Builds "It's Huge" New SOA (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiserdrew

On the way there
Threads
I just had to share a few pictures. I've been planning a SOA for a long time on my 60 and have been saving parts and pieces. I had the last 4 days off work and figured WTH, and did a spring over. Of course it isn't complete-it needs brake lines, rear shocks, a bit of final welding, but here is 4 days of progress. More details when I get it fully complete and my ROTW comes up. (I backed out of my ROTW spot since I was planning this.

Comparison is a fully stock 1989 FJ62 and it's still sitting on the 33 inch tires it was on before I started.

Can anyone post up approximate lengths of front and rear frame to axle brake lines and shocks you used in the rear.
SOA1.jpg
SOA2.jpg
SOA3.jpg

God I love Blue cruisers :D

Six shooters?

Six shooters?

Yes. I also have a set of 6 stud knuckle makers from Luke Porter-a very clever solution if you don't want to run stuff from TG. I thought the 6 shooters set up very well and all of the machining and threading was right on.

More Pics! Wow, having a side by side comparison makes it look like a different vehicle.

Six shooters are aftermarket knuckles sold By Trail gear. Instead of 4 bolts holding on the steering arm, there are six.

they are universal (side to side) so they put the brake caliper ears on both sides of the knuckle.

Not suprised they went on that well, they were designed by a great man ;)

The six shooters from trail gear specify needing an IFS steering box. Cruiserdrew, did you switch out the steering box to use these? Why go to all this effort? How many people break parts that the six shooters replace?

What are six shooters?

You see Randy, there is a bit of controversy about these knuckles, because Marlin designed them, then TG split off from Marlin and brought these to market. Kind of a rip off of a great idea. Believe me, if Marlin had been selling them when I was ready, I would have bought from him. In this case TG was great to deal with, but I am uneasy about the politics of the whole thing.

I decided to run them way back when I was doing my 40 SOA, but then was concerned that supposedly the knuckles did not set up well and that the machining was off. I did not find that to be the case and using the Toyota SST, they set up as well as any other Toyota knuckle. You do need to be careful inserting the lower caliper bolt on one side-access is blocked by the casting that holds the limit stop.

The six shooters from trail gear specify needing an IFS steering box. Cruiserdrew, did you switch out the steering box to use these? Why go to all this effort? How many people break parts that the six shooters replace?

What?

I'm using the stock FJ60 steering box, the stock pittman arm. 4x4 Labs steering arms, tierod and drag link with GM 1 ton ends. Luke re-cut the taper in the pittman arm to hold the 1 ton ends. You could also use 80 series ends, but the 1 ton stuff is really nice and has worked well on my FJ40, so I just went with what I know.

I have seen many, many knuckle studs broken over the years which results in a sucky ruined trip, unless someone has a spare knuckle. With 6 studs, the top of the arm is clamped to the knuckle with 50% more force and there is way more resistance to loosening and breaking.

Last edited:
DAMN that's a good looking truck.

Did you use a 62 housing? I see the axle gusset on the bottom. C&T or no?

Did you use a 62 housing? I see the axle gusset on the bottom. C&T or no?

Yep-FJ62 housing. Good eye for that.

Affirmative to cut and turn as well. The pinion angle came out so perfectly that I think I could run that front shaft at 75 mph without vibes.

Awesome, looks great! Welcome to the Dark Side. :skull:

How about hydro-assist?

Where did you get the simple looking U-bolt/Spring plates?
I want to change mine when I replace my bent axle housing. (my integrated bump stop got smashed :eek:)

Hijack- the local FJ60 axle housing I was after is gone, so I'm still looking for one. (Too fast in the whoops at Surf N Turf bent mine.) Obviously, a 62 housing is preferred, but I'm not picky. Central Cali is best.

Awesome, looks great! Welcome to the Dark Side. :skull:

How about hydro-assist?

Where did you get the simple looking U-bolt/Spring plates?
I want to change mine when I replace my bent axle housing. (my integrated bump stop got smashed :eek:)

Hijack- the local FJ60 axle housing I was after is gone, so I'm still looking for one. (Too fast in the whoops at Surf N Turf bent mine.) Obviously, a 62 housing is preferred, but I'm not picky. Central Cali is best.

I got the spring plates and the u-bolts from Ruffstuff. Note they require 5/8 u-bolts not 1/2 or 9/16. Let me know if you want them and I can go over there and pick them up for you. The u-bolts are the really nice USA made ones with the tall nuts. Not the cheap China ones from Napa.

I can hook you up with an FJ60 or FJ62 housing. The 62 housing has external rust and needs to be blasted. The Fj60 housing is nice and could be used as is. Your choice.

Been wanting to SOA my 60. Just need time and some extra dinero.

Did you gusset the axle for a reason or personal preference? Just wondering.

Howdy! Looks really good. Is the pitman arm going to interfere with the spring compression on hard left turns? John

Been wanting to SOA my 60. Just need time and some extra dinero.

Did you gusset the axle for a reason or personal preference? Just wondering.

The FJ62 axles come from the factory with that extra lower gusset. To be honest, I did not spend a ton of $$ on this, just used a bunch of parts I had around. I do have some places to spend $$-rear shocks, brake lines, etc. I have not decided if I will pull the Longfields out of my 40, or get this truck it's own set. I also need lockers for this truck and a Toybox.

Howdy! Looks really good. Is the pitman arm going to interfere with the spring compression on hard left turns? John

Don't know yet. Once it's fully done, it will be time to flex it and set the bump stops etc. I have a similar set up on my FJ40 and have no issues with contact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom