3b in fj80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
geographical area known as canada, near ontario
hi, i was wondering if anyone has ever put a 3b in a fj80, and if so, where can i get some details. i know someone whos about to to this(in our backyard) and wondering if theres any special issues to be tackled...

a turbo is going in, ill push for the intercooler.
im not doing the job, just watching :)

Considering the 15B-FTE, which is a tricked out turbo 3B with a 16 valve head, is powering the 6400lb Mega Cruiser, I think it's possible.... with lots of time, skill and money.

buddy says its gonna have turbo+intercooler, for the price he got the 3b for , i guess its good enuf to go in... i told him hes crazy anyway

buddy says its gonna have turbo+intercooler, for the price he got the 3b for , i guess its good enuf to go in... i told him hes crazy anyway

Lost, I'd be interested in following your buddy's project. I have a diesel swap in my future, and a 1HD-T is out of my price range. I was thinking 3b (easy to find) or 2h (not so easy to find).

If a modified 3b turns out to be a suitable option then I'd go with that.

Living at sea level with nearly no highway driving certainly helps ;)

the 3b is in.
exhaust is "being custimized"
the guy who's doing is quick, engine was pulled on halloween

pics???
what are your power specs going to be with the turbo??

Thats pretty cool. What tranny? An A440, or H55 or something like that?

i didnt do this so i have no pics sorry, turbos / intercooler being added later. took 10 days to do the swap, buddy drove away as soon as it was done, no issues yet with reports of good mileage already

was 3b/h55

What!!?? I'm curious to hear what kind of mileage, what gearing, tires, hp estimates, etc. This is pretty cool. :)>

okay, i wheeled with this truck this past weekend and i can tell you that 3B powers the 80 nicely over all the mud and hills we tackled. 3B, H55F, 2 piece t/case... that bloody thing rocked on the trail.

not bad for a mall buggy.

Based on his 650k to a tank I figured that at 400 miles and 22 gallons (guessing he'd not keep driving beyond that 22gallon mark) I get 18.3MPG. Nice, but in the scheme of things not enough to turn my head. It's 15mpg for my stock gasser truck. He says he can hold 110k/hr which is around 70mph. I can hold 90 in an emergency and 70's not even straining and I can pull a 6000lb boat trailer at 70 all day long.

With diesel fuel typically 30% more, the added MPG is meaningless. Add in the lack of power, the difficulty in getting parts, the noise, vibration and smell and I honestly don't see the value unless someone simply wants unique.

So, you end up paying good money for a car that, compared to the pre-modification vehicle is slower, noisier, more expensive to operate, smellier, tows less and is more difficult to find parts for. Meh...

My previous truck was a BJ60 with the 3B. Honestly I much prefer my 80 series gas sucking truck that I own today. Off road the 3B was very cool (like a tractor in the bush) but on the highway it was a total drag. Just trying to pass other cars was a major planning exersize to get the timing just right.

The 1FZ engine is a very nice motor, leave it alone.

well, it is not my truck and i seldom install 3Bs into anything these days but:
diesel is seldom more expensive than gas. $0.84 vs $0.99 right now.
diesel takes less maitainence to keep on the road
a turbo will make that truck come alive for highway
the 3B rocks off road

this truck is not for everyone, this is for someone that wanted to think outside the box, and it works well, very well.

so if you have an old BJ60 and a pre 93 POS 3FE 80 series then this is an excellent swap.

Weight an issue??

I agree with crushers on this. By looking at the numbers

80 series - 1995kg - 4398lbs
60 series - 1895kg - 4178lbs

Looks like the difference is only 220lbs. With me driving a 60 it would weigh as much as an 80, right? Not to mention any gear plus family. I don't think weight is an issue. I don't know why the 80 series is seen as this heavy road monster. All cruisers were built solid for a purpose. I am actually thinking of going the 3B/H55 80 series route myself. Originally bought the BJ60 from a guy because his son didn't want it because it was too slow. Makes 70/75 easily on the highway. I like to look around while driving so slow is OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom