100 Series Meet 2011--San Juan Mountains, CO (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jonharis

Adventure Imports
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
With the Success of the 100 series run at Cruise Moab this year, there has been significant interest in doing a 100 series weekend in the San Juan Mountains near Ouray. I have been speaking with several members via PM of the past few weeks and I think we can get a good turn out. Thanks bluecruiser for your interest and helping with preliminary planning.

I will be in the San Juans several times this summer with different clubs but would also really like to do a 100 series only run also.

Here are the dates. The dates below were chosen to avoid the larger off road, running events.

August 19-21 (this could be interesting as it is the same weekend of StarTrails 2011, an annual Mercedes 4x4 event.)

Friday would be intended as a travel day, camp set up, meet and greet. We will be camping in Ironton Park (See page 4 for maps and directions), near Ouray, CO. This is the best home base for most of the trails in the area. It also features 2 brewery's, several great hot-springs and shops. Ouray has some great hotels for people who don't want to camp.

Saturday will be the longer of two trail days. We will run the Alpine Loop. This set of trails will take us 65 miles through some of Colorado's (and the world's) best scenery including 2 passes over 12K feet. Dependent on the group we will do a aide trip up Poughkeepsie Gulch! We will enjoy Lunch in Lake City, CO or on the trail. We may truncate the Alpine Loop by running the more interesting California/Corkscrew route after completing Engineer.

[STRIKE]Sunday will be one of 2 runs based on the confidence of the group. We will either run Black Bear Pass and Imogene Pass or Ophir Pass and Imogene Pass. Lunch will be in Telluride. [/STRIKE]
We will be running Blackbear/Imogene pass. This is suitable for a stock 100 series. You will have good spotters. I ran this on July 31st 2011 and it is in great condition.

• Black Bear is highly dependent on road conditions as it often has rock slides that close the road for months. It is a steep tight road traveling into Telluride. There really are not any major technical spots but a wrong move, bad brakes, horseplay can mean death. Many of the switchbacks will require 3 and 4 point turns.
  • Ophir Pass is drivable by stock vehicles (even cars with good clearance). It does not have the epic feel of Black Bear but still offers incredible views and history.
  • Imogene Pass is is moderate in difficulty and is the preferred route out of Telluride. Imogene drops into Yankee Boy Basin with options for several side trips before returning to Ouray.
Expect to be on the trail (away from camp at least) for 8+ hours each day. Make sure that your vehicles are in excellent running order. Shops in Ouray, Lake City, Telluride are Expensive, No extra fuel is necessary.

Most of the obstacles on most of the trails are avoidable but there will be some ledges and rocky sections (the road up Engineer is the worst we will encounter). If you are planning on doing all the trails above I would recommend at minimum Sliders with the expectation that you may lightly damage your bumper covers. The preferred setup would be Sliders and Front/Rear Bumpers. I would also really like it if everyone had a CB but it's not required.

Lets see what we can do with this! I think it could turn out to be a great gathering!

Engineer Pass.jpg p0001719.jpg
Ouray.jpg
Engineer Pass.jpg
p0001719.jpg
Ouray.jpg

Last edited:
Ouray is an awesome place. Not sure about my exact weekend preference yet, but I will probably be there for 4 days or so and would be interested in running some other trails in the area if others are going to be there early (or staying late).

I look forward to this 'event' (I think shirts make it an official event, if anyone has some connections on low volume shirt making, that would be cool).

1loudLX said:
cant do 5-7th. I'm in though.

That was my least favorite option. Narrows it down already!

We are getting t-shirts made in the next week or 2 for Book Cliff Cruisers, I'll ask about pricing then.

Damn, the 5th-7th would be perfect for me. I usually work Thursday - Sunday but I have that weekend off already because I have family coming into town. Don't think I have enough vacation time available to take another 3 days off later in the month.

Sounds like a good time but unless my work schedule has a major change I wouldn't be able to make any of those dates.

How are you all I'm just starting out in the 4x4 game is anyone aloud to come a long to the meet in august if so can I have some more info

No not just anyone is allowed to come. Are you cool? Do you like beer? Got a 100? ;)

I guess one out of three could be worse. :flipoff2:

Damn, the 5th-7th would be perfect for me. I usually work Thursday - Sunday but I have that weekend off already because I have family coming into town. Don't think I have enough vacation time available to take another 3 days off later in the month.
You have a almost 2 months to get your s***e wired and make it happen.

Damn...I wasn't qualified anyways.

Don't like :beer:??? Its OK, I'll be bringing harder libations.

How are you all I'm just starting out in the 4x4 game is anyone aloud to come a long to the meet in august if so can I have some more info

Bring a 100 series and you are in. Sliders are a must.

Bring a 100 series and you are in. Sliders are a must.

thats two strikes against us, we want to take a rodeo with no sliders...
i have sliders on my 80... but i dont want to show up in her and make the 100s look bad :flipoff2:

we might be in the area though i'd like to catch a :beer: with the group

Last edited:
zrheard said:
thats two strikes against us, we want to take a rodeo with no sliders...
i have sliders on my 80... but i dont want to show up in her and make the 100s look bad :flipoff2:

we might be in the area though i'd like to catch a :beer: with the group

I knew this would happen. Don't want to come off as some elitist but I love my Hundies and we are so underrepresented everywhere else.

:beer: would be great. Keep an eye out for the camp location.

OK My Wife just got her work schedule for august. We are available the 19th through 21st of August. I will finalize this date in the first thread if people can make it work. If people can't make it work....well to bad :crybaby:

Bluecruiser mentioned staying longer or arriving earlier. I wish I could join you on that. Think of some cool trails you would like to lead on the other days you are there.

Can someone help me out im ready to get some lockers on my 1998 Gxv 100 just not sure wich one.I was thinking arb air locks or E lockers.

peter kandris said:
Can someone help me out im ready to get some lockers on my 1998 Gxv 100 just not sure wich one.I was thinking arb air locks or E lockers.

ARB all the way. Give carl at Just Differentials a call. He offers complete 3rds that will save you $$ if you are handy.

Search and PM are your friends
Lets try to stay on topic. :D

I am in for the 19-21 weekend. How is the snow up in the passes this year?

bluecruiser said:
I am in for the 19-21 weekend. How is the snow up in the passes this year?

I was up last weekend. Much more than normal. It will be a non issue by that weekend though. Ouray is hitting the 70s-80s right now so snow is melting fast.

Good to hear the snow was deep this year. I enjoy all of the extra streams, waterfalls,etc from the snow melt. Looking forward to the trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom