Weber carb issue Help Sarge! PLEASE! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I‘be been reading threads on here for quite awhile dealing with Weber carbs. I could really use Sarge’s help! Especially with adding a return line from the carb (?) and general questions.
Installed a Weber 38 on my 73 Jeep CJ5 2 years ago but thanks to two back surgeries and a total knee replacement, I just this spring finally got to drive her again. Jetting and tuning were done prior to my being laid up and she ran GREAT on the road but after taking her off-road this spring, she wouldn’t run worth a poot when bouncing around off road.Talked with Randy at Redline and adjusted floats and that helped. Then went out the other day and she started backfiring and generally acting as tho she was running out of fuel. Installed redline electric fuel pump when the mod was done back near the fuel tank and had 3.5 psi at the carb. The fuel was surging into the clear fuel filter after the issue the other day so I figured the electric fuel pump had gone tits up and replaced it with a new mechanical along with a Holley fuel regulator. Again, 3.5 psi at the carb but she runs rough at idle and lopes something terrible now. I tried going to just mechanical fuel pump without the regulator just to see and she still runs like crap. There’s 6 psi at the carb without the fuel pressure regulator. When I did the carb install, I also installed new fuel tank, fuel gauge sending unit, and all new lines. It acts as though the fuel isn’t getting picked up correctly from the fuel tank although I can’t for the life of me see WHY that would be happening. She has a DUI ignition and was built for the Weber carb when we restored the Jeep back in 1998. I just never bought and installed it as the Carter two barrel was fine until the shafts finally gave up the ghost. I
was going to drop the fuel tank today and install a return line from the top port of the Weber back to the tank. I ordered a .250 viton needle and seat and was going to recheck floats when I install the new viton set. Then recheck the fuel line back to the mechanical pump and then reinstall the fuel pressure regulator etc.There are no vacuum leaks that I can find and the timing and ignition is all fine as far as I can tell. Any and all help would greatly be appreciated!! I’m about two shakes from trashing the Weber and going back to a Carter as then I can at least drive her off-road again. A lifted Jeep with 35 TSL-SX’s isn’t worth a crap if all I can do is drive it on the road. Elk season starts in a few days for me and I REALLY need my Jeep!!
thanks in advance!

Radar

Bolted this carb to a clifford intake. Set the best lean idle and took it for a spin. Wow! what an improvement! I should have put this carb on the day I bought the jeep 🚘. Much snappier and crisp throttle. Way better than my 1.14 mc2100 🚀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom