Temp Laptop Mounts and 'electronic manuals' (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone had success in building some kind of temporary mount that is secure for a laptop that fits over the centre console area vs. a real mount which requires screwing into the floor etc?

On a side note, I've been creating a great electronic manual that consists of relevant scanned FSM pages (or download from the site) and, more importantly, saved version of i8mud threads, tech pages etc with the words and pics (I use File/Save As/ Save As Type - Web Archive SINGLE FILE) - so I always have a list of how to fix the PHH, birf rebuild etc! I store them on one of the USB data thingy's

Cheers, Hugh

Hugh -

Perhaps you have an item in that collection that would be very helpful !

Please see this thread.

BTW, it's about time you gave me a shout on 2m IRLP Node #8170. It would be great to hear from ya!

Cheers, R -

that is a nice idea.

Laptop Mount idea for 80 series...

Just an update on my laptop mount endeavors.. this is still a work in progress, but I’m just about there. The irony is that I had this idea a while back to make a laptop mount using pipe fittings from Home Depot.. then I started poking around Ebay and saw these cheapo laptop mounts, so I decided to just get one and see if I could get any ideas. Well, what I ended up getting off of Ebay was a bunch of pipe fittings from Home Depot. Pretty comical actually, I think this is the auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31534&item=5145513028&rd=1

What works cool is the ½” pipe flange just barely fits down into the square pocket in the center console. I bought a slightly longer M8 x 1.25 screw to go through the flange and into the same mount that holds the console down, there’s a slight press fit at the bottom between the flange and the inside of the square pocked for some added stability. Then just screw the pipe in, add whatever elbows and pipe sections seem to work. I’m going back to the Depot for more parts, to get a combination that’s about 1” taller, so I can open the lids of the center console.

Downside is the tapered threads on the pipes. You need to crank the piss of out the pipe to get it so it doesn’t come loose.. and most the time when it’s tight it’s not aligned how I want it. Also, once it’s cranked tight it means it doesn’t move, so twisting the laptop around between driver & passenger is not an option. I’m hoping I can find a nut that I can use as a jam nut, then I’ll install one at each fitting, then twist the section of the mount just right, then tighten the jam nut to secure it. This will also enable quick adjustments on the fly.

The top is a ¼” piece of plastic, with another ½” flange screwed to it. They screwed a little aluminum extrusion to one side for a stop, then just a long piece of Velcro to strap around the laptop. Very simple, if I can get all of the joints tight using a jam nut or something it should hold up pretty well.

And of course, this thread is worthless without pics..
nak_laptop_2.JPG
nak_laptop_1.JPG

Nakman ,

Any concerns about a large , sharp pc of plexiglass in the passenger compartment ? If you get nailed in the front passenger corner , it might throw you out of the shoulder harness and onto it .

TY

I have installed a mount similar to Nakman's. I purchased a mount made by RAM products. I had to remove the center console and drill four mounting holes where Nakman has his cup holding but other than that it was a snap. I use a Tablet PC made by Fujitsu (Stylistic 3400) purchased on Ebay for $350.00. This is perfect for running my DeLorme GPS as it is similar to a standard Laptop but all the hard drive etc is in the screen. Mine measures around 9" x 11". It is touch screen capable and when I need to use a keyboard I have a infra red wireless included with the package. The RAM mount was $35.00 at a local Marine store and is adjustable on all axis.

MSGG - Post a pic - it sounds like a great set-up

Yes, pics of the ram mount please..

Ty, I guess I didn't consider that, but I'm not that worried about it. I'm only going to have this in the rig when I want to use the laptop, which will be wheeling with the Delorme Topo GPS kickin, occasionally I may try out the Streetmap stuff as well. The rest of the time all there will be is the flange at the bottom of the square. If I got nailed that hard I think another piece of plexiglass will be the least of my worries. Besides, I've got an ARB which makes me invincible. :)

I use an Universal Jotto desk laptop mount. Works out well and easily removable. The unit comes with a 1/4" baseplate with six hole for the tranny tunnel. HOwever, I use the seat bracketries for a much better, less wallowy mount. I think Jotto desk unit goes for around $150.
front_seat_mount.jpg
laptop_driver.jpg
normal_height.jpg

Ok, second update on the laptop mount (really just trying to bury the "move the threads" post.. :flipoff2:

anyway, couldn't find a suitable jam nut so I ended up drilling and tapping into the elbow fittings. Can't believe how well it works, don't even need to crank on the screws hard to get the thing to remain in place. Plus with a stubby in the center square, adjustments are a snap. So cross that one off the list...

here are some more pics.
nak_lapmount3.jpg
nak_lapmount1.jpg
nak_lapmount2.jpg

You'll note that with being able to twist & lock it around, I can move it so it's at optimum viewing (and optimal annoyance) between driver & passenger. Putting it square in the center it's easy to see from either back seat. I've got a bunch of random pipe parts now, so I'm going to mess with swapping out the lower upright one with a shorter one, so it's not as much of a distraction. But then again, it's not like I look that far over while driving anyway, so if this was running mapping software it'd probably be ideally located. Nice thing with the laptop is you can always slam the lid shut if you need it out of the way in a hurry.

Nakman .. profanity can't begin to describe just how cool that is !! :D

Alia176 .. you too .

Haha .. can you tell I'm green with envy ? :rolleyes:

TY

Thanks Ty, and from one geek to another I'm sure you noticed the wireless card and can appreciate the fact that I've been posting from the garage all night.. :cheers:

just got back from a victory cruise around the neighborhood, it doesn't even shake that bad. True test is in the dirt though..

Ty,

Thanks. My setup has been in use for about a year and I'm very pleased with it. There's no wobbly-ness on washboards or slow driving on bumpy road/rocks. My friends who have installed this unit with the supplied base plate (with six holes), are seeing more movements while off roading.

One thing that helps is to have a "mini" sized laptop vs a full blown laptop. Typically, the Minis are smaller and tend to be lighter overall. Unfortunately, you don't have access to CDs or Floppies so all data must be loaded onto the HDD.

Ali

I'm in the process of installing a complete pc in my cruiser with an in-dash 7" monitor(where the factory stereo was). We just finished doing this in my Uncle's Corvette, and what he has found to be the easiest way of loading things/working on the computer/etc is to log in to the computer in the car through his home network and work on it from his house computer. This enables file transfers, program installation, etc. etc. I don't know quite how to do that as I'm nowhere near as computer savvy as he is, but he said it's quite easy to do. Just an idea for those considering mini's w/o floppy or CD drives.

Ary

Cool idea - So I'm assuming that he has just installed a wireless network card in the 'CarPuter'?

This is obvioulsy where all of this is going and if I knew more I would love to install a CarPuter - just think of all the flexibility:

- Allways up-to-date moving map for offroad and onroad as well as autorouting vs spending crazy money on a smaller-screen, expensive, soon to be obsolete autorouting GPS
- OBD II readings on the fly (keep perm connection)
- iTunes / music library
- Electronic manuals - factory, EWD, etc.
- Wireless email and web
- DVD player
- Amateur radio applications

I friend has just changed from a RAM Laptop mount to a Jotto, so I plan to pick-up his laptop mount and play with it over the holidays. I'm also finally taking the plunge and getting a GPS that suits my needs.

Cheers, Hugh

Perhaps this is another topic?

You can buy a single DIN carputer that will fit nicely into the lower slot!!! The top DIN slot can be used for an auto or a manual 7" LCD screen. Yeah baby....only more money!!!

alia176 said:
Perhaps this is another topic?

You can buy a single DIN carputer that will fit nicely into the lower slot!!! The top DIN slot can be used for an auto or a manual 7" LCD screen. Yeah baby....only more money!!!

Yes, this is very possible. I was looking into this as well, but since I'm picking up most of my uncle's scrap parts for next to nothing I will go with what works for now. I also am not crazy about a motorized screen because it seems like the mechanism would take a lot of abuse on the bumpy roads that I travel. I'm not crazy about a non-motorized flip-out screen for the same reason. My screen will be hard mounted and is a touchscreen. I've been thinking about incorporating a roller ball and two mouse buttons into the gear shifter, but that will be a more advanced accessory that will come at a much later date.

Ary

wow - very cool! Post the links on the single din carputer - amazing stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom