Ticking noise in 2000 Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got 95K miles on my Cruiser with the 90K service having been done a few months ago. There seems to be a ticking noise coming from the engine more noticeable when the engine is cold. Could the overhead cam produce that sound? Engine runs flawlessly. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks. Mike D.

Is this truck new to you? The fuel injectors will make a ticking noise.

there is also no hydrlic lifters in this engine. it has a shim an puck system for adjusting the valves. so there is a gap that will create a slight tick(between the cam lobe and the shim) even when warm. if you are worried take it by a toyota shop and ask if this sound is normal. later robbie

I have the same problem with my 2001 LC with 84k miles. It's been diagnosed by a Toyota dealer as a cracked passenger side exhaust manifold. It's loudest on startup, then fades away as the engine warms up. I've heard its not an uncommon problem with the 4.7 engines. I also have a 2000 Tundra, so hope its not contagious. Have an appointment next week to get the manifold replaced (with some monetary assistance from Toyota & the dealer.

Cracked manifold causing the ticking noise is a known problem with the V8s. I read of a number of reports of this problem when the Sequoias first came out. Took a while for the factory to figure out what all the new buyer's were fussing about. My knowledge is a couple of years old, and I haven't kept up on whether or not Toyota made any changes to reduce or eliminate the issue. www.tundrasolutions.com forum would be the place to go to get the latest info from owners of Tundras and Sequoias.

Last edited:
I have experienced instances where the 1UZ exhaust manifolds do sometimes leak, mostly in Tundras (as opposed to REAL 4WDs :flipoff2: ). This will result in a "ticking" sound. Sometimes MR T will cover the repair, sometimes he won't. visit your local dealer (you DO have a relationship with him, don't you?) and ask for assistance if you experience this issue.

D-

Yeah. With a Tundra and now a Land Cruiser as well, you might say I'm developing a relationship with Mr. T. It feels like he's becoming a dependent.

I am having the same problem with my 01 with 80k. Does anybody about how much the dealer charges to fix the problem?

I also have the same problem with a 2004 100 with 25,000KM
the ticking noise only happens when the engine is cold, gear is on D and brakes are applied.. it goes away after the engine warms up..
the dealer claims it's because of some rubbers that are supposed to absorb vibrations in the front suspension system but pass the vibration on to the metal parts when cold..

The L.H. exhaust manifold on my 84 K mi 2001 LC was replaced last month by the dealer. It was not cracked, but one of the flanges that bolts to the head had warped, creating enough of a gap that exhaust gasses were leaking when cold. Once replaced, the ticking noise went away. Cost was split 1/3 each by Toyota, dealer & me. No problems since.

Ecocruiser, If you dont mind me asking how much did the dealer make you pay to replace the manifold. I believe that I have the same problem that you did and I don't really trust my local dealer in giving me an accurate quote if the dealer, myself and toyota will all contribute. Thanks

Does anybody know the cost to replace the exhaust manifold?

Thought I'd chime in here. I purchased a 2000 with 70K miles from a Toyota daler in February. I had the same ticking sound and eventually a CE light. Dealer diagnosed cracked right side manifold. They said the leak eventually will trip the CE light for O2 sensor. I had the manifold and O2 sensor replaced under warranty. After the right side was replaced, they found that the left side had a small crack as well. I had that side replaced (also under warranty) as well. The manifold itself is not that expensive, list is about 240. Labor for the right side came to about 580. Labor on the left side was about 70 more. There are some gaskets at about 16 / side plus lock nuts.

Phew, that sounds much better. Seems like lots of owners are experiencing cracked manifolds.

hoser said:
Phew, that sounds much better. Seems like lots of owners are experiencing cracked manifolds.

This was actually what my mechanic told me when I got the 100. "Great trucks but I've seen several cracked manifolds".

Can you just replace them with headers and eliminate the chance of it happening again? Or did Toyota actually improve the part?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom