For Sale Frame-Off Restored M416 Trailer (Independent Airbag Suspension, Kitchen, RTT, etc) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SOLD - Frame-Off Restored M416 Trailer (Independent Airbag Suspension, Kitchen, RTT)

SOLD

Hi guys,

I built this because "I always wanted one" and not really because I need it (though I really enjoyed this trailer and I really enjoyed building it). I can probably ship it nationwide for about $800 to $1000.

No expense was spared in the build and I probably have about 200 hours I figure (6 months with regular work) in its construction. EDIT: Price Drop: $4700 Trailer only, $5900 with ARB Tent. I also have a lead on a brand new Mombasa tent for $500 that could also work...

• Frame off sandblast and restoration
  • Tongue extended 18"
  • Lid with ladder rack in frame design to secure 6 military cans (plastic or metal, fuel or water)
  • Slide out kitchen drawer, food storage, cooking surface
  • Paint is "ZeroRust" which is similar to POR-15 buy better cosmetics and a rust bonding paint that is what the USMC uses for their tan drab. Tan body, black frame and fenders.
  • ARB Simpson II Roof Top Tent mounted on Thule cross bars
  • Aluminum Rims, BFG 33 x 10.5 All Terrains
  • Built extremely tough and heavy duty. It has also been trail tested and performed flawlessly. The cross member where the arms mount is a little tweaked due to its thin metal after heavy off-roading so I am about to cut it out and put in a new crossmember with thicker steel and I will re-align with a laser.
  • Fenders widened by 2"
  • Re-use and design using the factory military turn signals, which were restored.
  • Complete frame off restoration including new wiring
  • 20 Cal Ammo Can used as electrical center box and storage. "Smart" wiring that uses a plug extension that adapts to any 7 pole plug.
  • Trailer is completely locking using its own matching key (several copies of original factory lock keys included)
  • Trailer tows perfectly and at all speeds, on or off road. The technique to towing this trailer is "pretend its not there" and it will literally "follow" you anywhere. I found it matched the track of my Toyota perfectly which made it excellent for off road.

Let me know if you have any questions. Located in Park City, Utah (20 minutes east of Salt Lake City). Asking $6500 with the ARB tent or $5200 without. Pretty firm on price. Here is the complete build thread here on the Expedition Portal. EDIT Price Drop $4700 Trailer Only, $5900 with ARB Tent. I also have a lead on a possibly Mombasa tent for $500.

Photos: (Edit: sorry for all the photos, I wanted to document all the modifications):

Before..
attachment.php

Sand blasted:
attachment.php

Front cross member added and tongue extended:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Independent Suspension, laser aligned... Again I have to replace the cross member the independent arms are attached to and will re-laser align. I figure it should take about 1 day and I'll do it later this week.

attachment.php

3500 axles, very heavy duty (no trailer brakes). You can add trailer brakes easily...
attachment.php

Mountain brackets (made by Adventure Trailers) for the Firestone airbags:
attachment.php

Independent A-arms and the frame: photo also shows close up of the Zero Rust paint and it's quality. It is sort of like a plastic-filled rust killing paint. It is very very solid and very durable. Both the black and tan are the same paint.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here is the tailgate, note the sliding latches into the original box:
attachment.php

Tie-downs on the tongue:
attachment.php

Receiver added to rear hitch for recovery or transport of mountain bikes, etc:
attachment.php

Here is the lid frame that secures 6 water/fuel cans (plastic or metal):
attachment.php

Ladder rack. You basically position the cans in the correct location in the trailer and it locks them in place:
attachment.php

Removable lid using large, heavy duty greaseable barrel hinges. Fake raingutters for Thule or Yakima cross bars:
showthread.php

Tie downs on the lid:
attachment.php

Before paint (and fender widening):
attachment.php

The hole cut for the kitchen:
attachment.php

Accuride 500lb ball bearing slides - heavy duty:
attachment.php

Kitchen drawer, all 14 gauge steel (heavy duty):
attachment.php

Widened fenders:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Tires perfectly fit in the fenders at full compression:
attachment.php

Inside picture of the receiver at the rear:
attachment.php

Lock mechanism for tailgate -- trailer completely locks:
attachment.php

Paint, black and tan. This is the inside (underside) of the lid:
attachment.php

Rewiring with the original lights:
attachment.php

Tub. Note inside of wheel wells are black:
attachment.php

Body, tub, and fenders. Underside of the tub is ZeroRust black:
attachment.php

Several coats of black on floor of tub:
showthread.php

Kitchen and cooking surface - note the weatherstripping when closed. Cook surface folds onto lid of drawer and acts as lid that cannot open with drawer closed. It also keeps the drawer open when cooking.
attachment.php

Trailer has its own matching keys for the kitchen and lid locking paddle latches:
attachment.php

Hydraulic lifters assist in keeping the lid open even with the heavy Roof Top Tent. Strap assists people of all heights when closing (Scott here is about 5'6" tall):
attachment.php

Photo with tent deployed:
attachment.php

Last edited:
Heavy duty wiring (6 wires in plastic coated harness):
attachment.php

Final pics / in action:

Breakfast in Valley of the Gods. A stainless cooler fits perfectly infront of the water/fuel cans:
attachment.php

Trailer in tow overlooking Lake Powell:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Traditional military lunette which I never had any real problems or complaints with. I may not know what I'm missing though... Trailer tows great on or off road and at all speeds. The way to drive it is as if its not there. It follows you exactly where you are going.

attachment.php

With the tent deployed and the ladder down:
attachment.php

And that's it.... Thanks and sorry for all the pics/slow load...

Thanks guys.. I never mentioned it performs flawlessly even fishtailing at 45 mph on rutty dirt roads. Again, like it's not even there...

A friend emailed to say he's heading east in a month or two to Rochester NY and can possibly deliver from here in the SLC area.

Also, kitchen and cooking surface - note the weatherstripping when closed. Cook surface folds onto lid of drawer and acts as lid that cannot open with drawer closed. It also keeps the drawer open when cooking.

SWEET

I never even wanted a trailer until i saw this. You do real nice work!

A friend emailed to say he's heading east in a month or two to Rochester NY and can possibly deliver from here in the SLC area.

Kevin? He's gonna be gone for that long? Man I'm jealous of him. I wish I could take off a couple of months at a time.

Nope, different friend... Cruiserhead though, who lives in San Diego. Drives "home" every year at least once though interestingly enough...

Ooh, that's a temptation. The wife loves the idea of a trailer and we're planning on getting one, but were thinking a year out from now. I'm going to have to do some consulting and see if we can move our time schedule up. I'm close too, down in Provo.

Do you think a stock 62 with 33's could pull this trailer decently?

Two more questions: would a fridge (arb or engel) fit in the space between the tailgate and fuel/water cans? How strong are the fenders since they've been sliced and re-welded (which I like)? Could you potentially stand on them?

Awesome trailer.

Great design and craftsmanship.

My congrats on your work. Great build pics.

Good luck on you sale.

The check is in the mail..........you can trust me, I am a professional :eek:........do not try this at home.......:cheers:

Thanks guys.. A stock FJ62 would pull it pretty well I think, particularly weight wise. The big question is the power. I pull it with my V6 pickup (the famous "3.slow" which is a lot like a FJ62 as far as power) and it pulls it pretty well. The secret is trying to *not* put too much weight in the trailer, not that it can't handle the load or tow it, but oddly on a truck that 'just barely' has enough power it would be noticeable whereas just putting the heavy weight (fuel, etc) in the truck is the way to go. Otherwise you need something with a little more power in my opinion. With the trailer empty it almost tows like its not there... With the trailer loaded it tows that way too, but you feel the weight. It is also better to wheel with the weight in your truck as well just for wheelability.

Fender strength - very strong. I haven't done it but I think you could walk on them just fine...

Hope it helps and thanks guys... Max let me know if you have any questions. I'd be happy to send my # as well.

thanks, Andre

PS Mo Rocks, very funny.. :) Thanks, Andre

Last edited:
Andre,
If you find someone in California I can help with delivery from Reno as I'll be there quite a bit in the next few months. Fantastic trailer by the way. Very well thought out and Andre's work is top notch. I can say from experience that restoring and outfitting an m416 will set you back way more than the asking price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom