Ticking noise in 2000 Cruiser (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bollocks! I've noticed a tick too and was wondering what that was. And I've got less than 20k on it. Rats.

Is there a TSB for cracked manifolds? Did Toyota fix this problem on '03+ 100's? You'd think if it's occuring with any frequency here, there are a lot more around the world with the same problem.

Was this a stupid question? Or does nobody know the answer? :confused:

ATLcrusher said:
Can you just replace them with headers and eliminate the chance of it happening again? Or did Toyota actually improve the part?

You certainly could replace them with headers. I will do this if I ever develop a leak. I have no idea if Toyota improved the part???

What material is the OEM exhaust manifold made of?

I have a 2000 LX with 65K miles,bought it in Nov 2004. Took it in last week for 60K maint @ an independent toyota shop.When I dropped it off I told the shop owner I here a ticking sound when cold and maybe valves need adj. He immediately told me it was probably a cracked manifold , he has seen several and his own 2000 LC with 85k is cracked. I took mine to the local Lexus dealer and they confirmed the crack. New mainifold will be in monday and covered completely under warranty.

theyacht said:
He immediately told me it was probably a cracked manifold , he has seen several and his own 2000 LC with 85k is cracked. I took mine to the local Lexus dealer and they confirmed the crack. New mainifold will be in monday.

Is the exhaust manifold on the driver's side or passenger's side cracked, or both?

My driver side manifold crapped out on me at 53K on my 2000 LC. I tried to get the dealership to cover it under the 60K warranty but they wouldnt budge. I even talked the Regional Warranty guy at Toyota and he wouldnt cover the manifold either.

Dealership quoted me 900 bucks. 300 for mainfold and 600 for 8 hours of labor. Apparently that is what the "book" says. The other Toyota dealership in town wouldnt cover the manifold either and quoted me an even higher price of 1100 bucks. I called several indepedent shops in town and kept getting the same 600 dollar price for labor and 300 bucks for the part. They are all apparently reading from the same "book." I whined and moaned to the dealership and they eventually gave me the manifold for free. So, i spent 600 on the whole deal.

I am glad someone on this forum was able to convince Toyota that an exhaust manifold should be covered under the warranty. I, unfortunately, was not able to do so.

My service advisor indicated that manifolds seem to be an ongoing problem with 100 series Cruisers. He also told me that my cruiser at 53K was the earliest he had seen a manifold go out. That made me free even worse about the whole ordeal!

Last edited:
Domingo, next time buy a Lexus :doh:

But really, I can't believe they wouldn't cover an exhaust manifold. Seems like everybody else has been had it covered (or at least on the Lexus forums). That IS part of the drivetrain.

hoser said:
Domingo, That IS part of the drivetrain.

Actually, I'd have to double check the warranty booklet to be sure, but they may consider it part of the exhaust /emissions system.

In my Lexus Warranty book (I know, it might be different for the TLC)--

Powertrain Warranty

Engine
Cylinder block and head and all internal parts, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, timing belt and cover, flywheel, oil pan, water pump, fuel pump, engine mounts, engine control computer, seals and gaskets.

It is my understanding that the warranty for Land Cruisers covers the exhaust manifold under the 3/36000 emissions warranty but not under the 5/60K warranty.

I wish it werent true for my situation. Maybe I should buy a Lexus next time. But, I am the typical guy that can't afford a LC new and has to buy one used. I am the upper end of my price range as it is.

Jim_Chow said:
Is there a TSB for cracked manifolds?

What does TSB stand for. I assume it is some kind of extended warranty due to a bad design or faulty part. Since I'm at 130k miles and outside of any normal warranty, this becomes important to me.

Has anyone changed an exhaust manifold themselves. The FSM goes at it from the standpoint that the engine is out of the vehicile. The passenger side doesn't look that tough from a quick inspection but the flat rate is high (6-8 hours). The driver's side is definitly more dificult due to the steering column.

TSB=Technical Service Bulletin

If there were a TSB, there's a chance it would be covered, even out of warranty. Back in the 90's, there was a TSB on 4runner V6's from '90-95...bad batch of head gaskets when the change was made to non-asbestos HG's. Toyota replaced HG's on rigs up to @100K mi, long after the warranty had expired. It seems the cracked manifold, though not as crucial as a HG, should be a TSB if it isn't. If Toyota gets enough complaints, they might issue one.

I just brought my truck in and they said that both the driver and passenger side manifolds are cracked. They quoted me $1800 for the job which seems high. Has anybody else had to deal with this?

lhl said:
I just brought my truck in and they said that both the driver and passenger side manifolds are cracked. They quoted me $1800 for the job which seems high. Has anybody else had to deal with this?

I had both replaced at dealer -scroll up and read my earlier post re cost

I was quoted 1800 for both manifolds as well.

Although only one was cracked they offered to replace to other one as well but threw in the manifold for free. So, it would have only cost 1500 (1500 plus 300 for the free part equals 1800). I decided to only fix the broken manifold.

How many miles does your Cruiser have? mine only had 53K. I hope my other manifold doesn't go out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom