FJ43 ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'day all, I am currently rebuilding my 1968 fj45p and was told of a parts car that looked like mine and was going to be s****d so went to look and its a 1962 fj43 . I ended up draging it home on a trailer but now what to do, are they worth anything as ive never seen one here before. thanks. 005.jpg
005.jpg

Super cool find. Glad you saved it. Doesn't look too bad from the picture. My dream project is a 43 soft top (love that wheel base). If you can't find a use for it or buyer there, let me know. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would love to have it. Definitely worth saving either way.

Cheers,
Norm

Thanks for all your replies,i will keep it complete as it may be worth restoring to somebody. Do the doors look original as they are shorter than my fj45"s. Almost looks like fj25 door cut outs. hope this post is ok in the 45 section. thanks. warren .
003.jpg

Door opening looks different than anything I've seen. Would like to see some better detailed pictures. The doors appear to be from a later 4X series that have been cut off at the bottom. 1962 would have had bug catcher vent windows. These look to be the newer style. A FJ25 and early FJ40 soft top door would of had a angle up at the back of the door. These look like the standard hard top opening only shorter at the bottom. How is the windshield held up? In the US up until the 64 model the windshield used a stud on a bracket that was held down by a nut. The nut had to be removed to lower the windshield. The barn doors on the back open the other than the ones we got in the US. Are the supports in the tub forthe spare tire carrier on the left side. The reason I asked the license plate bracket mount on the right door is for one we didn't get until sometime in 1974 which makes me wonder if they were changed at some point. I think this may have had the ambulance style soft top doors originally. If this was mine it would be done as a original soft top with soft top door on front since they would be easy to cut down. Soft top ambulance doors in the back with OEM soft top bows.

Post pictures of the inside door openings, door hinges, windshield hold ups and the inside of the back doors. Does it still have the side shifter three side. It should have one that the shifters come out the right side. This is the only transmission I know of that had right and left hand drive models. From mid 63 the top plate was different but the housing was the same.

So many questions and yes it well worth restoring.

Here is a link to would was sold as a 63 tub but ended up being a 62. There are pictures of what a early FJ40 soft top tub door openings looked like. The windshield latch system had been changed to a later style. I will check my early FJ40 microfiche. I have 62 and 63. May cover the FJ43. Also what is the first number on the VIN on the frame. This will tell year of production.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj25-owners-group/231024-look-what-followed-me-home-weekend.html

Is that tape or fabric on the inside driver side sill?

It looks like the panel under the doors has been lifted and the doors have been shortned by the shape of their bottom. Worth keeping to restore.

It looks like the panel under the doors has been lifted and the doors have been shortned by the shape of their bottom. Worth keeping to restore.

I doubt the bottom panel has been lifted. It looks to be the same height as the FJ40 soft top model of the same year. Just not angled up at the back. Would like to see a better picture of the bottom of the doors. They are the bug catcher vent window type, correct for 62. I've seen both crank and slide up windows on 62s. Curious if the lower hinge fixed nuts in the door were added or there from the factory. The early soft top that hinge is higher than hard tops, while the top one is the same height. It was a soft top model since it has teh clamp for the bows in the back corner. The bracket is there for left side spare tire carrier. Here in the US we only had the left side carrier that wasn't tube style in 75/76 hard top models. The hardest part to find on those is the catch on the rear sill.

What does the back of the transfer case look like? The cover for the transmission tailshaft have four bolts and round tube (early)? Or does it have six bolts and tampered (later post mid 63)? Does the engine block number match the one on the VIN plate? Rear axle have the centered diff? Keep the pictures coming.

If you don't plan on restoring pass it on to someone who will.

Hi, some more pix,engine no. f430476 so does not match vin plate and it has the six bolt cover on t/case,also bottom of doors have been cut off then shortend but dont know about sills.
004.jpg
005.jpg
008.jpg

I believe your door sills are correct. Here in the US a Soft top model would have come with soft top doors. I know the 63 and earlier soft top FJ25 and FJ40 had soft top doors world wide since the opening was different. But after that most markets seem to get hard doors with the soft top. But because this FJ43 has a door opening unlike the FJ40 soft top or hard top it's hard to say. A picture of the door hinges from the outside so I can see what the front looks like. The soft top hinges were different. That doesn't mean they couldn't been changed. But if they are soft top hinges it probably came with soft top doors. The transfer case looks like 68 or newer. My very early 68 FJ40 had the smaller studs on the brake drum they changed shortly after that. These look to be the larger ones. See the two holes under the gas pedal? Those probably mounted the original gas pedal. It would have been a long skinny one. I have FSM and parts books that show it on the RHD models. Besides the driver's seat being wrong it looks like the passenger's side is from a 64 or newer compared to what we got in the US. The gas line run under the door sill looks scary. Does this run? Can it be driven on to a ship? I figure I could restore this with parts I have. Probably get it back to you in many twenty or thirty years.:rolleyes:

:cheers:
John

It should have had a centered diff in the rear axle but from the picture of the rear driveline it doesn't look like going to the center. But really can't tell. I think it has a three speed transmission from late sixties to early seventies. It not a single speed transfer case. Those would have been cast iron and were only in the FJ25. The four speed that was in the FJ25 was pretty small not much bigger than a three speed. First gear was 5:41 to 1 and syncros only in third and fourth gear. Without a special made adapter it would only mate to the one speed cast iron transfer case. The back of this transfer is a mid 63 thru 8/80. The cover for the transmission output shaft was from those years.

No centered rear diff, its a 3 speed. Does not run as its missing alternator and has been sitting for some time, yes fuel line runs under dash too (very scary). Some photos and one with standed 68 door. Warren.
001.jpg
003.jpg
004.jpg

I can see in the second picture where the holes were filled in on the door for original lower hinge.

Those are hard top hinges but looking at the last picture I see a bolt with a nut in the A pillar with the lower hinge behind it. Does that bolt go thru the hinge. If it does it may be because of a broken bolt or two in the A pillar when switching styles and this is how they fixed the problem. The only time I remove hinges is when changing between the two types. Or just removing when stripping them out a vehicles in a junk yard.:grinpimp: I really like the way the soft top doors come off but really hate to put the much weight on the soft top hinges with hard doors. They can bend back at the top and put the extra weight on the striker at the back of the door.

Oh and when you ship it over you can throw the box off the ute in the background over it to help keep the weather.:rolleyes:

:cheers:
John

The transfer case is most likely a '74; that would match the vintage of the rear doors [note the late-model licence plate holder mount]

Best

Mark A.

Thanks for all the info, yep that bolt does go through lower hinge. Will be keeping the 43 for reference until i finnish the 45 then ill pass it on to someone soon.:cheers: Warren.

engine no. f430476

Curious if this would also be a 74? How about the front doors? I notice the license bracket. I know that was mid year change in the US. Wonder did that change before the three speed switch to a four speed? Meaning it could have all come from the same vehicle? Since this was a 74 or newer barn doors and teh spare was on the left side originally this must have been imported for a lot of years. I would think this would be popular in the US for all the post 74 owners who would run these with the hard top off.

So your restoring a 68 FJ45. Does it have ribs in the dash like this 62 or flat with the two screw in bolt with knobs on the sides? Seems most markets got the flat dash but I have seen ribs dash on JDM in post 67 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom