3FE - How To Set Idle Screw? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PabloCruise

SILVER Star
Threads
I have a 3FE that has been transplanted into a 1974 FJ55

This has been a rough process, but things are getting better.

The idle is not consistent. When I first fire it up, everything idles fine. Not too long after initial start-up from cold thought, the idle deteriorates.

I have replaced cap, rotor, wires and plugs (NGK) and set timing.

The Pig has one o2 sensor that I just replaced.

At one point, someone tried to smooth my idle by adjusting the big screw housed near the throttle plate. Now I would like to confirm that the screw is set correctly.

Can anyone educate me as to how to set this?

Pablo,

Have you done a search on the 3FE yahoo group? Lots of great folks there and great info.

When I set the timing on my 3FE's I turn the "Golden Screw" all the way closed, then turn it about half a turn. Then I set my timing using my light. After that I usally adjust the timing a little more just buy feel. If I need any more adjustment I'll adjust the screw.

If you search on ih8mud for "Golden Screw" I bet you will find lots of info.

-Mark

Also - make sure you stick a paper clip in the E1 to the T1 to short the timing. If not..you timing will not be set right. This might be your problem, be cause once the engine warms up, then it kicks back down, but maybe it was never set right to begin with?

Pablo,

Have you done a search on the 3FE yahoo group? Lots of great folks there and great info.

When I set the timing on my 3FE's I turn the "Golden Screw" all the way closed, then turn it about half a turn. Then I set my timing using my light. After that I usally adjust the timing a little more just buy feel. If I need any more adjustment I'll adjust the screw.

If you search on ih8mud for "Golden Screw" I bet you will find lots of info.

-Mark

I forgot about that yahoo group - I will go check it out...

I will search "Golden Screw" Up until now I thought that was corporate-speak! :D

What do you mean, "If I need any more adjustment, I'll adjust the screw"?

Also - make sure you stick a paper clip in the E1 to the T1 to short the timing. If not..you timing will not be set right. This might be your problem, be cause once the engine warms up, then it kicks back down, but maybe it was never set right to begin with?

I did do this, thanks to other posts here on MUD.

The timing was way off. She ran MUCH better after setting the timing. My guess is that the last person to set timing forgot about this.

Or the last person to touch it was a hack.

It sounds like your on the right path..any updates?

What I meant by "Any more adjustments" is that I use the Golden Screw to make fine minor adjustment - instead of messing with the timing. On my FJ40, I also have a 3FE engine, and that truck is stick s*** - so sometimes I turn the golden screw so it bumps up the idle, so it's a bit easier to drive out of first gear.

-Mark

It sounds like your on the right path..any updates?

What I meant by "Any more adjustments" is that I use the Golden Screw to make fine minor adjustment - instead of messing with the timing. On my FJ40, I also have a 3FE engine, and that truck is stick s*** - so sometimes I turn the golden screw so it bumps up the idle, so it's a bit easier to drive out of first gear.

-Mark

No updates, haven't baan able to tinker with her during the week.

Fine minor adjustments - are you setting things for max vacuum at idle?

"stick s***" - is this slang for how your 40 runs (not sure if this means good or bad) or do you mean shift, as in manual transmixer?

Can someone explain how the "golden screw" adjustment works? And by works I mean how does it actually increase idle rpm.

Here is my understanding - the 3FE ECU is programmed to use the IAC to keep the idle rpms at 650 (unless the A/C compressor is engaged). If you adjust the golden screw such that the throttle plate is open more the ECU should compensate by closing the plunger in the IAC.

I've tried adjusting the golden screw before and on my 3FE I don't see any change in idle rpm at all. How much can you guys increase your idle rpms using the golden screw?

Can someone explain how the "golden screw" adjustment works? And by works I mean how does it actually increase idle rpm.

Here is my understanding - the 3FE ECU is programmed to use the IAC to keep the idle rpms at 650 (unless the A/C compressor is engaged). If you adjust the golden screw such that the throttle plate is open more the ECU should compensate by closing the plunger in the IAC.

I've tried adjusting the golden screw before and on my 3FE I don't see any change in idle rpm at all. How much can you guys increase your idle rpms using the golden screw?

Yeah, what he said!

Can y'all edumacate a 3FE newbie?

Do you have a 3FE Toyota manual?

IMG_0003-4.jpg

Maybe a bit small pm me if you want a full size email and the other 3 pages for setting idle and timing.

Mace actually has a copy of the complete Factory manual on CD that I sent him for the 3FE engine.

Last edited:
So I do have a 1991 80 series manual. I looked through the EFI section but did not find any info on that screw.

I believe my 3FE to be pre-'91, but the FSM came with the vehicle. My wires running to the injectors are black w/ blue strip if that helps anyone tell me what year 3FE this is.

I would like to get the CD or an FTP from Mace. Do you know what year manual he has?

Mine is August 1988 which Mace has a copy on CD. Can't see anything in my manual either maybe a factory preset.

It may effect emissions at idle rather than change the idle speed which I would have thought the ECU will re adjust to compensate any screw adjustment.

More like adjusting the mixture at idle.

Can't see anything in my manual either maybe a factory preset.

It may effect emissions at idle rather than change the idle speed which I would have thought the ECU will re adjust to compensate any screw adjustment.

I do think it's a factory preset.
It's been debated for years and no one can find a proper answer. That is why most people just set it at a quarter turn or so from the totally bottomed out position - or all the way in. Which I think is clockwise?

Mine is August 1988 which Mace has a copy on CD. Can't see anything in my manual either maybe a factory preset.

I have '89 FSM and it has no mention of this screw being an adjustment point for idle rpm or any mention in the EFI section that I can find. I looked for this some time ago when I first heard the term golden screw.

I'm not saying that it doesn't work I'm just wondering what folks actually see change as result of adjusting this screw.

Do you have a 3FE Toyota manual?

IMG_0003-4.jpg

Maybe a bit small pm me if you want a full size email and the other 3 pages for setting idle and timing.

Mace actually has a copy of the complete Factory manual on CD that I sent him for the 3FE engine.

Got this - thank you!

I saw that your 88 manual put this under engine mechanical, not EFI section

Yeah, what he said!

Can y'all edumacate a 3FE newbie?

The ISC is a 125 position step controller that under most conditions is capable of maintaining a 650 rpm idle speed on the 3FE. The Golden Screw is a fine tuning adjustment that works in parallel with the ISC. For grins, why not just gently tighten, clockwise, the scew and see what it does for your engine's idle #. Give the ECU a couple of days to sort the feedback and the idle will be at or near the recommended 650 rpm, I'm guessing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom