Help save a virgin! Cut trans tunnel needed for FJ45 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

I am in need of a cut transmission tunnel for my FJ45 which is in the final stages of a 4 speed conversion. I currently have the original unmolested tunnel which I'd like to keep intact.

In the interest of saving such a rare piece of metal from the sawzall, I'd like to put out the call for one that has previously been modified to allow for a floor shifter. Years '63 to '67 will work. If you have one and are interested in selling, please PM me and help save a virgin!

Cheers,
FJ45 Dude

Just make a mold of it and make it in fiberglass.
You will need some mold release wax, some resin and some mating. Smooth out the existing tunnel, wax it, and put some resin on it. lay a few layers of mating on it, and let dry. If you want to make a few, cut and glass in some plywood stringers, if you only want to make one, use some spray foam and back it with a cardboard box. pull the metal one out, and wax again, and lay up another fiberglass one in the mold you made from the virgin one.

Make me one to. Serious, you could probably sell some if they turn out half decent cuz I would be interested.

The pre 73 FJ40 is too short I would get a tunnel cover from a 74-78 FJ40. The cover is a little longer but the holes will be in the right place for your shifters if your using a stock F/2F engine, four speed with the one piece transfer. The floor is a little different around where the vacuum shifter is but not too bad. The four speed tunnel cover is a little taller than the pre 73 cover giving you a little more clearance. The 73 and early 74 had a three speed so the shifter holes won't be right. I had planed on doing the 74/78 cover on my FJ45 but have decided to go with a A440F tranny with the split transfer so now I have to figure what I'm going to do.

John

The pre 73 FJ40 is too short I would get a tunnel cover from a 74-78 FJ40. The cover is a little longer but the holes will be in the right place for your shifters if your using a stock F/2F engine, four speed with the one piece transfer. The floor is a little different around where the vacuum shifter is but not too bad. The four speed tunnel cover is a little taller than the pre 73 cover giving you a little more clearance. The 73 and early 74 had a three speed so the shifter holes won't be right. I had planed on doing the 74/78 cover on my FJ45 but have decided to go with a A440F tranny with the split transfer so now I have to figure what I'm going to do.

John

John, it's been a VERY long time since I went down this road with the swb, but from what I remember, the 'steps' at the front of the tunnel [where it meets the footwell and floorboard] were different between the 74 up covers and the 45 tub. I had EVERY kind of tunnel cover available to me at the time I resto-ed the 45 [Earl Warden even sent me an uncut 40 cover] and in the end I ended up repairing the hacked 45 cover because nothing else would match the floor AND the span. Just my distant memory now.

Of course it was a lot easier to experiment on MY rig, since it had NO interior, wiring, heater, zilch when I was working this out.

John, it's been a VERY long time since I went down this road with the swb, but from what I remember, the 'steps' at the front of the tunnel [where it meets the footwell and floorboard] were different between the 74 up covers and the 45 tub. I had EVERY kind of tunnel cover available to me at the time I resto-ed the 45 [Earl Warden even sent me an uncut 40 cover] and in the end I ended up repairing the hacked 45 cover because nothing else would match the floor AND the span. Just my distant memory now.

Of course it was a lot easier to experiment on MY rig, since it had NO interior, wiring, heater, zilch when I was working this out.

I've brought my 45 back to the valley a couple of weeks ago but all my spare tunnel covers are still up north. My cover was cut in half to convert to the floor shifter by the PO:eek: I do have a uncut 45 cover that I picked up years ago. The cover to me looked the same as the pre 1973 40 except it where the 40 has a straight cut on the back the 45 run to the floor like the later 40s. Only thing was it is shorter. My truck is a 65 lwb and my spare cover was off the 65 lwb. I hope to make a quick trip up north this weekend, I'll have to grab them and compare. I've got them all stacked together and if I remember right the early 40 matches the 45 except for being shorter. I also have a friend who did use the later 40 cover on his 65 FJ45 (that's where I got my extra cover from) but his is a V8 auto conversion. I know he not using a FJ45 cover because I've got it. I'm not sure how this works with the gas tank since I picked that up too. I think he was using the 73-78 gas tank. To be honest with you my only concern with using the longer cover was having a space at the back that was covering some of the floor which could collect dirt and get wet, and we all know what happens when you have an area that can stay wet. Just look at the back corners of most 40s.:cheers:

John

bump for Mike...cause I'd like to finish this truck!

I did pick up my tunnel covers last weekend. The 64? thru 72 FJ40's cover looks to be the same as the FJ45 except for it's cut of at the back instead of running to the floor. It looks to me a small piece off the back of a 73-78 FJ40 cover could be used to make up that piece on the back. I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

John

I'm leaving town for a couple of days. I will post some on Tuesday. I didn't take any because I thought nobady was interested. Looks like a pretty straight forward to make one for two different years of FJ40 covers.

John

Three speed tranny humps

Here are a couple of pictures of some three speed tranny humps. The screw holes for the FJ45 LPB and FJ40 match. The 45 is off an 1965. While the two 40s are a 68 and 72. The 45 hump is just a little longer and the area around vacuum shifter. Nothing that can't be reformed.
IMG_2366.jpg
IMG_2369.jpg
IMG_2370.jpg

Four speed tranny humps

Here's the 65 FJ45 tranny hump compared to the 74-78 FJ40 tranny hump. The 40 hump will cover all the opening of the 65 FJ45 plus a little more. You will notice the 40 cover is taller than 45 cover, giving more clearance for taller transmissions. The only holes that match are the holes on the angled part and two above the vacuum shifter. New fixed nuts would have to be added on the flat part of the floor. Also the area above the vacuum shifter would have to be reworked to match.
IMG_2372.jpg
IMG_2374.jpg
IMG_2375.jpg

Three different FJ40 humps. The one on the right is from a 61-63. The center picture is of a 65-72, not sure which the 64 has but my guess is the 65 or later. The last is the 74-78. The 73 matches the floor pattern of the 74-78, just not sure if it's taller like the four speed.

Last two pictures are of the uncut FJ45 tranny hump.
IMG_2376.jpg
IMG_2378.jpg
IMG_2379.jpg

This is all very good information John. Thank you for taking the time to post all of this. I am sure a lot of 45 owners will benefit from this comparison.

Thanks Mark it was a tunnel cover I got from you back in 94 that I used to convert my 68 FJ40 to the later style. It gave me better clearance for my four speed.

I guess I have an advantage in that the 78 cowl I plan to use on my 45 came with enough of the floor that I can piece in the whole opening if I want a perfect fit:cheers:

John

Last edited:
Thanks John. You are a gentleman and scholar. That is quite a collection of tunnels you have there. Gives us a lot to go by.

Great thread!...good info. So...i am in need of a uncut hump for a 65 fj45 lpb...anyone? I have a mid 70s version in trade or partial trade. Let me know!...thanks

Great thread!...good info. So...i am in need of a uncut hump for a 65 fj45 lpb...anyone? I have a mid 70s version in trade or partial trade. Let me know!...thanks

Need anything else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom