another "can I fit this battery in my 100" thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The stock battery on my 2000 has given up the ghost after almost 8 years and 110k miles. I am searching for a replacement and found out here on MUD that Sears new Platinum line of Diehard batteries are extremely similar to the Odyssey batteries (some say the same). Problem is that they do not carry a direct drop in like the PC1700. The cost is not too much less for the Sears batteries, but I cannot get the Odysseys anywhere - not in the 1700 size at least. After waiting 3 weeks for a back ordered one just to be told it would be at least three weeks more, I have given up on getting one. Anyhow, I went to Sears today and found that they have a Marine AGM Diehard Platinum in size 31 that looks like it will pretty much fit. The problem is getting the positive battery cable connected. The terminal on the battery is fairly centered, and is just under 4 inches from the edge. The rigid cable end with fuse box allows for about 2.5 inches. All I need for this to work is an additional 1.5 inches or so. Any ideas on fabricating a 1.5 inch metal spacer the connect the rigid bar from the fuse box and cable to the clamp? Or does someone make marine style battery terminal connection converters with 2 or os inches between the terminal post connection and the wing nut/bolt connection? It is so close that I am loathe to go through the evolution of changing the entire wiring set up. Something I could use that is 'off-the-shelf" would be ideal.

Thank you.

bus bar?

Now that I think about it, I guess what I need is about 3 inches or so of 3/8 inch bus bar. Where does one buy that small a piece of copper (or aluminum or steel)?

You can go to a scrap yard that buys metal, and probably get a small piece of copper.
You also can call your local sheet metal/machine shops and explain what you need.
Keep us posted on what you end up doing.
~DMX

Subscibed! I am facing the same dillema and am in need of replacing the main bat!

Maybe check these out: Busbars, Connectors & Insulators - Blue Sea Systems

I wanna use the Group 27 Lifeline AGM as it fits perfect without mods (aside from the + terminal issue you are having too)

A few inches of busbar would make most installations easier, I think. Stay tuned!

Not sure if you can see it in the pic in my other posts about mounting an Optima Group 31 battery in the stock location.
I just got a piece of 3/4" x 1/8" copper flat bar (busssbar) and drilled a hole to mount to my terminal, then put it in the vice , then with a shifter/adjustable wrench twisted the bar 90 degrees then cut to length to match up with all the existing wiring/fusible links etc. and drilled another hole. A very quick fix/mount and everything stayed original. 3/4 x 1/8 is about 0 AWG or similar IIRC without getting the chart out.

it is installed

It is in tight, but it fits. I took three 1.6mm thick copper plate pieces and made an extension. Not a permanent solution, but it will work until I get the piece of busbar 100TD references. Other than that, pretty much bolted right in. Used a spacer on the bracket and needed to use a different screw that I had in the screw drawer. Tight but fits. See pics:
1043008.jpg
2043008.jpg
3043008.jpg

two more pics

two more pics
4043008.jpg
5043008.jpg

Although myself and others have already installed a group 31 battery in the stock location, this install will likely receive some strong interest as many are keen to do a similar thing and this SEARS battery seems a reasonable priced battery to suit most peoples purpose (in the USA I mean).

However I make a note of the following, this battery probably weighs 75lbs(33kg) against the original of possibly 39 lbs (18kg) or less, please consider this, it may be worth someone making up a decent battery bracket and selling it to other MUD members (in stainless). Please read my other AGM battery post here
https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series...-odyssey-batteries-some-precautions-faqs.html
and have a serious think about coupling this new battery with some alternator maintenance, replacement terminals etc. Someone may also wish to go to the electrical wholesalers and buy a length of copper bussbar and snip off bits and send it to other mud members (I don't know the availability of short lengths of this stuf in the US)

TD - 1/8" by 3/4" is enough copper? I was thinking 3/16" x 1". I am looking for a supplier of copper. 1/8" is definitely cheaper.

Although myself and others have already installed a group 31 battery in the stock location, this install will likely receive some strong interest as many are keen to do a similar thing and this SEARS battery seems a reasonable priced battery to suit most peoples purpose (in the USA I mean).

However I make a note of the following, this battery probably weighs 75lbs(33kg) against the original of possibly 39 lbs (18kg) or less, please consider this, it may be worth someone making up a decent battery bracket and selling it to other MUD members (in stainless). Please read my other AGM battery post here
https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series...-odyssey-batteries-some-precautions-faqs.html
and have a serious think about coupling this new battery with some alternator maintenance, replacement terminals etc. Someone may also wish to go to the electrical wholesalers and buy a length of copper bussbar and snip off bits and send it to other mud members (I don't know the availability of short lengths of this stuf in the US)

IMO the bracket is strong enough, with the exception to the little angle brackets welded on. I can look at making a bracket, but will need some info on the added height the sears battery adds.
Can someone give me the info?
DMX

TD - 1/8" by 3/4" is enough copper? I was thinking 3/16" x 1". I am looking for a supplier of copper. 1/8" is definitely cheaper.

If you pay for the shipping I'll send you a 3"x1/4 copper flat bar.:cheers: Thanks for your efforts.
LMK
~DMX

3/4 x 1/8 is heavy enough but you can go bigger if you want.
Don't forget to add some insulation around the outside of the battery to protect from engine bay heat, also underneath if possible.
In the photo the battery is close to the high pressure aircon aluminium line, make sure you give it some room and your btracket is sturdy enough to stop it sliding sideways and rubbing against it.
I ground the tab back on the side of the radiator that holds the radiator overflow bottle (yours may be different), it made another 1/4" of room. Up to you if you need/want to do it.
The stock battery clamp is probably strong enough but I would replace the angles with something decent to spread the load across a greater surface, so making a complete new bracket was easy. You could also get yourself a decent solid brass battery terminal to work with. Don't forgwt to get a large battery terminal cover like the one in the photo below.

A pic of my stainless battery bracket here, very easy to make.
IH8MUD.com Forum - View Single Post - How many years on a OEM battery?

Last edited:
IMO the bracket is strong enough, with the exception to the little angle brackets welded on. I can look at making a bracket, but will need some info on the added height the sears battery adds.
Can someone give me the info?
DMX

I will make the measurements of the battery in this location this weekend. I would like better angle brackets, but do not have access to a welder.

3/4 x 1/8 is heavy enough but you can go bigger if you want.
Don't forget to add some insulation around the outside of the battery to protect from engine bay heat, also underneath if possible.
In the photo the battery is close to the high pressure aircon aluminium line, make sure you give it some room and your btracket is sturdy enough to stop it sliding sideways and rubbing against it.
I ground the tab back on the side of the radiator that holds the radiator overflow bottle (yours may be different), it made another 1/4" of room. Up to you if you need/want to do it.
The stock battery clamp is probably strong enough but I would replace the angles with something decent to spread the load across a greater surface, so making a complete new bracket was easy. You could also get yourself a decent solid brass battery terminal to work with. Don't forgwt to get a large battery terminal cover like the one in the photo below.

A pic of my stainless battery bracket here, very easy to make.
IH8MUD.com Forum - View Single Post - How many years on a OEM battery?

TD- I am planning on finding some water proof insulation. Just have not had a chance to yet. Same with changing the terminals. For the battery terminal covers, from where did you order those? I am also planning on spending a little time on the exact placement to see if it can be adjusted at all, although it is in pretty tight. You mention in a previous email servicing the alternator connections - I have never heard of this.

Here's mine.
battery 006.jpg

Last edited:
You do that and I can machine copper links and we can retire, or maybe not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom