farm... there is one hill. One. If I'm fully loaded I have to floor the truck and it creeps along at 5 mph. I've only done that like twice... I can avoid that hill.

For the last 2-3 years, I've been eyeing pickup trucks and medium duty trucks. I've bought a bigger tractor and a batwing mower. I'd love to be able to move them together... it would take a 30ft trailer... new trucks cost $70k and up... I dont think toyota sells anything that will pull about 8000# plus the weight of the trailer and used trucks especially used american trucks are used trucks.
When I 1st got my 100 series my ambition was to wait until the price of used 200 series dropped into the $20k range and buy one and that would possibly be my last truck.
200's seem to be leveling off in the mid $30k range.
It seems the differences between the 100 and the 200 are... bigger engine... which I like, and bells and whistles. Which I could take or leave. I can see that some 200 series are rated up to 8000# which would serve my purpose.
To those that have or have had both and have towed and or just lived with both... how would you compare living day in day out with each of them?

For sure, 200 is better at towing. More power, more gears and more brake boost. However, for wheeling and general highway comfort, I prefer the 100. The seat and seating position, outward visibilty, brake feel and turning radius is better. Turning radius also comes into play when reversing.

For sure, 200 is better at towing. More power, more gears and more brake boost. However, for wheeling and general highway comfort, I prefer the 100. The seat and seating position, outward visibilty, brake feel and turning radius is better. Turning radius also comes into play when reversing.

I was driving my truck this morning... thinking... it will almost make me cry... just how smooth and quiet it is... and even at 70 mph it still has enough giddy up and go to make passing slower cars easy.
Why cant we have it all in 1 truck?
300's are going to be to exspensive and I think they have a smaller engine
200's seem to be leveling off at around $30k
and 100's in decent condition are holding at like $20k and starting to appreciate.
Almost, Almost want to get a tundra, because at 10k# tow capacity it will pull the 75hp tractor or the batwing and as infrequently as I plan to move them, thats enough. But you loose being able to through stuff in the back and not having to worry about it getting stolen.

thanks for the reply

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom