ROTW - TX_TLC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here it is...the long awaited ROTW...

I purchased my unlocked 1994 FZJ-80 from Auto Trader for $8,900 in June of 2004 with just over 130K on the odometer. The seller was a service tech for Toyota of Plano and would replace worn parts with OEM off the shelf when work was slow. He threw in a new Panasonic battery and a set of new Dunlop Grandtrek tires. I wasn’t thrilled about the tires, since this has made the justification for new ones a bit difficult to the :princess:. All OEM parts (except oil filters) have been purchased from Dan @ American Toyota and I highly recommend his services.

Here is a break down of the maintenance I have done to this point:

7/10/04
Received FSM…
New spark plugs (they were original)
New plug wires (they were original)
New Distributor cap and rotor (they were original)
New PCV valve and grommet (they were original) and yes the old crusty grommet fell into the value cover! I use duct tape wrapped backwards around the tip of a screwdriver to retrieve the broken pieces.
Changed the oil to Mobile 1 10W/30
New OEM Big oil filter
Cleaned the air filter it looked new

7/15/04
BG44k Engine Treatment (mileage increased over the next two tanks from 11.7 mpg up to 13.4 mpg)

10/30/04
Replaced rear door courtesy light switches
Replaced both O2 sensors (CIL was intermittent since I purchased it and the codes pointed to O2 below allowed levels)

11/7/04
New OEM Big oil filter
Switched to Rotella T Syn. 5W-40 after consumption issues with Mobile 1

11/28/04
Birfield Job…
Replaced all front axle seals
Replaced both front axle wheel bearings and races
Replaced both front axle trunion bearings and races
Packed bearings with Mobile 1 wheel bearing grease
Packed birf and knuckle with Valvoline Syn. Moly fortified grease
Drained and refilled front diff w/ 3 qts. Mobile 1 80W/90
New front driff drain plug washer-seal
New front OEM brake pads and bled brakes

1/14/05
Starter contacts fail. Replaced the contacts to find the kick out gear was shot.
Replaced with a remanufactured starter

4/9/05
New Napa Gold 1515 oil filter (start up rattle increased over OEM big filter, I am switching back to the OEM big filter on this oil change)
8 qts of Rottella T Syn. 5W-40

In the last couple months I have:
Removed roof rack and patched holes with black nylon auto fasteners and black silicone sealer.

Removed running boards at LSLC Roundup…and never put them back on! :D

Removed mup flaps at Roundup also…and have recently trimmed the front and rear flaps to finish off the flares nicely without the running boards. I chose to go this way instead of buying the front mud flap.

From the inspiration of T Y L E R (yikes ;)) I installed side blinkers on my mirrors. I used small L.E.D. amber marker lights from Wal Mart. It was the only place I could find small enough amber lights that would work. Installation was simple thanks to TYLERs thread. Simply tap into the wires from the front turn signal and route the wires back up through the mirror. I have been VERY happy with the added visibility of my turn signals. Before I did this mod, I turned my turn signal on and stepped to the side of my truck. It is AMAZING the area on the side of the truck in which you cannot see the signal flashing.

Replaced the stock non functioning CD/tape/FM/AM head unit with an Eclipse (by Fujitsu Ten) Model #CD3424 head unit. This is a great powerful head unit with a nice some what stock look to the face. I love the MP3 capability and have ripped my case of 180 CDs down to 3 mp3 disk that I carry in the truck. It has a smaller than credit card sized remote, which is somewhat over kill but a nice feature.

At the same time I replaced my front (blown) stock speakers with Memphis 6.5” Model #15-MC60. These are AMAZING speakers for their size and offer a lot of tight mid-range bass. I will eventually replace the rear door speakers and fabricate a sub enclosure for the rear to replace the stock “sub”.

Replaced the awful stock horns with FIAMM dual tone horns from Harbor Freight. These are simple plug and play, easiest and most effective mod yet! :D

Recently I tore the dash apart to replace a couple of burnt out bulbs, including the infamous “D” light. This is a very straight forward process but can be tedious for those with out small fingers ;). Upon putting everything back together I discovered the lights I replaced worked great…but now the PWR, O/D off, and Hazard switch lights are not working. :rolleyes: Typical Land Cruiser style! :D

I also replaced the head lights with the John Deere HIR bulbs. MUCH improved over stock...and the guy gave them to me tax free! Thought they were for farm use, and when I told him "No"...he said "Ahhh, what the hell!"

Future plans….
This month – oil change and back to OEM filter. Drain, flush, PHH, and refill radiator…hmmm I can’t wait! :D
Tires – Researching and watching threads on Dunlop Mud Terrain and Firestone Destination A/Ts.

Then in no particular order…
ABR up front, sliders, and lift.

I will post pics this afternoon of my roof rack fix, mud flap trim, side blinkers, head unit and front speakers. And anything else anyone requests! :D

Last edited:
Ok one picture to show that STOCK trucks CAN wheel!
ROTW-for-web.jpg

I want to know more about the side lights and the trimmed front mud flap trim PLEASE :D
Boy you have done alot of maintanance. :flipoff2:
Sounds like a reqal nice rig but I am waiting for pics :D

loquito said:
okay you were faster than me :rolleyes:
nice rig :flipoff2:

That picture is at Roundup this year on the Aggie Highway...

That was BEFORE I trimmed the flaps and did the side blinkers. I will post close ups of those this afternoon...got to get to work! :D

TX_TLC said:
That picture is at Roundup this year on the Aggie Highway...

...got to get to work! :D

Where are you priorities? Post some more pics. This thread makes me feel guilty. All the PM dated and documented. That is some tlc for your tlc.
dmc

dmc said:
Where are you priorities? Post some more pics. This thread makes me feel guilty. All the PM dated and documented. That is some tlc for your tlc.
dmc

If you would like I can tell you the date and fuel mileage for every tank between each of those documented maintence entries. ;)

More pictures and post pics of the side mirror blinkers. LOL, blingy blinkers. :D

TX_TLC said:
The seller was a service tech for Toyota of Plano and would replace worn parts with OEM off the shelf when work was slow. He threw in a new Panasonic battery and a set of new Dunlop Grandtrek tires.

I thought the Panasonic batteries were not available in the states, even to dealers. Are you sure he threw in a new Panasonic battery? If so, pics please!

TX_TLC said:
If you would like I can tell you the date and fuel mileage for every tank between each of those documented maintence entries. ;)

Glad I'm not the only one who is anal about keeping records...

Nice rig.

Nice rig, so the replacement radio is a double din?

TX excellent job with all the PM work. :cheers:

You've obviously been very busy. :D

Thanks alot for stepping up on short notice. ;)

Please post pics of the side marker light mod. Would like to compare it to T's. This is one I am actually also considering doing. Even though it pains me as you mentioned to follow TY's lead but oh well. You didn't actually use clear lenses did you? :eek:

reffug said:

Please post pics of the side marker light mod. Would like to compare it to T's. This is one I am actually also considering doing. Even though it pains me as you mentioned to follow TY's lead but oh well. You didn't actually use clear lenses did you? :eek:
Poserboy! :flipoff2:

Where are the pics? :D

Pictures!

Front trimmed mud "flap"...more like flare trim piece.

Rear trimmed mud flap

Side view of both
ROTW-006-web.jpg
ROTW-007-web.jpg
ROTW-008-web.jpg

Here we have the Eclipse CD3424 MP3/CD/AM/FM head unit, single din with storage space.

And the "roof rack feet" fix...nice and low profile.
ROTW-011-web.jpg
ROTW-012-web.jpg
ROTW-016-web.jpg

Side Mirror blinkers...the first picture is from sitting in the drivers seat. Standing next to the truck they appear lower profile than the 2nd and 3rd pictures show. I lowered the camera to be more even with them.
ROTW-009-web.jpg
ROTW-010-web.jpg
ROTW-013-web.jpg

Last edited:
alaskacruiser said:
I thought the Panasonic batteries were not available in the states, even to dealers. Are you sure he threw in a new Panasonic battery? If so, pics please!

Well upon popping my hood I determined I don't have a Panasonic battery! :eek: When I went to test drive the truck (4 hours from my house) I know it had a Panasonic in it. But the next day (when I drove back 4 hours) to buy it he told me he threw in a new battery. I always assume it was another Panasonic...but it isn't. It is a Toyota TrueStart...
ROTW-017-web.jpg

reffug said:

Clear lenses??? :princess: No thanks! :D I like the amber ones. They might not be quite bright enough during the day but I placed them so they would reflect off the side of the truck, which they do nicely.

The nice thing with these L.E.D.s is the housing is completly sealed. So there is no way water can get to the connections. There are two small screws which hold them on to the mirror and I was able to retain full range of motion of the mirror.

The other picture shows the "short cut" wire routing. It cannot be seen at all when the door is closed.
ROTW-021-web.jpg
ROTW-020-web.jpg

Last one for now...the new FIAMM horns from Harbor Frieght.
ROTW-018-web.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom