Rear cargo light, tieing into existing wiring.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I was looking at the EWD the other night, and it appears there should be a wire for a rear cargo light assembly in the ceiling just inside the rear gate. I really feel the light is lacking back there, so I was thinking of getting another dome-light assembly from cruiserparts.net and adding it there. Can anyone confirm that the wiring is in fact there, and if it recieves the signals that the other domes do? i.e. door open or shut. I'd love to be able to just poke a hole in the headliner, wire up the light assembly, and attach it to the ceiling somehow. Has anyone does this before, and is it documented anywhere? I did a brief search, but didn't come up with anything. Thanks

Ary

Yep I can confirm it and yep it has been done. :cool:
IMGP0385.jpg

Love the idea!!! any chance for a complete write up ?

reffug said:
Yep I can confirm it and yep it has been done. :cool:

Wouldn't George's LED work in the existing one and should provide ample light? That way you gear queers wouldn't have to add more stuff to a perfect truck. :)

I've started this project after seeing George's write-up and asked Dan about it too. Dan told me that the light housing is in the rear most cargo area when the 3rd row seats option was not chosen. I think, IIRC, that in those cases the one over the 2nd row seats was absent. So there is a different light housing for that rear cargo area that is an oem part. Dan feel free to chime in and set it straight. The thing I remember, and hence my stalled progress, is that it would only hold a single dome (or replacement LED) and that wasn't enough light back there for me.
Mike

sjcruiser said:
Love the idea!!! any chance for a complete write up ?

I guess that could be done if I would get off my lazy ass and write it up, only problem there is time.

Ary said:
details man, details!

OK, some details, yes the wires are there, at least they were on my 93. Toyota sells this truck with the cargo area light equiped in it, as far as I know, everywhere else in the frickin world except here. :confused: Just one more thing that I guess they think us Americans don't need. Basically you can use a stock Toyota light just light the one that already exists behind the drivers seats for the rear. Anyway let me rack my small brain and if more detail comes to mind I will post later, or if you have specific questions shottz, I mean shoot. :flipoff2:

I agree that the cargo area lighting is lack luster. I am working on a setup that uses the speaker cutouts and LEDs. I'm shooting for a 3W LED on each side ans a switch that operates the same as normal dome lights. I have the drawing done I just need to have them punched out. I will post pics once I have more info.

Kris

concretejungle said:
Wouldn't George's LED work in the existing one and should provide ample light? That way you gear queers wouldn't have to add more stuff to a perfect truck. :)

Alex, I have George's LEDs in both dome lights and the light in the cargo area still sucks. I was thinking of adding little lights behind the speaker grills on the sides since those speakers no longer work in my truck, but in the long run, this will be easier and cheaper.

reffug, how did you find the wires, i.e. did you have to drop the headliner, or what? Also is there a set of captured nuts or something that the light screws into in the structure of the truck, or does it just secure to the headliner itself? Thanks

Ary

I don't remember where I say someone do this, here or the previous board, but it was a great idea. These flouescents can be found at boating stores or probably some van/rv place also.

It wires just the same as described above, the flourescent is good because of such a low amp draw.

After seeing the above post I wish I had thought of doing a factory light with one of George's Lexan's but oh well.

Here's my install.

Well on mine its just the stock toyota light, and I used sheet metal screws. Have ment to go back and use nutserts but since the sheet metal screws work ok its on to other things.

The above link said that the new light activates when "any" door is open. Is this true for US spec FZJ80s? If so, could this be tied into the two dome lights and the map light? That way all of them light up when any door is open. Assuming of course you'd have to cut the switched wire to each light that is coming from the door switches.

There is a dome lamp wire pair bundled in the rear roof wire that goes up the LH pillar. It is folded up and taped to the harness and is right in the uppermost rear corner. When cut free it reaches not quite halfway across the rear sill. An inspection of the rear sill leads me to believe that the OEM lamp is to the left-of-center of the vehicle. There is a flat surface in that spot but it is not relief-cut to mount the lamp (in a US model anyway).

D-

cruiserdan said:
There is a dome lamp wire pair bundled in the rear roof wire that goes up the LH pillar. It is folded up and taped to the harness and is right in the uppermost rear corner. When cut free it reaches not quite halfway across the rear sill. An inspection of the rear sill leads me to believe that the OEM lamp is to the left-of-center of the vehicle. There is a flat surface in that spot but it is not relief-cut to mount the lamp (in a US model anyway).

D-

Wow, the info doesn't get much better than that. :beer:

Plugs right in.

The one for my 93 was $28.56

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom