Building up my first camping trailer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After many months of research I am finally starting my trailer build. I got a frame from a company that used it to haul around a generator and air compressor for framing houses. It measures 64" long by 50" wide for the box area and the tongue is 42" long.

trailer 004.jpg

I swapped out the axle to a 3500# 67" wide axle with 6lug hubs. The rims are from a chevy two wheel drive truck. I ran into a problem where the hole in the rim for the hub is two small. The hub is 3.5" and the hole in the rim is only 3". So now I am out to look for different rims. The other problem is that once it is mounted up correctly, the tire might be too close to the frame. It is already close enough as it is.

Last edited:

Here is a highly detailed picture of what I hope to accomplish (Microsoft Paint). It will have a swing out door with a stove in it. When the door is swung open, the whole side of the trailer will become the kitchen area with access to the cooler and a door/table that will fold down.

drawing not to scale ;)
Trailer Drawing.png

Last edited:
I only have two more weeks to get this finished enough to take on vacation with us so I am working on it daily.

Here it is framed out:
trailer 017.jpg

I am using 1" 16 gauge square tubing for the frame. The doors will be done using 1/2" square framing. I plan on using 16 gauge sheet metal for the top and sides. The floor and the wheel wells will be done using 14 gauge (I have a 4'x8' sheet so I will use leftovers on the fender)

Another picture with mock up props:
trailer 021.jpg

Last edited:
Adding kick-outs to keep the fender from getting beat up. The kickouts are 1-1/2" 16ga square tube.

2008-07-04 021.jpg

I decided to make my own fenders. I had a hard time locating one wide enough here in town.

trailer 022.jpg

Last edited:
I only have two more weeks to get this finished enough to take on vacation with us so I am working on it daily.

Wow, now that is a timeline!

Good luck, looks like fun.

Drew

thats a quick build. Drew, what took you so long?

Make sure you dont take short cuts you will regret later, because of a short timeline

Yeah, the timeline is not much. I am just going to do enough to get it enclosed and have the spare tire mounted. One issue I am going to have is that my spare is mounted on a 97 FZJ80 rim. The bolt/lug size on the trailer hub is 1/2" so the lugs don't match up. Does anybody have a solution to this?

thats a quick build. Drew, what took you so long?

No JOKE! ;)

As for your spare, can you drive the old bolt out like on a hub and press in the size you need? Welcome to building one yourself, you will constantly have to modify everything to make it work, keep it up, you're off to a good start!

Drew

No JOKE! ;)

As for your spare, can you drive the old bolt out like on a hub and press in the size you need? Welcome to building one yourself, you will constantly have to modify everything to make it work, keep it up, you're off to a good start!

Drew

I could change out the studs. Like you said this is the "fun" part of building it myself. I am just not having much fun with all of it! All of this small dumb stuff adds up to a lot of money.

Hopefully today I will start cutting sheet metal.

All of this small dumb stuff adds up to a lot of money.

That is a very honest statement, just don't forget it adds time too! :D

One thing that helped me is to keep a running list of things to get done, then when I hit a hang-up, I could move onto the next thing instead of dropping everything to run out for one little bolt or part or tool... helped me speed things up towards the end too!

Have fun!

great lookin build so far !!! the build your own trailer flu seems to be spreading rapidly, its good to see.

Awesome

I'm new here but gonna try my own trailer too...that's one awesome job buddy...keep it up and keep posting pictures!!:cheers:

OK, so I am back from Vacation. The trailer worked great. I haven't had time to post for a while because I was spending any extra time on getting the trailer ready for the trip. I ran out of time and money, but what I got was a roadworthy trailer that is at least enclosed. I added temporary wood sides to it because I couldn't get the side doors completed on time. It passed inspection/registration two days before I left.

Here is a picture after skinning the wheel wells and the bed:

2008-07-04 028.jpg

Here is what it looks like in the current condition (it actually got a bit muddy before taking my first finished pics):

2008-07-04 044.jpg

Last edited:
looks fine with the wood sides, thats quite a big step up for the draw bar to reach the hitch

Any pics of the inside or with the side doors open?

looks fine with the wood sides, thats quite a big step up for the draw bar to reach the hitch

I made the height of the trailer the same as the height of the rear bumper. Eventually I will fab a new bumper with a higher hitch.

Any pics of the inside or with the side doors open?

No inside pics yet. There are no side doors yet either. Just one big wooden panel on each side so far.

It has been a while since I showed any updates on my trailer project, so I will revive this old thread to show what I have done.

I have added a few things. First I changed the hitch to a fully rotational and made it a little longer. Next is the sink, water tank, faucet and pump. I built a box on the trailer tongue with lids to cover them up. I may redo part of it so the faucet is hidden under the lid when it is closed.

Trailer2 006.JPG

Trailer2 014.JPG

I also built a roof rack, rear tire carrier, and attached the propane. I modded the back door with a strut to keep it from opening too wide.

Trailer2 010.JPG

Trailer2 011.JPG

Next on my list will be lighting. I installed some LED lights for the inside of the box, but I have no auxilliary outer lights yet. After that I plan to get rid of the side wooden panels and install access doors and divide off the interior.

That is it for now!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom