Turning the Snow Cruiser into a Snow Bruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First of all I want to say thanks to this board for all the information I have found over the last six months for this build up!.

I am the proud new owner of a 1987 FJ60. Although this is my first Land Cruiser I have owned 8 different Toyota's. Plans for the Snow Cruiser are underway as I just drove it to RT Customs and left it with Randy!. Driving 1425 miles will be well worth it!.
Plans so far are as follows:

-6.0 Vortec Conversion w/ H55 Tranny
-SOA with Rock Ram Steering/ Saginaw Box/ 4x4 Labs Steering
-35 x 12.50 MTR's
-Lockers FR/RR with 4.56's
-Downey Rear Disc Brakes

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I am new to Land Cruisers. Oh yeah, I apologize in advance for the PO putting Chevy mirrors on the Cruiser. Trust me, they will be gone shortly!. Thanks Mark

Last edited:
That's got to cost you north of $25,000!

Peter

First off I would like to say that Snow Cruiser is now my Most traveled for a conversion record holder. A Great guy and wish we had more time to go over cruisers. Next time though, How it started....He e mailed me one day a few months ago and asked if I could pull off a Ca. smog legal 6.0 since it already had the 5.7(which runs great) No problem I say. Then comes the IF YOUR GOING BIG, JUST DO IT. Although I did forget to mention the only thing not on this build list is a CHARGER :D I will post all of the pre-build pics in the morning. I left my camera on and killed the batteries. :bang: DOOH!! So guys/gals kick back and watch the build as I think this is going to be one of those that we can't look away from. :bounce:

The Snow Cruiser Pre build

Really clean truck with a sweet looking interior. The engine that is in there was done nice and clean. To bad it wasn't a 6.0. If anyone out there is interested it will be up in the for sale section soon.
snow1.JPG
snow2.JPG
snow3.JPG

Hey Snow Cruiser, I'm in Costa Mesa as well and I have Tan 87 that I just brought up from La Paz. Would love to see your cruiser when it's back on this coast.

Really clean truck with a sweet looking interior. The engine that is in there was done nice and clean. To bad it wasn't a 6.0.

The 6.0 Liter Chevy is not a great design, you have a much better engine. There have been numerous GM technical bulletins for problems with the 6.0. The 6.2 Caddy engine is nicer though...

Granted it does have TSB posted to it. But what engine doesn't?? I would like the 6.2 engine from a caddy. But that is some big money for a near new engine. The 6.0 will mate up to the AA adapters and they have a flywheel set up through Downey. If you go for any thing other than that you have to retain the stock drivetrain. Plus the 6.0 came with a 5 speed option.

Granted it does have TSB posted to it. But what engine doesn't?? I would like the 6.2 engine from a caddy. But that is some big money for a near new engine. The 6.0 will mate up to the AA adapters and they have a flywheel set up through Downey. If you go for any thing other than that you have to retain the stock drivetrain. Plus the 6.0 came with a 5 speed option.

Piston slap is a big enough deterrent for me to stay the hell away. Not like an injector problem or manifold problem.

Piston slap is a big enough deterrent for me to stay the hell away. Not like an injector problem or manifold problem.

many many 2f's have piston slap....

it'll run great. do it! lets just see if i can get mine supercharged first!!

Update

Well the truck is down in Austin at the moment getting the cut and turn and the SOA by JK Customs. I needed to get that out of the way and didn't have time to do it myself so I know Jason will take good care of it. I got a call from my favorite engine supplier this morning @ 08:00 telling me the new lot came in so I FLEW over there to get first pic and I found a good one! 04 Chevy 3/4 ton with 39K on it. Here are the pics as it sat in the truck. Sorry I took the pic's with my camera phone. But you get the idea. So next week I will be tearing apart a 6.0!!! OH and Dirty Toad got an engine too!!! See him on Tues.
60 engine.JPG
60 eng2.JPG
60eng3.JPG

Update

Well I have the Snow Cruiser down south @ JK Customs of Austin, performing the spring over. Since I am falling behind with the work here, Jason was the go to guy. He does great work and the cut and turn is easier for him to perform. We are using the RuffStuff SOA kit. Also a 4X4 labs HySteer kit. Jason called right now and told me the front end is down. So we have some progress. Dan @ RuffStuff graciously provided me another kit after I realized I had not recieved it. That is what you call CUSTOMER SERVICE! All I will need to do now is get some extended brake lines and shocks once Jason gets me some measurments and the cruiser will be half way to a BRUISER! :bounce:

What's the damage on this setup?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom