School me on FJ-43's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wngrog

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.seeandeatms.com
I am a proud owner of a FJ-43 out of Bogota Columbia.

This is the one that the DEA guy brought back from Columbia, let the block crack from having no anti-freeze and then sold it to the guy in North Carolina.

Well, it came up for sale and with the help of Todd Kaderabek, I am the new owner.

Since I sent the check last week, I have been reading everything I can on the model and there is very little info out there.

The History of the Landcruiser books has the FJ-43 being replaced by the BJ-43 in 1974. Well, mine is a 1978 so I know that is wrong.

This one has a funky aftermarket fiberglass top. It is a VERY nice top and the fit is perfect, but the book says this model only came with a soft top.

What other countries had the FJ/BJ43? What is the last year of production?

It is VERY nice.

Todd says the PO claims these are actual KMs. 33,000 which is 20,000 miles. Having owned a low, low mileage old Cruiser before, this one does not show the normal wear of a Cruiser with over 50,000 miles.

Paint is original as are all the components. It needs a few OEM replacement parts like air filter, hood hooks and mirrors. I also want to paint the sides of the top yellow for a more OEM look.

It rides and drives as close to a new vehicle of its vintage as any I have ever driven.

Overall it is a MAJOR find and a MAJOR collectors item. I love it.

457745622_Ro4Hz-L.jpg

457750103_Lybgn-L.jpg

457747789_fzpQy-L.jpg

457748900_BQcaK-L.jpg

457746650_pk6bF-L.jpg

457750770_ChLdt-L.jpg

457751369_urc6A-L.jpg

Please let me know what's what with this model.

Nolen,

It looks like your 43 is a factory soft top. It has the rear footmans loops and the soft top bow brackets on top of the fenders and at the top-inside of the tub on both sides.

I thought with hardtop 43s, the top is not removable. I like the fiberglass top you have.

Here's a shot of a soft top 43 I saved from MUD. Also a hardtop 43 - Bandi?? Is this your 43?

Fantastic purchase!!
FJ43 Tan.jpg
FJ43 White.jpg
Yellow FJ43.jpg

Beautiful!!

I think Bear on here has a 43 softtop, not sure if it's a BJ or FJ. Check with him, I'm sure he can give more info on them.

Congrats on the new rig.

When he was listing here on MUD, I thought he said it had a frame off restoration done before it came to the USA?

Yeah, I read that too and I see zero evidence of any restoration.

Yeah Lash, the yellow one is it. The 43 hardtop is an elusive creature that always turns out to be a LV. Marv may have one though. It looks more like an LV than that Bandarante you posted. I am pretty sure these were soft top only or no top.

The paint job is faded out on the main body like an original. The frame itself and all of the body bushings are not "restored"

I don't know, but I have been around a lot of restored and repainted rigs and I see no evidence of either. I will get more time to crawl around on it and see.

Lash,

Soft Top
This one is a 1982 2B Diesel from Japan
What engine do you have
102_0481.jpg
P1010023.jpg

NICE CRUISER
No roll bars
I installed my own from a 40
Factory soft top only
44 is the hard top version
Mine is not a factory top
throw some 33s on it

Last edited:
:eek:WOW what a nice 43!!! IMO you should eventually get an OEM style soft top for it also to complete the original look.. BUT that hardtop is VERY cool as well.. AMAZING score.

the bandirante pictured looks to have a longer wheelbase than the fj43 don't it..

Roll bars? Did they ever come with one?

super nice rig, nice score:beer:

you could try ToyoDIY.com to see- according to your VIN, how your rig was configured. that link was posted on this site some time ago, great resource.

i have a 1980 fj43L-KC -no roll bar. according to the website if it were KCJ it would have the roll bar.

This is a very nice cruiser. You are lucky :clap:

This is a FJ. 2F, which goes against the Toyota History book. Talking to Henry C. in the past, most South American cruisers are gas since fuel is so cheap down there. So even though most of the world went to the BJ in 1974, it looks like the FJ43 lived on.

I will look and see how this was first configured. Very cool vehicle. I just ordered up some OEM mirrors for it. I need to get an OEM air cleaner setup too.

Will skinny 33's fit on it as long as I don't flex it up too much? Sorry for the gay newbie question, but I have never had a stock 40 for long :)

Nolen you lucky sum bitch.... Congrats!

I vaguely remember reading a long time ago that he had that top made in south america for it...

95"

I thought it would be longer.

45 is 105" and a 40 is 90"
Interesting. I always thought the 43's had a similar wheel base to the 45.
The departure would be a lot better if they did.

Yeah that Banderante has a longer wheelbase and a FJ-40 overhang. Much better combo for off roading.

This one won't see off-road. My days of "enjoying" the trails in a leaf-sprung rig are behind me :D

Todd, will you paste the link in here to the original for-sale ad please? I can't find it.

Last edited:
33 x 9.5 no problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom