Lurker finds his own Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.davidmichelle.org
I've been lurking on 'Mud for over a year, and have run the gamut of what kind of Cruiser to call my own. Well, after some deliberation and study, I finally scored my very own, full-size Land Cruiser at the beginning of the month. It's an awesome truck, and I think I scored a killer deal. I can't wait to begin tinkering with it. Anyway, here's what I know so far...

1987 FJ60
201,xxx miles
rebuilt transfer case, new radiator, water pump, t-stat neck, brand new Toyota carb, recently rebuilt knuckles
OME 3" Dakar lift (med front, heavy rear)
33x10.50R15 BFG All-Terrains on stock rims
Yakima racks w/ Bicycle trays
Stock interior minus Pioneer stereo/speakers
All Toyota FSMs and a Haynes
2 folders full of receipts, work done mostly at ATL toyota dealer (can't remember name) and Urban Land Cruisers
MINIMAL RUST!!! small amounts on gutter edge and a small spot on the pass side wheelwell FRAME is excellent, rockers and quarters as well.

Some things that need attention (nit picky):
transfer case too full, leaks, 4WD light doesn't work
carb needs adjusted (harder to crank than expected 4-5 pumps cold)
EGR related stutter
Fuel gauge intermitten
Dashpad cracked from failed stereo theft
low idle knock (don't think it's in the bottom end, but got to find it...)

Overall I think it's going to serve me well as a tailgating, fishing, camping, wheeling rig. I'm excited :bounce:, and can't wait to show it off and take it wheeling.

Now time for those pics I've been promising...
IMG_2099.JPG

IMG_2101.JPG

IMG_2102.JPG

IMG_2103.JPG

IMG_2106.JPG

First off...

First off, Welcome :flipoff2:

That's a nice 60 and 87's are very desireable.

Looks real nice, when reading your post a couple things popped into my head. Transfercase too full? There is a seal that when corrupted will flow tranny oil into the transfercase thereby draining the tranny and overfilling the TC (IIRC) so they make a kit that basically returns the oil to the tranny. It may not be the case with yours but check it out. And make sure the front diff is actually engaging not just the dashlight for 4x4 not working.

Once again, good to see a lurker jump in the fray!

Welcome! The oil bypass kit that Trapper50Cal refers to works when the leak goes the other way (fluild from the transfer case is pumped up into the transmission. It's a hose that connects the transmisstion fill plug with the transfer case fill plug. When fluid is pumped from the trasnfer case into the transmission, the transmission overflows and the fluid goes back down the tube into the trasnfer case. I don't know that it works the other way, as the transfer case fill plug is physically lower than the transmission case fill plug. If the transmission is low on fluid, fill it up and keep you eyes on it. If the leak continues, you may have to replace the seal between the transmission and the transfer case.

Thanks for the welcome and info guys. Just another reason that I chose to go LC instead of j**p. I need to check the tranny fluid, haven't gotten there yet. Should do that soon. Also, I know that the front axle is engaged, as it will leave spots in the terrain when in 4WD.

Ahhh

Welcome! The oil bypass kit that Trapper50Cal refers to works when the leak goes the other way (fluild from the transfer case is pumped up into the transmission. It's a hose that connects the transmisstion fill plug with the transfer case fill plug. When fluid is pumped from the trasnfer case into the transmission, the transmission overflows and the fluid goes back down the tube into the trasnfer case. I don't know that it works the other way, as the transfer case fill plug is physically lower than the transmission case fill plug. If the transmission is low on fluid, fill it up and keep you eyes on it. If the leak continues, you may have to replace the seal between the transmission and the transfer case.

I thought I had that backwards....:doh:

Nice score Carp!
Saw that one on the Atl craigslist listings a while back.............if I remember coreectly the price was right!

So, I checked the transmission fluild tonight, and there was very little left in the transmission. So, I guess it's time to pull the tranny/tcase combo. Is there a short term fix, short of dumping more 90W in the transmission? Will running the tcase overfull hurt anything? I think that doing this could hurt the tcase seals on the output shafts, is this true? Basically, I don't want to park the truck until I can get the internal seal fixed. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the welcomes everybody, it's good to be in here and hopefully contributing soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom