Instead of PullPal....follow up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Told a member here I would post pics. of what I (and others) use as an alternative to the "PullPal".

So here ya go:

Here are some pics. of the axle/anchor I made and use.

This pic. just shows the entire tool and gives you an idea of the scale.

Specs:

1-1/2” diameter hardened axle (discarded from old tractor, but anything similar would work).

Needs to be 36”-42” long to best accommodate all soil conditions (shorter will work where the soil is firm).

Handles of some type…to help facilitate removal of tool when finished (twisting back and forth and pulling up is usually sufficient, or you can winch it out if necessary).

Note: A tab of some sort could be welded to the axle to accept a clevis if you wish (build to suit).

anchor1.jpg

The next image simply shows the bottom of the tool and how it is “sharpened” slightly to make driving the tool into the soil easier. I chose a four sided wedge shape and fairly steep angles. Do yours as you see fit.

anchor2.jpg

Continued next post……………

Third pic. shows the top of the tool with handles and a ring I welded on to provide a larger striking surface and to act as a stop for the winch cable or hook (if you choose to attach them at that site). You may be a better shot with a sledge than I am…and not require the enlarged striking area. But, since its usually cold, wet, muddy and dark when I seem to get stuck I went with “bigger”.

anchor3.jpg

The last pic. is just an auxiliary view showing the construction a bit better… along with the suggested attaching points for your winch Cable/Hook/Chain/Strap/Snatch Block/etc.

anchor4.jpg

Another idea:

I made a “pair” of smaller axle/anchors (about 30” long) for a neighbor of mine who is an older gentleman who had trouble getting a single 42” anchor started. They work equally well in fairly solid soil. You can place one behind the other (about 4’ apart), then use a recovery strap or chain (I prefer chain) to link them together.

Just secure the strap or chain to the anchor in the rear, pull tight, then take a wrap around the anchor in the front and hook it to your cable. Easier to store, easier to use….but requires firmer soil because of shorter length.

Anyway, some of you may want to give this a try. Most of us get stuck in places where this tool works well. If you live in the arctic and have 36” of permafrost, I wouldn’t go this route.

If you are bogged down in a river bed and the only thing around you is 5’ of “silt” this tool isn’t going to get you out either, but…. as long as you can drive it down to any reasonable layer of sand, mud, soil…it will provide for a pretty good pull.

I’ll keep these pics. up for awhile…..but please copy them now if you’re interested, my photobucket is getting pretty clogged.

Flint.

Last edited:
Great idea! A lot easier to store in the rig also...

Great idea! A lot easier to store in the rig also...

I have a '70 model half cab Bronco that is my "wheeler"... so I can just store it in the truck bed, but it doesn't take up much room and a bracket of some sort could easily be fashioned.

And just in case anyone is thinking it doesn't take much to pull an Early Bronco free, mine in "full hunting gear" (racks etc..) goes over the scale at a tad under 6,000 lbs.

So, I have tested the axle/anchor pretty well.

Its not the "end all" of tools, but it has served me well...and cost me zero dollars.

Hmmmm, who's got a tractor I can pilfer....

Great idea.

Went ahead and took a few more pics. just in case we have doubters.

No one at home right now to help take video, so you’ll just have to trust me (I’m honest).

First pic. is what the axle/anchor looks like driven into the ground at an angle away from the line of pull. In this particular case it’s even on a hillside. Soil is fairly moist sandy loam (not hard red clay).

winch1.jpg

Second pic. is just to show that I am actually pulling up a fairly decent grade (since I’m not stuck I wanted to load the anchor). Here… I am standing downhill from the Bronco... and have zoomed in a little.

winch2.jpg

More pics. continued next post……………

Last edited:
Just a quick pic. from the front seat to help show that I am indeed pulling up a grade.

winch3.jpg

And then this one… as the Bronco has crested the hill.

Anchor has not moved at all!

winch4.jpg

Last edited:
pretty cool. But up a grade and stuck to the axles, not the same :D

How would that do if it needed to be anchored in mud or sand?

Your not trying hard enough, get out there, get stuck... report back!

pretty cool. But up a grade and stuck to the axles, not the same :D

How would that do if it needed to be anchored in mud or sand?

Your not trying hard enough, get out there, get stuck... report back!

Don't need to, I've been using this thing for 15 years.
I can promise you I've been axle deep in mud and stuck in Sugar Sand, wedged against trees, high centered, you name it.

I recognize that "stuck" (and uphill) are not the same thing (been wheeling for about 40 years now) thank you.

With mud, (if you can find a bottom in it) the anchor still works pretty good. Sand depends on how stuck you are (the pullpal aint real great in sand either). The key to getting out of sand is to "air down" dig out in front of your tires....and for God's sake quit spinning the damn tires when forward movement stops, this anchor helps alot.

I am not saying the anchor is equivalent to hooking up to D8, but it will get you out of most spots where something more suitable is not available to attach to.

Try it if you want, don't if you think its a hoax. No skin off my nose.

cool your jets man, I was just pulling your chain. It's a cool project.

My jets never got heated up, not to worry, just ask anyone here that knows me.

Just trying to share an alternative.

I wouldn't post anything here that I hadn't tried, tested and trust. Got too many friends here I wouldn't want to let down.

cool tool! I really like the idea of the pullpal but it's huge, heavy and expensive... this is great i'm going to try it

cool tool! I really like the idea of the pullpal but it's huge, heavy and expensive... this is great i'm going to try it

The axle doesn't have to be 1-1/2", but most truck/light tractor axles will be about that size anyway.

The length you choose depends on how you expect to use it. I could have winched my Bronco up the hill with only half the anchor driven in, but in soupy mud (or loose sand) it would need go the whole way (about 38").

So, just use the concept and build whatever you think you need/want. Remember you can make two shorter ones as well...and link them together.

Anyway, its an easy project and should be inexpensive. Definitely works.

For those without the materials or a welder, find an old axle...take it to any welding shop with these pics. or your specs. and have them make you one. Couldn't cost much.

No doubt other features could be incorporated (tab for clevis, etc), but I chose to keep mine simple.

How about welding some wings onto the sides for in softer condition?

I've done something similair to this once when we got bogged and there were no trees around - we were on the farm and had a bunch of star dropper fence posts in the tray, banged them in and bridled them up with a bit of chain, pulled the cruiser out pretty well

For the boat I have a thing similair to this, its got a captive slide hammer at the top, so you bang the handle up and down to drive the spike in. Its only big enough to stop the ski boat floating away, but similair principle (and where I got the idea for the wings)

Sean

Elegantly simple. Thanks for sharing!

How about welding some wings onto the sides for in softer condition?

I've done something similair to this once when we got bogged and there were no trees around - we were on the farm and had a bunch of star dropper fence posts in the tray, banged them in and bridled them up with a bit of chain, pulled the cruiser out pretty well

For the boat I have a thing similair to this, its got a captive slide hammer at the top, so you bang the handle up and down to drive the spike in. Its only big enough to stop the ski boat floating away, but similair principle (and where I got the idea for the wings)

Sean

Probably work fine.

As I said previously, take the concept, play with with....and build whatever suits you best.

I kept mine simple...and it works very well for my purposes. I know it doesn't look like it would hold much but it does.

I'd love to see what others come up with (I am ever the student).

here's something i've seen that is similar where they tie several together in-line to add more grip.
01.jpg

here's something i've seen that is similar where they tie several together in-line to add more grip.

That is the principle behind the "pair" of shorter ones I made for my neighbor.

Attachment point of the winch cable needs to be close to the ground however (and kept there).

In your rendering, you are losing the mechanical advantage, but..yes you can add as many as you like for increased anchoring ability.

Was that done on Pro-E, Catia or AutoCad? (just kidding) Thanks for sharing the idea.

Flint.

dang, that looks exactly like my truck with the (too big) ARB in front and the M12K ! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom