100 Series General Tech and Classifieds (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got a tech question-
Went and cranked the 100 yesterday to let it start cooling down inside. When I came back out and got close to the vehicle, I could smell antifreeze. Looked all around and found no leaks or wet spots. Doesn't smell in the cab. Drove it and still has the smell but no visible signs of leaks. Going to check level this morning since engine is cool.

Y'all got anything suggesiotns of thing for me to check?

Got a tech question-
Went and cranked the 100 yesterday to let it start cooling down inside. When I came back out and got close to the vehicle, I could smell antifreeze. Looked all around and found no leaks or wet spots. Doesn't smell in the cab. Drove it and still has the smell but no visible signs of leaks. Going to check level this morning since engine is cool.

Y'all got anything suggesiotns of thing for me to check?
Like @bamabrock said, there are several locations you should check. If you're smelling it, there's a reason (unless you recently added/removed coolant for some reason - then it could be the smell of any of that you may have spilled.)

Possible sources: Seeping/leaking radiator, heater T's behind the engine, various hoses (aren't prone to leaking, but still can), old radiator cap. It's not uncommon for the water pump to weep after time, but it's uncommon to smell it. Get Rob to pressurize the system and see if you can locate it. In the meantime, if you haven't already replaced your heater T's, do it. NOW! The cooling system in a 100 isn't prone to produce a coolant smell, so I'm betting you've got a small leak somewhere.....

Like @bamabrock said, there are several locations you should check. If you're smelling it, there's a reason (unless you recently added/removed coolant for some reason - then it could be the smell of any of that you may have spilled.)

Possible sources: Seeping/leaking radiator, heater T's behind the engine, various hoses (aren't prone to leaking, but still can), old radiator cap. It's not uncommon for the water pump to weep after time, but it's uncommon to smell it. Get Rob to pressurize the system and see if you can locate it. In the meantime, if you haven't already replaced your heater T's, do it. NOW! The cooling system in a 100 isn't prone to produce a coolant smell, so I'm betting you've got a small leak somewhere.....

THIS.

IMG_2953.JPG

Well it got him thru 4 yrs at OM.

;)

Rushed in '05

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom