WTB older 7 speed Shifter Alivio (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MJM

Threads
I am looking to help out a friend by fixing her bike on the cheap. I worked at a bike shop while in college as the lead mechanic and still mess around a little fixing bikes for people who can not afford to spend the money. I am looking for a 7 speed shifter with the brake lever attached. This is for old style cantilever brakes. The bike has the super high end Alivio groupo on it and I would like to keep it that way.
I hope you realize that is is a joke.
PM me if you have anything

it would be a serious performance upgrade to go with an 7speed indexed thumb shifter.....or you could pop open the alivio pod and be on your hands and knees for two hours looking for springs, pawls, and other watch sized mechanisms.:rolleyes: I dont have one because I put those dumb things where they belong.....the wastebin.

I assume you need the right side. I.e. the one that always breaks.
ebay from Hamshire UK:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Ali...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item5af1c20809

Ebay from France: (only 39$ shiped to east coast):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-SHIMANO...863?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257e78c0df

good luck and seriously, get some shimano xt thumbshifters:

6 speed (works with 7, indexes the same):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIMANO-DEO...0917960324?pt=US_Shifters&hash=item1e7b518a84

I am looking to help out a friend by fixing her bike on the cheap. I worked at a bike shop while in college as the lead mechanic and still mess around a little fixing bikes for people who can not afford to spend the money. I am looking for a 7 speed shifter with the brake lever attached. This is for old style cantilever brakes. The bike has the super high end Alivio groupo on it and I would like to keep it that way.
I hope you realize that is is a joke.
PM me if you have anything

What is broken on it? Is it that the shift lever just moves freely without pulling any cable? If that's the case then you can most likely fix it. What happens is that the grease they used at the factory inside the shifter has gummed up from being old and the shifter not being used. That causes the pawls to stick open and the springs are not strong enough to return them to the ratcheted part. I've been successful using a pokey tool and some Tri-Flow to free the pawls of their sticky grease. My method requires that the cable remains in the shifter with it disconnected from the derailleur and the cable housing removed. Loosen the clamp so you can rotate the shifter upside down so that it is facing up. If the shifter has a cover that comes off, remove it. This makes it WAY easier. If the whole thing is going to come apart if you take the cover off then don't take it off. With your pokey, get those pawls moving again, back and forth, over and over and over. While you lightly tension the disconnected cable with your hand and start clicking the shifter around. Eventually, after doing this repeatedly, the pawls will start to return on their own again, catching the ratchet, and the shifter will work fine. New cable, housing, and end caps and you're golden.

Side note: My boss would hate it when I'd spend 30 min fixing some customers s***ty old shifter instead of just selling a new one. I always felt compelled to try anyway.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Cutting the brake off good idea

I will try to fix the shifter and check the area you described.

No need to upgrade this bike since it is not mine.

Thanks for the ideas.

What is broken on it? Is it that the shift lever just moves freely without pulling any cable? If that's the case then you can most likely fix it. What happens is that the grease they used at the factory inside the shifter has gummed up from being old and the shifter not being used. That causes the pawls to stick open and the springs are not strong enough to return them to the ratcheted part. I've been successful using a pokey tool and some Tri-Flow to free the pawls of their sticky grease. My method requires that the cable remains in the shifter with it disconnected from the derailleur and the cable housing removed. Loosen the clamp so you can rotate the shifter upside down so that it is facing up. If the shifter has a cover that comes off, remove it. This makes it WAY easier. If the whole thing is going to come apart if you take the cover off then don't take it off. With your pokey, get those pawls moving again, back and forth, over and over and over. While you lightly tension the disconnected cable with your hand and start clicking the shifter around. Eventually, after doing this repeatedly, the pawls will start to return on their own again, catching the ratchet, and the shifter will work fine. New cable, housing, and end caps and you're golden.

Side note: My boss would hate it when I'd spend 30 min fixing some customers s***ty old shifter instead of just selling a new one. I always felt compelled to try anyway.

Hope this helps.

That was trick. A little brake cleaner then some lube and it is working just fine.
The bike is back on the road.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom