60's Hydraulic Arm For Rear Hatch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Before you buy more, I just wanted to mention that these hydraulic arms are known not to work as well in colder weather (ideal gas law, PV=nRT). If the problem began when the weather got colder, then that is your problem, you can't do anything about it.

However, if they have been gradually getting worse, you can find them on e-bay sometimes.

SOR carries them http://www.sor.com/sor/cat139.tam?xax=3032&page.ctx=cat139.tam

New ones are a bit stiffer and will help. I would just prolly buy new ones as used ones are going to give you the same greif.

ben

Last edited by a moderator:
go aftermarket...i got some for 19$/pr delivered...work better than stock ever could.

nuclearlemon said:
go aftermarket...i got some for 19$/pr delivered...work better than stock ever could.

Where did you get those lifts? How did you get around the dedicated ball stud?
I couldnt find anything at NAPA.
Russ

i cut my old ball out of the old shock and put on the new shock

Russ in California said:
Where did you get those lifts? How did you get around the dedicated ball stud?
I couldnt find anything at NAPA.
Russ

I oredered a set from JTO for somewhere aroung $50 I think...SACHS is the manufacturer and they came with new ball ends. To remove the old ones, I had to remove the ball from the window / tailgate frame. The new balls screw into the existing threaded holes and the strut just pops on.

I asked at cruiserparts.net and they said $20 a piece, used. Like Benji said, no guarantee that they'll last much longer though.

There's also a guy who sells them as "but it now" only on eBay. I think his are like $60 a pair.

This is for a 62 though. I imagine they're probably the same for a 60 though.

I used part number GSNI5200 in the 90 pound rating, from SPDhardware.com. They have other options but, these are black (5200 is the right size the letters change depending on the style). I cut the old ball out of the original strut but SPD may sell those too. Much better, springs right open now.

We ought to have a good collection of sources before long.. copied from the Wanted forum-

Reference #1
-----------
Hi Listers,
I thought I would share this info for those FJ62 owners that have
sagging rear hatches.

If you've looked for replacements you probably found that they can
be very expensive, even for the aftermarket parts. I found prices
from $50. for aftermarket to over $100. for OEM. And those prices
are EACH!!

Long story short, I did some serious internet searching and found
that many marine suppliers sell hatch lifts. All you have to know
is the extended and compressed length and the lift rate (lbs).

For my 88 FJ62 the extended length is 17", compressed 11", and the
lift rate is 90#. This may be the same for FJ60s but I can't be
positive.

After checking several places the best deal I found was here:
http://www.shipstore.com/ss/html/GEN/GENGS62760.html

Now the good part. The total price for two, including shipping, was
$46.44. Can't beat that with a stick.

One last item, the ends of these lift supports will go right on the
stock ball joint pins. You will have to remove the original
supports along with the pins, then carefully grind the socket end
until you get the pin free. Reinstall the pins in the hatch then
install the new lift support and your done.
--
Cheers,
Gary mailto:gbjork@d-web.com

Reference #2
------------
(from Steve Crase)
Reid Tool
Part# GAS-124 $14.08ea - 90# lift gas cylinder
Part# GAS-202 $ 2.49ea - metal end fitting
reidtool.com

----

and,

Try http://www.mcmaster.com/ page 1061, about $15 each. End fittings on page 1064. Your springs are probably made by Suspa, there are only a few common brands. This summer I did a bunch of research on gas springs for some machines I built, you should be able to get them from various industrial suppliers, especially hydraulic suppliers.

eshelbyk said:
<snip>
and,

Try http://www.mcmaster.com/ page 1061, about $15 each. End fittings on page 1064. Your springs are probably made by Suspa, there are only a few common brands. This summer I did a bunch of research on gas springs for some machines I built, you should be able to get them from various industrial suppliers, especially hydraulic suppliers.

The page has move to 1063

Jer

I have to say that I got these one's from the shipstore today and have to thank everyone for their help because these work awesome. Installed in like 5 minutes and they work like a champ.

Thanks guys for all your input :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I just want to reiterate that the ShipStore replacement is TOP NOTCH. And that customer service there (Jim) has been a huge help, especially when I had a small problem.

I oredered a set from JTO for somewhere aroung $50 I think...SACHS is the manufacturer and they came with new ball ends. To remove the old ones, I had to remove the ball from the window / tailgate frame. The new balls screw into the existing threaded holes and the strut just pops on.

I got those same ones for the same price. No measuring, guessing, or hoping that they would fit and work properly. Took about 6 minutes to install both sides. Only took that long because the bolts on the old ones were so soft it was hard to get a bite on them.

Reference #2
------------
(from Steve Crase)
Reid Tool
Part# GAS-124 $14.08ea - 90# lift gas cylinder
Part# GAS-202 $ 2.49ea - metal end fitting
reidtool.com

No affiliation, but I got these from Reid supply and they are awesome to say the least. Huge improvement over stock! Like others have mentioned, I cut the ball off with the shock, took old fitting out, tapped hole to fit 5/16ths, installed new.

Good Luck-

Ditto.

Adding this to the FAQ.

No affiliation, but I got these from Reid supply and they are awesome to say the least. Huge improvement over stock! Like others have mentioned, I cut the ball off with the shock, took old fitting out, tapped hole to fit 5/16ths, installed new.

Good Luck-

Reid Supply option

I did the Reid Supply option a few weeks ago and am very pleased. Just do a search and it'll pull up. You have to save the balls out of the OEM struts but they fit in the struts from Reic just fine.

Pics Rear Hatch Struts

Sure appreciate all the info on replacement tailgate struts!

I used Reid Supply Co., mfg. is ArvinMeritor, label tag is Guden; Suspa has an on-line order system & also sells the ball studs. Don't miss those little spring clips in the attachment parts bag. No instructions, but I found them to hold the strut on when placed appropriately.

I fortunately started out with 1 extra OEM strut, as I rounded off the 12mm base of one stud completely (must have been on there for 18 years now, 8<), rounded a corner on a couple others. Not to worry, as you can use a box end wrench (love those gearwrenches!) when you reinstall them.

I used a rotary tool to cut the studs free :eek: , from the pic you can see that those cutoff discs I'd worn down to the size of a dime or less cutting my fan shroud work perfectly, as the mandrel can ride the socket & space the cut away from the stud. By the time I'd cut 9 of them I was getting pretty good, and only nicked one of those I did use.

See studssalute pic for a comparison. FJ62 on L has new struts; FJ62 on R is propped up on a mop handle, so its just slightly higher than where weakened struts held it up.

Stand back when you open the hatch so you don't catch it on the chin. I warned the wife to release the tailgate before feet leave ground. :bounce: :bounce2: No more noggin knots!:grinpimp:
strutsparts.jpg
freestuds.jpg
gatessalute.jpg

Just replaced mine today. Bought the pair from Knechts for $45. Too much locktite and had to cut off the balls with my cutting wheel to get a good grip on the little buggers. Went back on with no problems!
Its like heaven again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom