Cool oil pressure guage fitting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If this is not as new as I think it is, pardon my excitement.

I am installing a mechanical oil pressure gauge in my 60 but wanted to also keep my factory gauge. Read about some people using tee fittings with the stock sending unit on one end and the line to the mechanical gauge on the other. Concerned about having room I went onto that danged interweb and found this:

Sorry for the fuzzy picture

photo124-L.jpg

I had not seen this before but it has a male 1/8 BSP fitting on one end so it threads right into the engine. Has a female 1/8 bsp fitting on the other end for the factory sending unit.

In the middle it has two 1/8 NPT female fittings that will work with the new oil pressure gauge.

I had bought a 1/8 NPT plug because I knew i was only using one of the fittings but lo and behold the part came with one.

Pretty cool and makes for a clean install:

photo123-M.jpg

Here's a mock-up with the old sending unit attached. Lots of room.

photo122-M.jpg

photo121-M.jpg

If anyone wants to know where it came from I will post it up. Just didn't want to people to think I'm spamming. Just passing along a cool discovery.

As requested below, here is a link to the part. It is offered by Stealthmode Performance. Not in Houston, it's in Minnesota!

stealthmode//performance

Last edited:
1/8 BSP. THAT's why the NPT fitting won't go in... 28 tpi, but just a bit too small (the BSP) to work.

Amusingly, Mitsu and Nissan use the same size, so I brazed something up out of a
bit that was left from a Mitsu swap a while back.

Made a heck of a mess on the floor while I was scrounging around for
the right parts, tho...

t

Ordered. Thanks.

Cool idea. But I'd hate to have something that long sticking out. Just asking for it to snap off. For less than 20 dollars you could drill and tap one or both of the oil cooler bolts.

Last edited:
That's a tidy solution right there. Thanks for sharing it.

Cool idea. But I'd hate to have something that long sticking out. Just asking for it to snap off. For less than 20 dollars you could drill and tap one or both of the oil cooler bolts.

Now that is something I had not considered. Are you talking about one of the large (24mm?) banjo bolts that holds the cooler to the oil filter bracket?

Totally forgot the early oil cooler setups had the hole already? Jim wouldn't those have the BSP threads and you would have to use an adapter.

If you drilled an tapped you wouldn't have to worry about an adapter.

The BSP thread is slightly smaller than NPT. A NPT tap run into the BSP hole one more turn will allow the US std NPT oil sender to fit. Without tapping the BSP hole slightly larger, the US fitting will only go in a couple of turns: good enough for diagnostic use, but not safe for permanent install.

Yes, the big banjo bolt is the location for the OPSU in earlier years. Get 2 of the tapped banjo bolts, and have 3 oil press or temp locations.

Now that is a solution there. Had no idea that was possible so thanks Trollhole and Jim for fleshing it out. I mean, I like my fancy adapter but this is a cleaner install.

Question though: When buying the proper tap do I need to look for specific size. I think i have seen a 1/8 npt - 27 or an 1/8 npt - 18. Seems like there are some choices here?

Last edited:
oops, that's my bad- npt 1/8 is 27 tpi, not 28. Sorry.

Jim, I tried half a dozen 1/8 nipples I had around and got exactly none to
start. Eventually I'll run it out a bit with a tap, but for now, the homemade
adaptor does the deal.

t

Toyota uses 1/8-28BSP threads.

Most stuff in USA uses 1/8-27NPT threads.

Thanks, Jim. Did a little searching and for those who need it - like me - here is a nice little overview of pipe threads:

Threads

Adapter ordered! Thanks to the OP for sharing. Banjo Bolt idea is a good solution too if you have the oil cooler.

I just played this game. Found that if you run a pipe die on the male NPT thread it will go into the BPS in the block deep enough to hold for a permannent install. This avoids residue from a tap running into an oil passage.

But I probably would have installed the adapter that already had the BPS threads if it was readily available in my neck of the woods (meaning, on the shelf)

Just used locktite 545 to be sure. No leaks. The cheesy plastic oil line of my gauge gives me more concern that the fitting.

Tony

Received the adapter yesterday and the pix are deceptive: Adpt is smaller than it appears above and fits perfectly. Also, not shown, it has 3 ports, and comes with an allen plug if you don't use one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom