CV drive shaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What type of driveshaft should I look for If I want to convert my FJ-40 rear drive shaft to a constant velocity or CV joint?

Will a CV from a mini truck work or 4-runner?

Any online sources for this?

Thanks

:beer:

Lee-

'85 and earlier Mini/4runner front would be good as it is set up to have the largest operating angle stock...

Later front mini shafts can be used, you just need to grind the stops away...

Highangle can make you a really nice rear shaft too...Jess is the man.

Good luck!

What about the Double Cardan's off pre-85 FJ60's? Anyone useing one of these on the rear?

I picked up one of these planning on using it, it is definatly a serious joint.

I have a universal pinion flange, and figured I could redrill the parking brake drum.

I have 83 FJ60 double cardan front driveshafts on the front and rear of my SUA FJ40. I needed these to correct destructive and unbearable vibration after by 4" BTB lift. I have rotated both axles to provide about 2* at both pinions. I have a spare driveshaft from the front of a 85 mini I would sell. The double cardan joint has been disassembled as I was going to put new U-joints in but went the FJ60 route. Good luck and PM me if interested.

Thanks for the replies

After installing the OME lift in the 80, the rear vibration is almost unbearable at around 55mph. I didn't seem to have issues before the lift. I'm sure I got shafts up north. I will see what I can come up with this weekend. I'f I can't figure something out, I 'll have to call Jess.

Anyone know if the ujoints from a mini truck and the 40/60/80 the same? OR are the 60/80 ujoints the same?

THanks

Oh yes...there is the pre 85 60 series front shaft....

the joints from mini to Land Cruiser are NOT the same...

good luck!

-Steve

CruisinGA said:
What about the Double Cardan's off pre-85 FJ60's? Anyone useing one of these on the rear?

I picked up one of these planning on using it, it is definatly a serious joint.

I have a universal pinion flange, and figured I could redrill the parking brake drum.

That's what I run on my 40 and it works perfectly. Straight bolt on to a 74 and newer parking brake drum.

65swb45 said:
That's what I run on my 40 and it works perfectly. Straight bolt on to a 74 and newer parking brake drum.

Thanks, guess I'll try and find a 4spd parking drum instead of redrilling my 3sp one.. :D

I am working on the mini truck to cruiser driveshaft conversion right now as well. SOA and swapped springs, it just so happens that the IFS mini truck front driveshaft fits, lenghtwise like it was made for the rear of my cruiser. Here is my problem I slammed into though. Since I just put new gears in, I had to get a fine spline pinion flange. I went with the universal type for a mini truck, and didn't realize that cruiser and mini truck driveshafts have different bolt spread measurements. So, the non CV end of the driveshaft bolts up to the pinion like it is supposed to. Not so for the transfer case/CV end of the driveshaft. What I am doing is having a t-case end flange slightly modified to accept the mini truck u-joint, swapping the mini truck yoke for the cruiser yoke and it will bolt up. I paid more for the stupid u-joint than the machine work needed for this swap. But cheaper than another custom driveshaft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom