Split my split rims... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I split my split rims...

When I got my 40, one of my biggest concerns was with finding the right wheels for it. I was originally going to go with 15" OEM steelies, but I really like the look of larger 16" rims and how they look on 40's and having a set of wheels I could swap with my 80 was another idea of mine. This is what I came up with.

I accidently deleted the side by side pic of an original split rim vs. the modified rim, but everyone knows what split rims look like. I finally picked up the remaining 3 wheels this week and got a chance to paint one. This is the final product.
split1.jpg

split2.jpg

This is a non-USDM split rim center that was removed and welded onto a large ID 16x7 wheel "barrel". With 3.25 B.S. this wheel will fit both my 80 and my 40.I think they came out pretty good. I painted this one with Krylon Battleship Gray #RTA 9206 spray paint.

Here is the modified wheel next to a 15" OEM welded steelie (painted w/the same Battleship Gray).Note the difference in size and shape of the centers. I wish my 16" wheels had clips.
split3.jpg

What do you think?

One more cheap camera phone pic. Yes, I need a lift!

4142019086_0b44544fbc_o.jpg

Tires are 285/75/16

Last edited:
looks great.

great idea:beer:

id be interested in doing the same at some point.

dont forget to post some pics when they are on your rig..

So: how much? They look great!

I like the 16" wheels, and I've even got a set, but I don't want the split rims on my 45, so something like this would be perfect. There's also a Toyota 16" non-split option, but I don't know if this route or that route would be cheaper or better.

Dan

Updated pics, still need to get 2 more tires mounted. Yes, I will be lifting my truck, still on the fence btwn 2.5" or 4" springs.

Been thinking I'd like to do similar with mine, the 5.5 width on the factory 15" rims is a little narrow unless you're running 9.5 inch tires. If I do it I think I'd cut the center out of my factory steelies so I can keep the clips and run with the factory hub caps. There are just a lot more tire options with the 16" rim. How much for the rims and the welding?

Very nice - most reminds of the Cruiser in Who Needs a Road.

emr88,

Who did your conversion? Contact info?

Looks nice.

Cheers, Allen

Work was performed by:
Bolton's Classic Wheels
16516 S Western Ave, Gardena, CA
310 538 5046

I paid $200 for the split rims (found on CL) and $300 to have them modified. Talking to the guy at Bolton's, it seems like they have modified Toyota steelies in the past, mostly converting 15" OEM steelies to 15x8, or 15x10. He mentioned that he modified a bunch of 15" steels for someone in San Fernando a while back, maybe Mark A?

SWEET!

Are they much lighter than the split rims?

Stockton will take 15" steelies and convert them to 16" (any width/backspace) allowing for retention of hubcap clips.

I've seen a set on a 40 and on an 80.

Both sets were done prior to Stockton's closing and reopening, but I would guess they still offer the "up-size" service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom