Safari snorkel - Will it work for me? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

I am wanting to get a Safari snorkel for my HDJ81. However I have a rare factory option for fender mounted mirrors. I want to keep the mirrors, otherwise I would get rid of them. I am worried about the mirrors being in the way of the install.

What do you think? Will they stop me from being able to install a snorkel?
I will take better pics of my truck tonight or tomorrow.
The mirrors are situated just above where my air cleaner hose goes into the fender.

How tight is the snorkel to the fender where it joins. Could someone take a picture of it? My mirror sits more on the top of the panel, could someone take a picture of this spot. They might be able to clear each other (snorkel and the mirror that is). Is there a gap between the snorkel and the fender? If it looks like my mirror would be in the way, maybe could I heat up the snorkel plastic and remold it to be out of the way?

Thanks,
Nick

I will take better pics soon.
These are older pics from when my truck was still in Japan.
1.jpg

2.jpg

Tapage said:
never seen before those mirrors .. are power mirrors . ? wwoooou Toyota can impress my always .. :)

Yup, they are factory Toyota power mirrors. I think they were an option in Japan only, and a rare option at that.
I have the usual switch inside to control them.

They give me TONS of visibility and virtually remove all blind spots. When I am wheeling I can aim them down at my rockers so I can see when I am in danger of crunching something. Not only are they a cool OEM option, they are very handy.

Cheers,
Nick

Nick, I will take a pic that may help. Stand By.
Cheers,
Sean

nickw said:
Yup, they are factory Toyota power mirrors. I think they were an option in Japan only, and a rare option at that.
I have the usual switch inside to control them.

They give me TONS of visibility and virtually remove all blind spots. When I am wheeling I can aim them down at my rockers so I can see when I am in danger of crunching something. Not only are they a cool OEM option, they are very handy.

Cheers,
Nick

You need to take another pics .. more detailed of those mirrors ..

Last edited:
Nick here are some pics with the tape. From the fender edge to the snorkle is 2" all the way along.
P1010267.JPG
P1010271.JPG
P1010273.JPG

and...

The tape in the second, third and last pic is pushed toward the windshield.
If you need more I can get em.

Cheers,
Sean
P1010272.JPG

It should work.

Looking at the pics of your truck and the mirror placement.

Nick,
Is the diesel’s air box penetration through the inner fender at the same location as the gas/petrol? The reason why I ask is this weeks ROTW “topend yobbo” diesel has the penetration though the outer fender further back, but it’s not a Safari Snorkel.
Scott

If I had to choose one or the other, I'd go with the mirrors. They make a giant difference when driving in city traffic. Especially if your ride is lifted.

You can always get a different brand snork. I have an AIRTEC on my 80 and it doesn't go anywhere near where the fender mounted mirrors would go. I theory the SAFARI would be superior as it has a corner less, but my AIRTEC seems to work well enough and after 3 years use and a few brushes with low branches is still securely mounted with no rattles or apparent leaks.

Kalawang

I don't think the mirror will be in the way, but that side marker light might need to go.

It's tough to tell from the pics.

thinking about this Nick .. you know the safari snorkel for 60 series are more " short " throught the fender than the 80 series .. maybe is a option ..

What a trip - I remember SOR selling those mirrors for 60's back in the mid '80s. Remember the " Hot Ticket " phrase. LOL Everything they had was a hot ticket.

NorCalDoug said:
I don't think the mirror will be in the way, but that side marker light might need to go.

It's tough to tell from the pics.

I think I will be okay with the side light.
Here is a pic of another one.
My main worry is the mirrors.
I looked at my truck last night and it looks like the mirors start around 21 inches down from where the hood starts. In Sean's pics it looks like I need more space.
I will measure tonight when I put my new starter in.

Cheers,
Nick

Here is the pic of the other truck:
vehicles001.JPG

Well, I measured my truck tonight. I don't know if its going to work. My truck mirror
starts at 21 inches, and it looks like Sean's snorkel does not end until 23.75 inches.

However looks like Sean's snorkel starts curving down at 21.5 inches, which is probably about 1/2 inch to late. Depending on where Sean measured from it could work. I measured from where the hood starts (not including the gap), and if he measured (including that gap), then there is an extra 1/4 inch (from the gap) which would make me only about 1/4 inch to short.

I thought if it was close I could heat up the PVC and push it back a bit. Just like you guys heat the PVC to make room for the antenna. But there is no way I could push it back more than 1/2 or 5/8 of an inch. What do you guys think? It is so close I might have to look at a snorkel in real life to be able to tell.

Cheers.
Nick

Here are the pics, including some of my mirrors (just for you Tapage)

snorkel_measure1.jpg

snorkel_measure2.jpg

snorkel_measure3.jpg

snorkel_measure4.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for all the dirt on my truck. It has been sitting outside for 1 week without being driven (starter went. See thread in international section if interested).

Also, can any of you guys guess what type of cruiser is parked in front of mine?

I know you don't want to hear this .. but snorkels are .. how do you say?

.. so 20th century! ;p

TY

A 55. Those look just like the 62 mirrors. I bet they do help a lot your rig is RHD correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom