Another cruiser gets a vortec (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I made the leap and took my Florida FJ62 to Texas this week. She's getting a vortec transformation alla "Iaintscared1969". If any of you missed the thread: MrZero divorces 2F for Vortec mistress , you should check it out.
I've been trying to decide whether to rebuild my engine and replace all the other 20 year old items that might leave me stranded someday or go with a more modern and muscular package. After going thru most of the threads here, I stumbled onto the work displayed in the thread I mentioned above. That put me on a course that involved 1400 miles on the road to Texas, a rather substantial commitment, both financially and othewise and it introduced me to the individual that's doing the tranformation.
I know the purist out there don't agree and I understand their perspective, these straight-sixes may be slow, but they do get you there. I happen to like the work this "Vortec Junkie" does and I also feel the weak point of these trucks is their lack of HP. I could have found someone closer to do a simpler V-8 conversion, but seeing his work on MrZero's "Mistress" convinced me to hit the road. I might be crazy but follow this thread as "Iaintscared1969" shows his progress on this loyal but underpowered FJ62.

Last edited:
Oh boyohboyohboy !! I love Vortec swaps!!

[pops popcorn, opens cold Pepsi)

I'm ready! Bring on the Vortec!

So ya ever gonna tell us which engine & tranny? How about other mods like exhaust manifolds & cam?

The list

OK guys here we go again. :bounce:First off I would like to thank Gwest for the vote of confidence and the kind words. That is one heck of a trip to make for a "simple engine swap:grinpimp:" So we will be installing a 03 5.3l Vortec (41,000 miles on it) mated with the stock 4L60E and Yota transfer. The harness and ECU will be made by Fuel Injection Specialties.

Adapters for the 4L60E are from AA. The center drop headers from AA will be installed for the exhaust running a dual system, front O2 sensors, NO CATS, 2 1/2 to 3" pipe with the dual chamber Flowmasters.

The front drive shaft is from Downey. Once I get to that point Texas truck parts will Modify the drive shafts to a smaller Dia. tube but thicker wall.

I have already begun working on the engine. I have the tear down and cleanup going and have started to port and polished the heads.
Stay tuned pic's to follow!!

Let me clarify something; the local Florida people I could have used for the V-8 conversion wanted to do the "simple V-8 swap". This simpler, maybe less complicated swap would have been a crate motor with a carb or holley projection system. In the end that would be more expensive, but a simpler way to go. I don't know anyone who has done this swap using these Vortec motors as cleanly and professionally as Iaintscared1969.

Conratulations GSWEST...I will be following this thread...

Aintscared, I am next! :beer:

ML

I know we use aliases here, but you guys can call me Scott.

The 5.3 arrives

Here are the pic's of the engine and tranny as how I brought it home. Very nasty looking if you ask me...That's my son Andy helping with the clean up work.
engine1.JPG
engine2.JPG
engine3.JPG

Last edited:
The 5.3 prep begins...

Here's the tear down and prep of the block. It takes a little time but I have always liked doing this portion because I can actually see the end result before it goes in the truck:grinpimp:
engineprep1.JPG
engineprep2.JPG
engineprep3.JPG

Porting/polishing the heads..

Here's a little trick I have always done but seem to forget to post it. This is something every racer has done in their lifetime....
headport1.JPG
headport2.JPG

Bling!!!!

Now for the after pic's of a little bit of elbow grease and Ceramcote paint. Yes that is a very close match to the vehicle scheme.
enginepaint1.JPG
enginepaint2.JPG
enginepaint3.JPG

The motor mounts

If you are using the AA LS1 motor mounts with the AA center dump headers you need to modify them. First of the #1 tube will hit the steering linkage when install so the pipe has to be cut and turned in. This is done at the exhaust shop, But I cut the relief and the 1" offset on the drivers side. There are no issues with the P/S header during installation.
mm1.JPG
mm2.JPG
mm3.JPG

Drivers side header

This is the header after it is installed. Note the #1 sticks out a bit further. This is where it will hit the steering knuckle. Easy fix for a good exhaust guy.
dsheader.JPG

It's ready to mate up to a tranny

Here's the pic's for the finished product. I am leaving the top cover off because it is going to be a surprise for the final pics.
engineready2.JPG
engineready3.JPG
engineready4.JPG

1 more

I may be getting a little carried away but I think it looks good. Next will be the tranny and the installation of the new end shaft and possibly a TCI upgrade kit.:grinpimp:
engineready5.JPG

Tranny prep

OK here goes the fun part. Removing the bell housing and tranny support to get it ready to disassemble. Thats T50 bolt heads on the bell housing and don't use an extension on the impact.
tranny1.JPG
tranny2.JPG
tranny3.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom