M416/M100/M105A2/T3 - etc.: Differences???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.denalihwy.com
Can someone run down the differences amongst those-numbered military trailers, specifically with respect to their good and bad points for on- and off-road trailering with our rigs?

And any other similar small-bodied open-box trailers, as well -

thanks!

The MTB (WWII era), M100 (Korean War era) and M416 (Vietnam War era) trailers are essentially the same, they're US-built 1/4 ton trailers designed to be towed by military Jeeps (from the "classic" Willys and Ford of WWII to the M151 "Mutt"). There are a few variants, like the M416B1 designed to be towed by the "Mighty Mite" issued to the Marine Corps during the Vietnam era, and a couple of flatbed generator trailer platforms. But they're essentially the same.

The confusion starts with the M101 designation, because there are two trailers that use it. The US-built M101 is a 3/4 ton trailer that was originally designed to be towed by the Dodge M37s and GM CUCV. It can be towed by a Cruiser, but it's a little bit big for dedicated trail use (heavy and wide).

The Canadian M101 is essentially an improved version of the M416 that was issued to the Canadian Army. Not only do they have improved features, the majority of the M101s being demobbed by the Canadian military saw little or no use, so they hit the civilian market in very good condition. That's a significant contrast to the M416s, which run the gamut from never used to units that were deployed to Southeast Asia for years and were heavily used in combat zones.

I think the CanadianM101 is the best option available out there for a dedicated offroad trailer, followed by the M416. The earlier 1/4 ton variants can also be converted, but there's a significant demand in the military vehicle restoration crowd for the older trailers, and prices reflect that.

There is also a civilian version of the MTB made by Bantam in the 40's and 50s that some people have converted for offroad use, but they have less desirable features and also tend to command high prices when in good condition.

Hope this helps!

here you see one of the main differences between a M100 and a M101.:
the wheelarches.

this is a M100
spatbord_1.jpg

the same M100 wirh selfmade M101-arches.
spatbord_2.jpg

A M416 has arches like these:
JeepTrailer.jpg

Last edited:
Wheel arches aren't the only difference between them. My M100 had a one position lunette, while the newer M416 have two positions (hi/low).

The CDN 101 has the recessed tie-downs, like 6 of them, which are quite useful.

Ed

Sorry - have had so many computer issues recently that I forgot to acknowledge the great answers. Thank you, everyone.

The MTB (WWII era), M100 (Korean War era) and M416 (Vietnam War era) trailers are essentially the same, they're US-built 1/4 ton trailers designed to be towed by military Jeeps (from the "classic" Willys and Ford of WWII to the M151 "Mutt"). There are a few variants, like the M416B1 designed to be towed by the "Mighty Mite" issued to the Marine Corps during the Vietnam era, and a couple of flatbed generator trailer platforms. But they're essentially the same.

There is also a civilian version of the MTB made by Bantam in the 40's and 50s that some people have converted for offroad use, but they have less desirable features and also tend to command high prices when in good condition.

Bantam made trailers during WWII but they were T3 not MBT. The MBT was made by Willys that was towed behind the MB which is the jeep Willys made. After WWII Bantam made the T3-C which was sold to the public with a few mods like a tailgate and 1 7/8" coupler for a ball instead of a lunette.

Wheel arches aren't the only difference between them. My M100 had a one position lunette, while the newer M416 have two positions (hi/low).

Another thing the landing land was three position on the WWII 1/4 ton trailer.

Only reason I dug this old thread up was to bring up something I found out this weekend and figured here was as good place instead of starting another thread. My MBT came with 15" civilian jeep wheels. I picked up some M100 rims. While changing the rims out I found out the left side has left hand thread. After having no luck with a lug wrench I switched to a impact gun. While trying to loosen what I thought was right hand thread I noticed a little movement. Figured I would try switching forward - reverse to see if it would come off. To my surprised it just popped off when I switch the impact gun. There is really not enough exposed thread on my trailer to tell it was left hand thread.

Question: I believe my M101A1 has the left hand threads but can't remember left hand threads on my M416 when I installed new rims and tires. What military trailers had left hand threads on the left side?

SNIP
Question: I believe my M101A1 has the left hand threads but can't remember left hand threads on my M416 when I installed new rims and tires. What military trailers had left hand threads on the left side?

The M101 CDN does not have lefthand threads. The Canadians are smarter than to confuse their soldiers like that when they're trying to get a flat changed at 40 below...:D

Does make me wonder what genius came up with that? Did someone think the lug nuts would back off because it was turning differently than the right side?

The M101 CDN does not have lefthand threads. The Canadians are smarter than to confuse their soldiers like that when they're trying to get a flat changed at 40 below...:D

Does make me wonder what genius came up with that? Did someone think the lug nuts would back off because it was turning differently than the right side?

Figured they didn't since it's a newer design than M416. My M416 is a 65. My M101A1 US military is a 68 but believe it has left hand threads. Maybe M101 dates back further than the M416.:meh:

As for the Canadian Army what were they using during WWII when my 9/43 MBT was made? My MBT just turned seventy. How old are the M101 CDN trailers, seems I read a lot are 92. Not really a fair comparison.

Something else on the MBT I found interesting. The cheap Harbor Freight magnetic trailer light just barely stick to the side of the bed. Wasn't the light but the metal in the bed. Maybe something that was done to use less steel during war.:meh: Maybe it's because of this it has less rust than most M101s I've seen from Canada.:hmm:

The WWII Jeeps had left hand threads on the left hand side, too. I Don't know if that was common for any other WWII era vehicles. Some of the early civilian Jeeps had the same setup.

Yes, but inquiring minds want to know WHY?:crybaby:;p

When I get to thinking about it, I do remember Grandpa saying something about "You'll run into dem backards threads every so offen." And now that I think about it, he did have an old Jeep that I never saw run.

Like a lot of things, I should have asked about more details when I had the chance.:frown::confused::hmm:

Maybe the thought was they wouldn't be so prone to loosen on that side if left-hand? But we don't do that now and wheels don't go flying off...unless someone forgets to tighten them -- or more rarely mechanical failure. I know, used to work in the trucking biz.

Maybe torque values were so low they needed lefties to help keep tight? :meh:

The only reason I've seen proposed that really makes sense is that it's a throwback to when early vehicles had their wheels held on with a single hub nut. In that case, if you assume mostly forward motion, that motion would tend to tighten a lh thread hub nut on the left side of a non-spinning axle. It would also tighten a rh thread hub nut on the right side. They kept building them that way after moving to multiple lug nuts as mechanics were used to working on them this way.

If this is truly the reason then it is interesting that the spindle nuts, which provide a very similar function to the old hub nuts, are rh thread on both ends of the axle. Even on those old WWII Jeeps that had lh thread lug nuts.

Alaska Ranger,

You listed the M105A2 as a trailer, you're interested in. It is a 1 1/2 ton that was made to be towed by the 2 1/2 ton trucks. They are way too big and heavy, without cutting down, to use with normal size vehicles.

We had a Chrysler when I was a kid that had left hand threads on one side and my dad said it was so they wouldn't back off. All of the arbor bolts on sawmill gang saws have the threads that tighten against the rotation for this same reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom