Poser, Why is this plug in my head? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There's a drilled out oil passage behind that plug, if you look to the left of it, there's a pressed in cap on the opposite face of the casting.

Mine was leaking there (now it's stopped up with JB weld).

Anyway - I don't know what the plug is for, but-cept to keep oil from squirting out!

Rocky

It is entirely possible that someone drilled that for an oil pressure tap.

I think Poser has it right... an oil guage setup?

Usually the pressed in plug (to the left) of your allen plug is removed, tapped and plugged. The press in plug is an oil galley drill port that can work loose over time, leaving your motor pumping oil out the side of the block. I know of a half dozen motors personally that fell victim to this.

Unless yours goes through & past the oil galley, you can assume yours still needs to be plugged.

That would be a poor loction for reading oil pressure. The flow to that point is restricted at the camshaft and open at the rockers. Very low pressure readings and not at all indicative of what the bearings are seeing.

That may be why there is no longer a connection to an oil pressure guage there. (?)

Or maybe someone chose to block the unnneeded oil passage that leads to the press in plug. The size of the allen plug looks like it would completely block the passage behind it.

Mark...

Mark W said:
Or maybe someone chose to block the unnneeded oil passage that leads to the press in plug. The size of the allen plug looks like it would completely block the passage behind it.
Mark...

that sounds like a winner...............

Paperwork says 81-87 2F, So I was unsure if it was the better head design? Or anything at all.

Mark W said:
That would be a poor loction for reading oil pressure. The flow to that point is restricted at the camshaft and open at the rockers. Very low pressure readings and not at all indicative of what the bearings are seeing.

That may be why there is no longer a connection to an oil pressure guage there. (?)

Mark...

I think your right Mr. W., My friend's cruiser blew it's motor when that plug popped out and it puked all it's oil. He said that he was just riding along, then after it started to make noise he noticed no oil pressure, popped the hood and saw a total oil bath. Ever since i've seen a lot of locals drill and tap that hole to keep it from happening to them. I don't know how real of a threat it is, but the local machine shop seems to think so and they do it when they rebuild heads.

-Stumbaugh

Definite real threat. Pretty well know achilles heel in the 2Fs and seemingly more so in the 3Fs.

It's not particularly likely to fail. But when it does it can be catostrophic. :(

Mark...

I'm with with you on that Mark. It was a 3F that it failed on and I've seen a few 3F that were weeping oil from the slug.

I only know of one personally that failed but if I was rebuilding one, i'd def tap and plug it.

-Stumbaugh

drilled and tapped the plug and replaced with allen bolt. I have the same on mine. Mine was installed by the machine shop here in Walnut Creek, Morgan's.
Tim Morgan used to do all the shop work for the local toyota and said he had a jig set up so that he could go to the dealership and do the tap on the car. If your car was ever in Walnut Creek good chance that is one of his.

Whoa... Just saw this thread and freaked out at petescoffee from walnut creek.... I was just out there from NC about 2 weeks ago and sat at Pete's for about 2 hrs. If I'm out there again, I'm going back to that coffee shop!

hey y'all,

i am about to paint my head after gettin it rebuilt, and i ran across this thread, and remembered somebody talkin about this same thing on the 'best 2f' thread a while back.

does anybody have another picture of this? i think the image host is down or something for aatlas...

malphrus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom