electric fan for the 2f (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone use an electric fan on the 2f. Sounds like a good upgrade, more power, saves space and you could turn it off in the water!

Hmm, can't say that anyone has ever thought of that one!

Yer a genius - can I hold yer beer?

Kirk

[Hint - try looking in the Technical Links, first, then use the search function...]

taurus fan may cool it too quick. it cools my 350 too quick. it'd be off more than on.

sounds good to me, better overcooled than under. Who wants the constant roar of a fan under the hood anyway?

I use the taurus fan now but because I was compensaiting for a radiator on its last leg... It does cool very very well though! In the low setting it is bad ass. In high it is unstoppable. Otherwise a neat all in one package is the cheapo flexalite with the built in shroud. Rico Celis has one of these lying around that he might sell, I paid about $150 for it and sold it to him when I went to the Taurus. I did my wiring diagram in the gen4x4 section of pirate 4x4 which is probably one of the better out there. There are lots of not completely correct diagrams out ther so be careful...

I do not know if you will have the clearance to run a Mark 8 fan with the straight six, but as far as I know it is the bad boy of electric fans.
The bonus is if you can find one, cut off the plastic ears that are molded into the fans shroud and screw on some sheet-metal tabs at the corners.
Now with a little bit of tweaking the whole factory shroud should fit (attached by the sheetmetal tabs with more screws) over the outside of the radiator mounting bracket.
Then source some insulation like they use for pipes in the winter and cut to fit and you can seal up the gaps between the radiator and the mounting bracket.
Now you will also need some heavyduty relays or 100amp solenoid as that fan pulls a gawd awful amount of juice on fan spool-up.
Another cool thing as the fan is two speed, so it is a fairly simple process to have a manual overide for the low mode and let the high speed run off a temp sender. Or however you want, when I ran that fan I had it energize off the temp sender so it would run after the engine was shut down for general purpose engine bay cooling, not a performance thing, but was kindve funny watching friends get startled when the fan would kick on because of the heat soak that happens to the radiator fluid once the pump stops turning and the water in the block cooks and expands toward the overflow tank. This would kick on the sender at the thermostat and fire up the fan, again dont know if it helps any, but newer cars do this.....

Also the MArk 4 fan is the same as the taurus. There are some different shroud variations but they all work great. Also, mine came with some VW 40 amp Hella relays that I wired up and they are great. It only barely spikes the huge amp draw so no need for big realys in fact I think even 30 amp might be fine. I used the cheap autozone adjustable thermostat and it works great and I wired it so there is no actual load going through it but I have heard bad things about them, mostly that they are not that reliable. If it were me I'd get a painless or a flexalite setup, uses a screw in temp sensor bung that is a little more reliable. Mine is sort of shoved into the radiator currently and it works but another of those "if I did it again" deals...

The I-6 motor should not need a fan this big for cooling, and I dont think the taurus and the Mark8 are the same beast, but perhaps they share the same electrical motor, doubtful though if they were the same I would expect the electrical draw to be similiar, this one will pop a 30 amp fuse all day long on start up. Course its a junkyard fan maybe the motor needs a bit more juice to turn over than a freshie.
Here a couple of pictures to add to this thread.
Mark8 viewed from bumper without radiator.JPG
Mark8 shroud notching.JPG
Mark8 mounting tabs passenger side.JPG

It works with the different kits out there. It has two draws: hi, low, and the ground. It pulls just the high and just the low. It you have them both wired at the same time is does not pull as well and might even short the motor, I dunno... I think pretty much any controller should work IMO. Here is my wiring diagram which I used 4 relays on (gulp) but someone came and showed me how I could have used three to get the exact functioning.
attachment.php

Attached is my original diagram so you will be able to see the difference. If I didn't want an illuminated switch that eliminates another relay if you want to use a basic one. And I think you can do either one or two relays if you want to get rid of the "kill" switch (can't remember). But I wiried mine so my "high" is an illuminated swithch and so its the "fan off" for water crossings so I remember to turn it back on and don't overheat :)

Anyway..! What years work? I think most V6 and V8 Taurus' and Mark IV's among other fans. If you search on Pirate there are pohotos and writups all over the place. Not sure what year mine is out of, it's used. But it sucks, bad! :D :D :D My guess is late 80's/early 90's? Best of all I had it for less than $50 with relays I think?

Andre

More electric fan info....

Are there any off-the shelf new electric fan options which can be installed instead of belt driven fan on original 2F motor that are currently on the market? I looked around the web and called a few local suppliers, they have no idea what fits vehicle which is close to 40 years old.

Yes, but it's a yard option. Is there any new off the shelf options? Many companies now makes fans, but no one can confirm it will fit 70s FJ40...

I hate bumping up old threads, but this is the only one elatively close to what I am looking for in the FAQ. Pretty much every thread I find is all talking about rigs with V8s.

I have a '68 40 w/F motor and stock radiator. I've got a flex fan on there now, but I'm tired of the thing sounding like a Cessna getting ready to take off while I'm running down the trail. I want to swap in an electric fan, but I cannot figure out how to cram one in there, there is only 2.5" from the radiator to the snout of the water pump and it is right in the middle of the radiator. The OP asked about fans for the 2F and everybody said Taurus, but I have used a Taurus fan before and I can't see how one would ever fit since they are like 6" thick. So I'm curious what people have found that actually fits in there with the F/2F.

I got a plastic fan (7 blade?) from Mark A. a long time ago...bolted right on, in a 55 where there is even less room in front of the 2F...I do not notice the noise. Maybe try a clutched fan from a later 2F? I am not a fan of the electrical fans for an F engine...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom