Shotts' 1993 Built for Wheeling locked 80-series is FOR SALE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The '93 is ready to go. It's been driven by my son for the last 9 months. He's got his new ride, so the 80 goes. It's in great shape. I'll list everything I know about the thing below. I don't "play games" so what I write is accurate to the best of my knowledge. If somebody buys this from afar you'll get the truck I've displayed here on the forum and my website.

*THIS TRUCK IS READY FOR THE TRAIL TODAY. DO NOTHING BUT DRIVE IT TO THE TRAILHEAD!

I'll be glad to answer questions beginning Monday PM when I'm back in my office.

172,000 miles
Factory diff lockers
R-12 cold A/C
ABS
Cloth interior
No sliding rear window
No third row seat package
No sunroof

131802813-L.jpg

MODIFICATIONS:

Suspension:
OME 850 (+15mm trim packs)...OME 863 (+20mm trim packs)
OME long travel L-shocks
OME Caster correction bushings
*No driveline vibration exists in this truck!

131646097-L.jpg

Tires:
BFG 315x75-16 Mud Terrain KM's (Two are like new, two are beat and the spare is good)(spare tire is secured inside the rear of the vehicle)

131649814-L.jpg

Other Four Wheeling mods:
*Slee Off-Road Rock Sliders
*Safari Snorkel
*Custom bumpers front and rear for extreme approach and departure angles to improve off-road performance. The front and rear frames have been cut about 3" to shorten the truck. This allows this 80-series to attempt obstacles not possible with stock bumpers and/or aftermarket "typical" bumpers (like ARB, Slee, and Kaymar, etc) The custom bumpers are completely UN-BOLTABLE and can be removed for painting (or you could get them poweder coated, something we did not do). They're extremely strong being made from 3/8" steel plate.
*Lower rear control arm steel reinforcement and lower arm mount 3/8" skid plate.
*CDL switch (dash mounted)
*7-Pin mod which allows you to unlock the CDL in low range

131802796-L.jpg

131802786-L.jpg

OTHER ADDTIONAL UPGRADES:

*Sony AM/FM/CD/MP3 Input in-dash stereo with remote control
*Sony 6 1/2" coaxial front speakers
*Aftermarket rubber ducky antenna
(The above system sounds MUCH better than the stock system. The working stock radio is included with sale. The antenna we put on is for FM only. If you want AM you'll need to swap the antenna (EZ).
*Cobra handheld CB radio interface (CB not included) and Radio Shack external CB speaker. Antenna (included) screws onto the roof which allows for the best range.
*Windows tinted...though my son did put a few minor sratches into some tint from hauling his BMX bikes.

131649638-L.jpg

131649739-L.jpg

MAINTENANCE INFORMATION:

*Like all my vehicles...I am a change the oil every 3K guy. I also carry an extra quart in the engine bay for needed top-offs. The diffs and T-case get fluid swaps about every 20K too.
*Since I had not driven this for many months I thought I'd spend some seat time in the truck. I have driven it the last few days and everything works great. I did notice it needs an alignment. We'll do that tomorrow. I also noticed (only once) a slight pop from up front going over a bump. I think we need to re-torque those front control arms which we'll do this week.
*This thing is ready to go....I even re-painted the custom bumpers yesterday as it was time. I usually do this annually any how. It's simple and takes about 30-minutes.
*There was a thread on MUD about this thing not shifting properly. It was a false alarm. It occured the day after we had spray cleaned the engine and undersides. A day later after everything dried out the thing returned to normal and the issue has never returned....though might next time we clean it up again. Obviously we simply got something wet.

Here's a list of recent maintenance and/or repairs to this rig:

2/07...Front end alignment
2/07...Rotation and re-balance
1/7...Sony Stereo with speakers installed
12/06...New rear brakes including a caliper on the driver's side.
12/06...Driver's side front axle rebuild. The studs on the housing had loosened which messed up the seals and resulted in a leaky axle. We installed the new style Toyota studs and rebuilt the axle. We did not touch the other side as it was rebuilt back in 2004 (about 40K miles ago) and was not leaking because the studs were tight.
11/06...Brand new Toyota radiator installed (not cheap!)
7/06...A/C o-ring leak found. Fixed an recharged. Cold A/C. Nothing like R-12!
6/06 (approx)...2 new BFG tires installed.
1/06 (approx)...new Optima Red Top installed.
2005...New driver's side mirror installed. (Glass fell from the old one)

REVISED (ADDED INFO AS OF 2/26/07)
2004...Replaced the power steering pump as well as ALL the hosing (including that short 2" long culprit that's buried.
2/07...During my test drive I heard some slight power steering noise during the cold mornings. We drained the fluid completely and put in new. Silent as can be now.

Older news:

Back around 145K I needed O2 sensors. So, there's new ones in there.

Around 125K I did plugs, plug wires, transmission fluid (synthetic), and a front axle rebuild.

The truck's only been buffed one time. If buffed today it would look really good. We're not doing that as I'm sure a wheeler will buy the truck and start the scratch process all over. The tan color is actually pretty good on hiding the sctraches some.

REMAINING PROBLEMS/CONDITION:

*Some minor window tint scrapes
*The back-sides of the rear seats are scraped up some from hauling his bikes. In one there is a one-inch rip, though it's no biggie and I bet could be sewn.
*D/S rear reflector has a small poke hole in it from a branch. It's not in the light, just the reflector.
*P/S front turn signal "trim" is missing from another branch. We had it and was going to glue it back on though we can't find it. No biggie really.
*Like my '97, the roof rattles on the bad dirt roads bumps. The '93 rattles more than the '97 though without the sunroof in the '93 at least you don't have to listen to the 24/7 creaking of the sunroof like I do in the '97.

I think that covers it. Feel free to ask me any questions....again, I'll be able to respond beginning Monday PM.

SELLING PRICE:

$8995 is the "Asking Price".
REVISED PRICE (SEE POST #13 FOR DETAILS).....$8795.

*I believe we can get the asking price for this truck. It's READY TO GO and needs no upgrades in order to hit Moab. You save big time compared to buying a $7500 stock model then adding THOUSANDS to build it up.

*This truck will be sold as all six parking spaces in my drive are full, and that's a pain. (We can't park on the street) IF....$8995 turns out to be too high, we will drop to market price. Obviously, you and other 4-wheelers will determine what this rig is worth. This will be sold.

*Truck is sold As-Is and you're welcome to have a mechanic come to look at it and inspect it.

*PLEASE....only request information and/or ask questions if you're serious. This is a sale only....no trades. I don't have a parking space for another vehicle.

FULL SET OF PHOTOS WITH DETAILS ON MY WEBSITE:
http://shottscruisers.smugmug.com/gallery/2496302

131645512-L.jpg

131646311-L.jpg

131802775-L.jpg

Last edited:
Bump, I've seen this truck in person sevral times, it's clean and is everything he says it is... If I had the cash right now I would buy it, it's one heck of a deal...

People...some of the 80s are way overpriced or hyped but this one is ON it...hell, that's what a STOCK 80 costs around here.

GRAB THIS.

If only it had the third row seat package.

Bump.

Thinking I should find a lender that will sign a note on something this old.......My bank wants insane $$$ to finance anything older than 5 yrs.:rolleyes: If I can come up with something you will have PM and request for more pics.

Thinking I should find a lender that will sign a note on something this old.......My bank wants insane $$$ to finance anything older than 5 yrs.:rolleyes: If I can come up with something you will have PM and request for more pics.

Maybe you're not using the right bank.......Come see me and I'll finance it.

COUPLE OF MORE THINGS:

I was asked if it came with third row seats. It did not and here was my reply:

"No third row. Sorry. And from what I now understand, you really can't just add them....though IF YOU find a way....I have a set of leather third row seats from my '97 Lexus that I'd just give you. J"

ALSO.....to add to the maintenance section:

2004...Replaced the power steering pump as well as ALL the hosing (including that short 2" long culprit that's buried.

2/07...During my test drive I heard some slight power steering noise during the cold mornings. We drained the fluid completely and put in new. Silent as can be now.

Bump, I've seen this truck in person sevral times, it's clean and is everything he says it is... If I had the cash right now I would buy it, it's one heck of a deal...

OK...you get commission. :D

(How about a ride in the 100? :D :D :D )

how hard would it be to fab something to push the front bumper out a bit
great cruiser I am so tempted but
I will just bump ya

how hard would it be to fab something to push the front bumper out a bit
great cruiser I am so tempted but
I will just bump ya

The way it's made you could do it. You'd have to lengthen the bumper's rails that then bolt onto the frame. You'd lose approach angle though increase crash protection in case you rear-end someone.

UPDATE:

I learned again why only my mechanic and Precision Toyota are allowed to touch my Cruisers. Because everyone else sucks.

Strapped for time this week I took the '93 into Brake Max for a simple alignment. It's been a while and the truck drifts to the right a little and the steering wheel is a bit off-centered. It's just an alignment after all?

So we go in to pick it up.....the guy tells me that it pulls to the right because of the worn tires. He has a quote ready for $248/tire (x2) which is a rip-off. Then, he says the wheel bearing on the D/S is a bit loose and has a quote of $116 to do both wheels. I told him no thanks and that I'm selling the vehicle. I asked to see the result specs and it's then he told us he didn't align it because he was waiting to hear back.

Hear back? From when? Turns out Becky's cell got a "1 missed call" on it yesterday though there was no voicemail of ID number. Brake Max sucks!.

So, here's the deal.....Becky and work the next 3 days and are trying to split town Fri-Sun in the 100. So, I'm not going to take this to Toyota. I'm just going to shed a few bucks off to cover it. In fact, despite me not feeling loose bearings when I got home....and I know the loose bearing feel pretty good from all the times the 100's loosened...I'll take more $$$z off any how. It has been some time since I repacked the '93. That's fair....plus, IF the D/S bearing is a tad loose that could be that one-time pop I heard over the bump. My 100 did that when they were loose. The selling price is updated on Post #1.

If all the holes are there for the 3rd row seat hardware, I have extra hardware and a set of tan leather seats I can sell.

just a thought...

or...since John offered up the 3rd row seats, perhaps he could part with the hardware too?

seatbelts...I don't have seatbelts anymore though...

regardless...the truck looks great! good luck with the sale.

If all the holes are there for the 3rd row seat hardware, I have extra hardware and a set of tan leather seats I can sell.

just a thought...

or...since John offered up the 3rd row seats, perhaps he could part with the hardware too?

regardless...the truck looks great! good luck with the sale.

Thanks Doug. A sale is "almost closed".....but not yet. I kept the seats and not the hardware. You know my level of genius? :D

I can't believe my son let this thing go for a Nissan Maxima. His bike went in the 80 no problem. To fit it in the Maxima he has to remove the front wheel every time. Well...at 18 the brain is not fully developed yet. I shouldn't talk though....neither is mine. :D

John,

I wonder if you could do me a favor. It is a curiosity thing. Could you snap a photo of the VIN tag? I'm curious about the codes. The no sunroof, sliders, etc... make me think it was a tropical spec'd truck. The lockers are sort of a weird deal with cloth, but tan with the lockers is the only combination to get them I think. So the color is right for getting cloth and lockers. I'm just curious about the other stuff. Was the factory radio AM/FM tape or did it have CD too?

Bump.

A stripper 36th Anniversary 80 with lockers???? WOW. I wish I could work a quick sale of mine to get yours, Looks great. Of course our tax return should hit any day now..........

Good luck
Dave

just a thought...

Hey John,

If the sale does not close and it does have the 3rd row mounting holes please let me know.

It came from the factory without the third row (hence the one piece cargo compartment glass) I believe that the wheel houses are different between the third row and standard seating 80's and would require considerable effort to not only make the third row work properly and safely, let alone look factory original.

Dave

Looks like the "Beast" is sold. It's going to Idaho.

The details were (and the buyer is ABOUT to get a SURPRISE right now):

*Asking price was $8995

*Without and alignment I reduced the posted price $200 to $8795. Despite an alignment being only $50 I reduced another $150 IN CASE a wheel bearing re-pack is needed (doubtful). (I had them done at 140K)

*Buyer overnighted a deposit. I paid the O/N fee so selling price is now $8745.

*PLUS....DESPITE THE DEAL BEING DONE....I AM REDUCING THE PRICE ON MY OWN DOWN TO $8600. Why? The deals done.
He is flying down ASAP and will drive it back. Just in case that one-time-heard "pop" is not a loose D/S wheel bearing and/or a control arm bolt re-torqing...the new owner will be compensated this extra $145 toward the solution. This thing is ready for the road....hope he enjoys "the Beast". I'll fill the gas tank too and make sure the oil is topped off.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom