Builds FZJ80 + Taco 6 speed + Orion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bjowett

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Well, things are getting out of hand with the latest project, so I figure it is about time to move it on over here to Hardcore.

For those that don't read the 80 section, have a look here for the beginings of this project.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=47895

I'm working on installing a Aisin RA60 6 speed Tacoma manual transmission behing my soon to be built 4.6L 1FZ. After weeks of deliberation on what to do in order to get a proper low range, it has been decided that the AA Orion 4.00 - 1 transfer case kit is the way to go.

In order to get the Orion to fit the 19 spline RA60 output shaft, the gear will have the center milled out, splined, and then be press fitted to a large splined adapter. This adapter is actually a piece from the stock HF2AV transfer case... it will be machined in various ways to accept bearings, seals, and the gear.

Pictures soon.

Why not just do an atlas?

this sounds very kewl...and lets ya keep the stock offset 80-axles intact...

hurry up with the bloody pics!!

I think this sums it up...

Pics of "stuff"... Orion is on the way.

Transmission sans tail housing, note the nice long 19 spline output.

P1010382_0.JPG

This is the input/main shaft from the HF2AV partially slipped onto the output. The input gear is press fit on here, the shaft is roughly 1 7/8" diameter and 44 spline. If anything has a chance of holding a custom splined gear, this shaft does.

P1010384_0.JPG

Here are the input gears, counter clockwise from top left 16 spline 77' case, 19 spline 87' split case, 44 spline 93' HF2AV.

P1010385_0.JPG

Last edited:
So does this mean there will be no more updates in 80's tech?

Not that big of a deal since I frequently come in here to look around and drool but alot of the fella's will be missing out.

Just link it fugger! :)

bjowett said:
Automatic transmissions suck, they are for lazy old people who want to look experienced when driving offroad. :flipoff2:

Or for anyone who want to drive over obstacles very smoothly without spining a tire or burning up a clutch. :flipoff2:

Brian get my vote for the most "outta the box" thinker. First the turbo 4Runner on FZJ80 axles and suspension, now this? Hey, once this is done and you sell it for 1/2 of what its worth, lemme know. :flipoff2:

euclid said:
Or for anyone who want to drive over obstacles very smoothly without spining a tire or burning up a clutch. :flipoff2:

No burny burny with 4.17 x 4.00 x 4.88... only old lazy people with automatics worry about spinning tires anyway. :flipoff2: In all seriousness, automatics do an excellent job in some situations.

I made a smidge on the last rig, plus I got to wheel it for 2 years.... No 80 for you! :D

Brian,

Keep the posts coming. Very interesting idea. Look forward to watching it come together. :beer:

True. True.
bjowett said:
No burny burny with 4.17 x 4.00 x 4.88... only old lazy people with automatics worry about spinning tires anyway. :flipoff2: In all seriousness, automatics do an excellent job in some situations.

Very sweet. I'll be trying to figure out how to mount a LC split transfercase behind a HiLux/Surf (4Runner) auto tranny. I am thinking about a Marlin Crawler toybox with the front built to adapt to the HiLux slushbox and the rear made to adapt to the split TC. With the toybox in place, my crawl options would be amazing.

(Side note: my project involves pulling the H diesel drivetrain out of my HJ-45 and installing a 1KZ-TE turbodiesel/slushbox pulled from a JDM half-cut. I want to keep my LC offset full-float rear axle and end up with a KZJ-45.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom