New cruiser (Here rosco...) Not 56k friendly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.team4g.com
So I've had her for about 3 months now... except I spent 2 of those months in Europe so she did heavy haulage duties while the old man renovated the house. (47 loads of crap to the tip! and apparently other loads to our storage sheds!)

She's a 1991 model from memory that has been kept as the toy and baby of the previous owner since new. She had a full service history from a diesel mechanic for all 330000 kms that she'd done prior to me getting her and had at least one engine rebuild prior. The Gearbox/transfer were fully rebuilt (with the $3k receipts) about 15000-20000 kms ago and consequently are AWESOME.

These specs are as of this coming saturday... I have a bunch of stuff to install!

Current
1HZ 4.2litre non-turbo diesel
Dual batteries
33x12.5 BFG MUD's on 15x8 CSA Nomad rims
Stock suspension (.....)
Rarely working rear LSD
IMMACULATE paint/panels, 100% RUST FREE, never been in an accident, never had a panel off except the bonnet and front support for getting the engine out.
8'6 x 6'3 steel dropside tray with full cage top open... good for shooting etc. w/fishing rod holders, rifle mounts and the cage is removable.
Toyota optioned drivers seat (see photo)
Uniden AM set (the other mhz)
Uniden FM set (477mhz)
Uniden Bearcat7 Scanner w/all the bells and whistles (Handy for listening to anyone and anything including emergency services/etc)
Blaupunkt Single din flip out 7inch dvd player/headunit
Blaupunkt 4channel amp
Focal V2 6inch splits w/tweeters
Focal 5inch subwoofer
Custom doorpods courtesy consoles.com (AWESOME!!!!)
Custom centre console with sub mounted in back as above
Pirahna DBM180S+ Dual Batt management system with DBM4 Monitor running my Triple battery setup (third batt under tray)
TJM Ox Air Compressor with tank under tray
120 litre long range tank (that leaks... must fix this)
Hella 160 driving lights (will be replaced with Lightforce HID's soonish)
ARB Commercial Bullbar
ARB Brush bars (side bars...)
Airhorns... of course.
Under tray toolbox (other side will get the water tank!)

On Order
Dash pod for 4 gauges, 2x fuel, boost, egt (One fuel will be used in the onboard water tank that is going in)
Those 4 gauges...
TJM T-13 Outback Bullbar
TJM Ox Hydraulic Winch w/cordless remote, dump valve
3x TJM Jerry can holders suitable for welding to tray
New Canvas canopy with modifications due to current one being rooted.
Unifilter Snorkel Filter (goes over snorkel head, extra dust filter)

Wishlist (coming eventually)
Bond Ultimate Battery, 2x Bond Marine Batttery (Dry cells)
Pajero seats with spring bases or ARB Paratus seats
Third battery tray to go in engine bay
TJM Pro Lockers (Front & Rear, front first)... gonna trial them instead of the standard ARB Air Locker options
T-Shaped centre roof console (sick of current one) from consoles.com
L shaped floor tray to match floor console from consoles.com
OME Suspension, custom specced supplied by local ARB dealer
Honda EU20i portable generator... mmmmmmmmm :D
Drag Chain (Got the rest x2!)
Small chainsaw
Hi-lift jack
Lightforce 170 HID's
Under tray water tank (or 2)
Power shower (Heat exchanger/etc)
Air Conditioning!!!!!!!!

Photos in next post

Last edited:
hzj75fr.JPG

hzj75fl.JPG

hzj75rl.JPG

hzj75int1.JPG

hzj75int2.JPG

hzj75eng1.JPG

hzj75eng2.JPG

hzj75bcan.JPG

hzj75bcan2.JPG

hzj75bcan3.JPG

hzj75bcan4.JPG

hzj75bcan5.JPG

... stock suspension at full travel...

Landy.jpg

Previous photo was an action shot... I was actually midway through driving over that and a bloke we were with on that excursion snapped the pic.

I have more shots... also have super high res versions.

Interior shot is not upto date.

Sweet! Did the earlier models ever come with the 1HD-T instead of the 1HZ under the hood or not?

:beer:

No unfortunately,not until the current model came along.

Nice one Entaran I like the caged rear ,great for picking up hitch hikers in the Bengalo state forest ,er I mean for stopping stuff getting stolen by hitch hikers:eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

Nice wheels ,what are they?
Whats the aircon like ,nice and cool like mine?:grinpimp:

Last edited:
Entaran nice truck......
-- I see in one of your pic's that there is a cover on top of the dash..
What exactly is that cover? are they available as an option there.?

Ok.... the wheels I listed. 15x8 CSA Nomad. Not in production in that size anymore, you can only get 16x8 or 15x7. I wanted spares :/

The truck doesn't have aircon. Where i'm from you don't need it :p The heater works REALLY REALLY well tho. Aircon's for pansies. I haven't had aircon in any of my cars (that worked...) for at least 3 years. I am however getting aircon installed before I hit the simpson.

The cover on top of the dash is a ... dashmat :D IE: A piece of carpet. Stops the dash fading/cracking, also stops s*** flying across the front like it does in 70 series... ie: my sunglasses going flying out the window on a corner. (shh, it's happened).

I love the cage because it keeps my 3 german shepherds away from idiots with fingers. Shepherds + idiots = no hands = lawsuit = dogs getting "put to sleep" because people are stupid and stick their hands in to pat the "cute dogs".

Uhh... they're like WW2 attack dogs. WTF would you pat one you don't know for?

Entaran nice truck......
-- I see in one of your pic's that there is a cover on top of the dash..
What exactly is that cover? are they available as an option there.?

We have them for every model. I have one in each of my cruisers and one in the volvo.
They have slots so the demister still works and velcro tabs to hold them in position.
Like Entaran says they stop stuff like sunglasses ect sliding around
Check oz ebay,most sell for $20-$40
Toyota dealers charge about $60
I think any 70 series would work on a LJ78

Ok.... the wheels I listed. 15x8 CSA Nomad. Not in production in that size anymore, you can only get 16x8 or 15x7. I wanted spares :/

The truck doesn't have aircon. Where i'm from you don't need it :p The heater works REALLY REALLY well tho. Aircon's for pansies. I haven't had aircon in any of my cars (that worked...) for at least 3 years. I am however getting aircon installed before I hit the simpson.

QUOTE]

So Ballarat doesnt get hot any more ?:rolleyes:
It was like the Siberia of Victoria when I was there in the 90s:D

I think a lot of the electrical wiring will be there for the aircon.
The engine bay is easy
Yours is only the 2nd or 3rd HZJ75 Ive seen without it.
Even that front engine hook is rare as the aircon bracket has it built into the bracket;)
When you do the engine rebuild put the extra pulley onto the harmonic balancer so its there ready for the aircon;)

Aircon's getting professionally installed soon at the old man's expense. He hates driving cars without aircon (drives a mercedes day to day...). Don't really care :)

75's without aircon are fairly common around here. Ballarat now get's about mid 30's on a bad day, but by evening is back into the low teens and so on (IE: Today). I live from midday to weird early morning hours (hospitality) so I really don't care :)

.. errr.. btw i'm 21.

Thanks for the info on the dash matt guys.
Regards

So to resurrect this thread....

She's gone in for open heart surgery...

Engine is:
Block bore, hone, crack testing, surfacing etc (1800+ dollars of machining)
Shot peened rods
Forged pistons
New rings, seals, gaskets, water pump, oil pump, timing assembly
All new ancillaries (hoses, vac lines, belts etc)
Cooling system flush/clean
TD05H16G on DTS manifold running 15psi boost (about 4 weeks after I finish running in the engine, have all parts at home) using jspec VR4 intercooler front-mounted vertically drivers side grille between radiator and bullbar
Reconditioned/new Injector pump & injectors
New clutch

Suspension is:
OME LTR shocks
OME 400kg constant load rear leaves +50mm lift
OME 50-110kg constant load front leaves +50mm lift
All new bushes (everywhere)
Greasable shackles & pins
New u-bolts
Anti inversion/caster kits
New OME steering damper (mine leaks)
Polyair Bellow style airbags in the rear hooked to a bushranger Max air II aircompressor

Aircon install to take place in approx 4-6 weeks (Engine going to take 2-3 weeks)

Pictures of the cruiser

hzj75bcan5.JPG

This tray is 8'5" by 6'3" and weighs a little over 500kg (it's made from 1/4 inch thick plate steel with dropsides and a full flip up cage that is welded, not bolted to the base), you can see the undertray toolbox on the LHS (with the sticker on it) and the 15x8 CSA Nomad rims with BFG 33x12.5 M/T's. There is a Bushranger Towhitch Recovery Receiver in the 2 inch hitch which I use for dragging fallen trees and stuck 4x4's with the stuff I keep in the truck. Toolbox has the towhitch receiver and 2 full recovery kits in it also some chains and d-bolts.

hzj75brl.JPG

Same angle but a little further back with the canopy all closed up, this is what everyone else sees.
hzj75bfl.JPG

There is a small bend above the number plate where the previous owner had a winch strapped to the non-winch bar (and it's been pulled out of shape). This bullbar is due to be replaced with a TJM T-13 Outback bar (or an ARB Deluxe Winch Bar) sometime in the near future after I get some more cash to do so. Also looking at strapping a hydraulic winch to it instead of electric as I don't like the current draw of electrics. There are crappy hella spotlights on the bullbar, which I really need tor replace with Lightforce items but this is way down the list, they work well enough for now. There is now a 2nd aerial on opposite side of the bullbar for the scanner and the snorkel has a unifilter filter sock (part number PC43 from them)
hzj75bfr.JPG

Main tank's filler is just behind the door (as standard), long range tank filler is mounted just behind the rear wheel under the tray (I think you can BARELY make it out) between the third and fourth tiedown bars. The canopy is due to be replaced soon but will cost me another $1000 to have it redone and I think i'm going to go red or possibly the same green it has now.
hzj75bl.JPG

Just another shot of the rig.
hzj75eng1.JPG

The engine bay when it's clean. There is now a third battery mounted across the firewall up the back behind the other two, the front two hav ebeen remounted a litle higher and further forward. I've replaced the lot with bond ultimate batteries instead of those things due to unknown age/condition. The airhorns are not connected as they annoy me, I plug them in when going camping or long distance driving. I will be strapping a turbo to it shortly and then welding up a bunch of intercooler piping and so forth so the bay is going to get a little more cramped.
hzj75fr.JPG

This is my favourite shot of her :)
hzj75int2.JPG

An outdated older picture of the interior, that's a pirahna DB180S+ dual battery management system and a uniden UHF on the floor there. Stay tuned for BIG changes inside :)

Nice looking canopy you got there. If you ever travel around oz it will come in handy for security.
I took my canvass and frame off a few weeks back and got the fuel economy down to 12.8/100 from 14.5/100:D
I got it back on for my gold prospecting trip to Mt Magnet and Meekatharra next week but it will be coming off when I get back.

Are you going to put aircon in that?:D
I bet you missed your cruiser while you were in Europe;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom