Fj80 axle/coil swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EarthX

Owner of Earth Exploration Technologies
Threads
Well i guess I should finally post up some pictures of my fj80 axle/coil suspension swap. Everything is going strightforward, just slow to to lack of time. Enjoy:

Last edited:
I can resize and host them...info at kavikoffroad dot com

here they are.
Coil Conversion 0.jpg
Coil Conversion 1-1.jpg
Coil Conversion 1.jpg

Last edited:
Ill be finishing up the steering today and will post more pictures of that.

Sweet, can't wait to see how it turns out. I was thinking of doing this in a few years.

What size springs are you using? What size tires are you planning on running?

:beer:

I was also thinking about doing this in the not so near future. One thing I noticed when wheeling with 80s is that they have to be careful not to drop the truck on the control arms when rockcrawling. With a SOA 60 though, the springs are generally high enough out of the way to not be an issue.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this build! I don't think I've seen this done in recent years.

Awesome idea. I loved your truck before. Now you had better get a restraining order! Give some details on the build when you have a moment (i.e.- did you build your own spring/ link mounts, using stock 80 springs with spring mounts welded to achieve desired lift, part time kit on the front axle?, etc.).

Thanks Man.

Awesome idea. I loved your truck before. Now you had better get a restraining order! Give some details on the build when you have a moment (i.e.- did you build your own spring/ link mounts, using stock 80 springs with spring mounts welded to achieve desired lift, part time kit on the front axle?, etc.).

Thanks Man.

Lol, i guess lucky for me your not living anywhere close to me.

Anyways, all of my link mounts I got from sniperfab.com. Very nice guys. I had them make me custom sizes that fit the front radius arms. The spring buckets I ended up cutting off the fzj80 frame, which by the way was a total pain in the arse. I also managed to get the panhard mount of the frame as well. Ill get pictures of all this stuff when I get a chance. About the springs, the ones pictured are stock, but Im setting it up to run about a 2" to 2.5" lift spring. That will give me enough rome for 35" tires. The hubs that Im running came off my fj60, I did have to machine a new groove into the splines on the 80. Its been done before. Someone here on mud did a writeup of that.

The rear is another story, Im triangulating the links to get rid of the panhard and also making them much longer, Ill document that when i get to it.
Ill try and stay a bit more up to date on the build.:cheers:

The 80 FA is a Full Float with a Front E-locker correct?

Man, why don't you see more of these!

FYI, 60 front axles are full floaters as well.

That's right, i remembered right after i wrote it.

So the other nice thing is the Coils offer more travel than say a Sprung under leafed 60 set up, right?

That's the theory. I gotta say that 80's flex pretty damn well with a basic OME setup. I'd get one, but too many electronics and automatic thing-a-ma-gigs for me.

Looking forward to this build!

Properly damped, coils will provide a better ride quality.

Compared to a SUA, up travel wouldn't change or change very much (potential minor bracketry issues), given equal ride heights.

Until your thread I had been planning some sort of coil sprung front end project for after the engine swap project. I was thinking to fabricate the radius arms, but now I think I'll start looking for some 80 series arms. I plan to keep the 60's front axle (unless a 80 donor drops in my lap!), but it doesn't look like a huge deal to design some brackets and have them cut out by my local laser/plasma guy.
Coil-overs would be easy, but I know that they need a periodic rebuild and require the use of spherical bearings, which I'm not too fond of in an off roader.

Any thoughts on which dampers you plan to use?

IMOP for a non radical 60 build the standard coils do the job perfect .. much more than coil-overs .. did you plan to run a sway bar .. keep the 60 series or build a braket for the 80 series sway bar ..

The prime advantage that I see in using a coil-over is that you're not locked into what ever is made for the vehicle that donated the springs to the project. There is a large range of spring rates possible using coil-over springs, even more so if you go with a slider & two shorter springs.
I have seen comp buggies built to use a coil-over's spring without using the coil-over itself. That might be the route that I eventually take, build mounts to use just the c/o springs.

This is my motivation!

My primary motivation as well, besides the factory lockers.:D

Today i got the steering and panhard bar all worked out. I pulled the steering box from the 80 since it needed to be relocated forward of the original mounts anyway. I drilled new holes then welded in some nice thick sleeves so it should be plenty strong. I was also able to use my draglink and tie rod from my 60 which I had upgraded with the hysteer, so that was lucky.
About the sway bar, not sure. Ill first get it on the road to see how it drives then consider which bar would be best(80, 60, or maybe an antirock deal?)
Ill be reusing the shocks which I had on the 60. Edlebrock extreme travel with remote reservoir. Ill need to modify the stock 80 shock mounts for them to fit.

Now, lets see if I can get some pictures up.....
#1.jpg
#2.jpg
#3.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom