March POTM: scottryana/Goebeler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased Ryan's fj55 some time back. I am in the process of going through the truck and finishing off what was left to be completed.
I am trying to get it done by spring in time to hit the trails. Ryan is out touch now. Guessing life has dragged him in a few other directions.
The truck is amazing thanks to his overall concept. I wish I could do the buildup justice, but know I can't. The thing is over the top when it comes to what he compiled. I am pretty excited to wrap it up and get a shake down run or two in.
Here is the site he created way back when. I'd love to give him a ton of credit for the 55. He deserves it. Hopefully this might get his attention and get him back online. I only met him once, spoke quite a few times, and have to say he is a great dude. I am going to finish the 55 and get him to join me on a wheelin trip....... in his old 55!

Enjoy his pics!

Goebs

1971 FJ55 Hooptie Project

I've seen a few pic's of this one before... Simply bad ass.

Now some pic's in the snow... pics in the rocks, pics in the dirt...

I'll get some updated pics soon. I am done with the engine compartment fit and finish. Some parts needed to be painted and installed. The hood is on and in need of some adjustable stops. It is a later model hood so the fit isn't as tight as I wanted it.

The doors are all adjusted except the drivers side. It needs a hinge rebuild on the top hing. The others close very nicely. The interior is coming along slowly. I am getting the rear seat covered to match the Procars so when that returns, it will go in. The center console is in question. I am going to go with a Tuffy but need to fab something up to make the shifter and the 4 wheel lever look finished.

The rear tailgate needs a bit of paint but is done for the most part. I need to find the track liner so when the window is down, it doesn't sit in the raw metal track on each side. Not sure where to find that yet..

The front locker is stuck locked for some reason. Not sure what's up with that yet.

I need to scoop up some 37's so I can finish the bump stops in the rear and adjust the Fox bump stops in the front.

So far time is the only problem. I need more time to work on it. It isn't at my place cause I am out of space til' it gets warmer.

Goebs

Bump bump for current pictures!

The hood is on and in need of some adjustable stops. It is a later model hood so the fit isn't as tight as I wanted it.

I need to find the track liner so when the window is down, it doesn't sit in the raw metal track on each side. Not sure where to find that yet..

Goebs

I might have the "track liner" as you call it in my stash. I also have an older model hood on my truck and I'd prefer the newer hood though I'm not sure how I'd go about swapping since my '55 is down here in Guatemala right now. Maybe if we end up driving it north I could swap it.

I'd be happy to pay you for the liner thing. PM me details and I'll get you some funds.

The hood is a later model due to clearance issues I believe. I think it is needed for the supercharger. I looked at it tonight while I was tinkering and it seems to be real close as it is. I like the look but just need to get it on some stops so it doesn't shake on the trail. I don't like rattles! That is why I need a killer stereo.

I tried to take pictures but the camera didn't work. Time for another. I hope to get some this weekend. I want to frame one up of the engine compartment alone.

Goebs

Geobler, do you have the hood bumpers along the sides of the fenders? They should take up any rattles.

Goebs..you might see post #s 9 & 10 on Eric Ellis's recent "weather strip question marksA" it might help you....the hood w/o those little bumpers is like a 1 inch steel bearing in a gal paint can ;) till you replace them:cheers:

Lou

I have the little four bumpers installed now. I still have quite a gap up front. Everything seems to be lined up fairly close. But I think I need more in the front. The rear is raised up on spacers at the hing but it's still lower then the front cowel up by the windshield. I don't need perfect fit, rather just don't want rattles.

I might have found some 37's for it. The thing should then be out of the garage for a quick beating prior to more final suspension dialing in.

I am trying to make a list of all the crap I now need to do. I keep bouncing around too much.

Just sold an old 930 so I might have the final funds needed to order most of the other crap I need. This might be an expensive but productive week!

Lou, nice 55! Great project. Love that rear cage......got me thinking..

Goebs

few pics of progress

I took a few shots of the cruiser in progress. I am doing all the detail crap that most likely wont show on the camera but I'll try.
engine.jpg
front apron.jpg
hood painted and all done.jpg

more

few more
emblem.jpg
mirror.jpg

hood gap issues

Check out the hood gap up front and the lower hood line up at the rear. The rear is lower by quite a bit with a spacer in there.
The front doesn't come close to the stock rubber bumps. I need the hood for clearance issues so I might have to go adjustable stops and raise the rear.

I found some 37's from a local guy so now I can get them picked up, installed on the rims and begin to wrap up the suspension. Spring is coming soon so I need to get this rolling ay!

Goebs
hood gap.jpg
rear hood gap.jpg

That hood doesn't look right at all. Has the hood suffered damage in the past?

Have you tried adjusting the hinges in a vise with a BFH??

I'd say the hood needs to go back further as well as up at the back. The front curve on the hood doesn't look right either (it doesn't follow the curve in the fender).

X2 with C_G something ain't right with the hood and the way it lines up; :hmm:it seems to be too high and too far forward and the gap is way excessive in the front .........:wrench:can you loosen the hinge screws and go backwards a bit?..........that might leave your front latch pin too far back to be secure ........need more pix looking closely at the rear hinge mounts and front pin.........:wrench:might have to think about more "spacer" beneath the rear hinges BUT that does not address the gap 'tween the hood and the "valance" front of the windshield!:hmm:

Lou

I can move it back but it is sitting l;ow so it hits in the rear when it is lifted. I will make some more spacers and try that to see where it lines up. It is almost like the front needs to drop but I see no place where there is room for adjustment.
Sure would be nice if there was a pig arouund to look closer at!

Beating the hinges up might work but I am afraid it will look like crap.

I know it is a later model hood, but I thought it would line up better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom