Question on input shaft of H55F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey group,

I am not sure but I thought the input shaft on an H55F was different hooking up to a 3B than a 2F, does anyone know for sure if that is the case? Has anyone ever swapped the input shaft if that is the case?

Thanks,

Michael

Wayne,
Are the input shafts interchangeable with the H41 or H42 to an H55F?

I concure with Bruce,
i have not torn a H41 apart so i can not say but the H42 is different for sure...

Oh crap!!! I had a feeling they were different, oh well now I have conformation. So the H55f that Cool Cruisers and some other places sell for the 40 series gasser are they H55f's from gassers or do you think they are swapping input shafts?

Thanks a bunch,

Michael

tlcruiserman said:
So the H55f that Cool Cruisers and some other places sell for the 40 series gasser are they H55f's from gassers or do you think they are swapping input shafts?

I thought they were from HJ's... but I dunno what part # they use.

The H55F trannys sold for the 2F are different than the ones sold for the H and B series trucks. Not sdure of the psrt numbers, but I know CDan is knowledgeable on this.

I have no idea how much trouble it is to change them out. I will probably have to do this when I go Diesel, or go to a H150 or H151 if I go with the 1HD-T.

Never easy, but always rewarding.

Mike

as Bruce says the F and the H are interchangeable EXCEPT for the 1HZ, there ae a couple different part numbers, i am assuming this could be because of where the shifting towner is located on some trucks.
maybe
cheers

I acquired an H55F from a B series knowing that I would have to swap the input shaft to use the tranny behind a 2F. An opportunity came up to exchange this B shaft with an HZ shaft. Being an H-type shaft I assumed that it would be usable with the F engine. The HZ shaft may work by installing an appropriate clutch disc and slightly shimming between the bellhousing and tranny, but I'd rather have a straight bolt together job. Looks like I'm back to needing an HJ input shaft.

Anyone want to swap an HJ input shaft for an HZ input shaft?

Godwin said:
Anyone want to swap an HJ input shaft for an HZ input shaft?

Jim, how far off is your project? I'll trade you a 3F H55 input shaft, same as a 2H or 2F, for a 1HZ input, but I'll need a couple of years before I get to it.

(Different H55, Brett ;) )

Dave

There is one change in H55's in I believe 1985. The early models have an open input bearing (behind the "figure 8" bearing retainer). The later models use an orange OEM style bearing or black aftermarket (front 1/2 facing "figure 8" is sealed). Split case H41's USE THE SAME INPUT. H42's do not match (I had the tooth count commited to memory in a past life).

B series inputs are the longest, 21 spline
HZ are second, also 21 spline
HJ/FJ inputs are 10 spline and a bit shorter
..and the Bandierante is shortest 21 spline at I thought 6.25"- I do not know (nor really care) if the guts of this tranny is the same as Toyota's.

We have interchanged late gasser (2H) trannies with inputs from B and HZ's routinly. I have also discovered one customer who did fit a late input (gas) into an early H55. The job to replace the input is not hard, it does help to watch one done first (see one, do one, teach one). It is only about 15% or a tranny rebuild but does require pullers that can grab the counter shaft bearings (I have a $300 set of Snap On pullers with the jaws ground to fit). It is far easier to keep the pressed bearing on the input rather than pull it off and swap.

PM me and I will try to remember more if you have questions.

rick

crushers said:
as Bruce says the F and the H are interchangeable EXCEPT for the 1HZ, there ae a couple different part numbers, i am assuming this could be because of where the shifting towner is located on some trucks.
maybe
cheers

Are you saying that I can take the NEW H55F that is in my 2F powered 60, and just bolt it up to an 1HD-T (or any H series) engine??? Not according to SHeldon at G&H.

Have I got my facts wrong????

Mike

no, you are probably right but i am standing here looking at a HZJ H55f and a HJ H55F and other than the shaft itself they "look" identical.
now you have me very curious because i am sticking this tranny behind a PZ engine and i am curious if it fits.

i have stuck brand new H55F behind 2Fs and 3FEs in the past and they were a complete bolt up...
maybe i am missing what you are trying to tell me...
cheers

knowing that a 12 valve HD and the HZ share the same block casting, there is no argument that the HZ bellhousing will fit the HD right?

knowing that the H55 did come behind the HZ, using a HZ bellhousing on a HD block, you can put the two together.

275mm flywheel (HZ) could be used with HD but lifespan is ?

300mm flywheel and clutch system for HD is 14 spline center (only seen in H15X trannies).

magically, an isuzu clutch 300mm is available with 21 spline inner

(12 valve for sure) HD + HZ/H55 bellhousing + 300mm flywheel + HD PP + isuzu clutch + HZ H55 = running down the road.

I, as 98% of you on the board can buy a new 60450 2H transmission from Toyota and stick a HZ input shaft into it to make this tranny right.

BTW, ENS price on the HJ60 tranny was $4110 CDN a few years ago and the correct HZJ75 tranny was $6,500 CDN. Input shaft is under $300 and one gets a "FJ" input for free from the new tranny to resell....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom