revive your rusty ambulance doors... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, I thought some of you might be interested to see my solution to rusty ambulance doors.

Your doors rot out from between the inner and outer panels because the old weather stripping hold moisture right against the seam. even if your door look good from the outside, the cancer is lurking inside your doors.....

The reason the upper rail is basically rust-free, it a combination of:
•gravity pulling water away, down to your lower edge.
•sand, salt, and grit work their way from your tires and rear floor into your lower seam.
•old weather stripping acts as a sponge, and holds water against the seam long after it has rained.

Get yourself another passenger side ambulance door (preferably with its lower edge already rotted out -- that way you'll most likely get it for free) for every one of your doors that needs a new lower edge.

existing door -- green, donor door -- red:
f7752e74.jpg

the previous owner made a valiant attempt to fix his (or her) door by riveting tin gutter material over the rot. I guess it'll work for a trail rig, but I wanted a quality job.
f7752fdb.jpg

Here's what my lower edge looked like. There was no steel left between the inner and outer panels!
f7752fd8.jpg

f7752fd0.jpg

Go to your donor door and cut off the upper rail of the window frame. It's acually ~5mm narrower than the width of the lower edge of the door, as well as ~4mm thicker, but we'll deal with that later.
f7752fdc.jpg

Cut the upper rail off the pillars 100mm from the top edge. My 45° cuts were made to avoid the curves where the rubber window seals go. Remove the inner part where the window rubber mates.
f7752fe2.jpg

I forgot to shoot a pic of the red 'cap', so imagine you are seeing this piece in red (If you're red-green colour-blind, disregard and skip to the next step.)
f7752fdd.jpg

For a really good fit, you'll want to use the donor door as a test run. Work out all the bugs, and then transfer the shape of the amputated donor door to your 'good' door.
f7752fd9.jpg

I had two donor doors (the blue one was only good for the pull handle that was bolted to it!). Cut your patch cap (again I forgot to get a shot of the red cap) in half to stretch it out ~5mm. I used a portion from my blue, practice cap to fill the 'stretch', but you resourseful people could get this 5mm piece from elsewere on the donor door.
f7752fd2.jpg

Now, cut each half into an outer and inner side. The best place to cut in on the inner panel, about 5mm from where the outer panel wraps around. Slice closer to the plane of the floor in this pic, don't slice closer to you, because then you get into the radiused part that clears your upper sill brackets (remember this blue part came from the top of the door).
f7752fdf.jpg

Now, cut the lower edge from your good door. This was the tough part because I had no rust perforating the outer panel; It appeared mint from the outside....
f7752fde.jpg

However, one look at the inside confirmed the need for all this work.
f7752fce.jpg

f7752fcd.jpg

This was as test fit prior to sectioning my new cap into inner and outer sections
f7752fd3.jpg

This is as far as I got tonight. Everything is going together straight and true. The best results come from slow (read tedious) progress, only tack welding far apart, and waiting for each tack to cool (ie. to the touch) before tacking 150mm away. .6mm (.023" for our non-metric friends) wire, lowest voltage setting, really slow wire speed, and the welder tip nearly touching the door. Oh... also lots of C-clamps, vice grips, and thick aluminum stock to act as a level clamping surface (and heat-sink). I think I was able to minimise warpage, by alternating tacks on the inner and outer surface.
f7752fcf.jpg

f7752fe3.jpg

f7752fd5.jpg

f7752fd1.jpg

f7752fd7.jpg

'kinda cheating -- the last piece it just resting in place:
f7752fd4.jpg

I know the lower corners of the rear door opening on stock Toyota tubs changed from right angled to radiused corners (or vice versa). My tub is made from aftermarket panels, so the 90° corners suit me fine. If you need radiused corners, that could be handled by a cut-off wheel and a little more welding.

Once I get everything tacked into place, I'll stitch the seam solid with lots more tack-welds. The finished door will get caustic soda dipped, and pickled before Endura epoxy primer and paint.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:
Pics

Maybe its just my :princess: computer but I cant see any of the pics. Can anybody else see them?

Me too. I'd like to see the pics!

I can see about 1/2 of them?

I can see them

I can see half... the other half just right click on the red X and click "show picture" and the rest of them will display.

same here, but the half i see look pretty nice man, good work

i'm bout to go thru and do some frankenstein work like that on my front doors, i'll let y'all know how it comes out

malphrus

I'm just as confused as you guys...

Last night everything tested out fine with respect to the pictures!?

I'll see what I can do...

Do you think the pics are two large (400x300) or are there too many of them?

Last edited:
Got about half the pics, but all of the concept. Good idea. I will pass it along. Thanks.

i keep seeing more and more of them,

maybe it's something with your host, i don't know

whole process looks very well planned and executed...

malphrus

probably be good in the tech links

Way to go! Nice job

I see four pictures, please fix your links or just post an address where we can view them. I see you are hosting them on imagestation. I tried some of the addresses for your pictures and it says unauthorized. That is why they are not showing up. Either they don't allow linking or you have not authorized folks to view them.

Thanks

Can you put this in a Word file with the pictures and e-mail it to Woody. He can then post it on the Tech Links page.

Great idea and write-up, bet the pictures I can't see are great.

That rocks man, I think its a great idea.

For the lower lock assembly you just cut out the opening and weld in nut?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom